1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Interesting! Thanks for sharing

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Any dog with a CGC before Jan 2013 will be grandfathered in. AKC will have a form available then to convert the CGC certificate to a title.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Any dog with a CGC before Jan 2013 will be grandfathered in. AKC will have a form available then to convert the CGC certificate to a title.
I think they will be grandfathered for a fee....$20 I think?

If they are going to make this an actual title, hope they tighten up on the judging, and qualifications to be a judge. I've seen a few Canine not-so-Good Citizens!

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
I have to agree with you there and they need to have a minimum age of ADULT, because some of the aggression things may not come out in a puppy.

I cannot believe this is going to be a title........sad

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Well, there is now a therapy dog title so I don't see why not have a CGC title too. I don't think it's a big deal, people know what the CGC entails and a lot of people already use the CGC as a suffix to their dogs' names for unofficial things (I know I do) so making it an official title doesn't really change too much except now you will be able to know which dogs have passed the CGC because I assume it will be listed on official forms and such (where the dogs' name and title are listed.)

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I think it's silly. It's obviously a money-maker, as there are no differences between them other than you paying the AKC for the title.

The Therapy Dog title I think is a great thing. It signifies a LOT of hard work and time put into the work. Honestly I think that title is more difficult to get than *any* of the Novice titles (obedience, rally, agility).

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
While there is a lot of extra time involved in getting the therapy dog title since you have to log a certain amount of volunteering hours, many of the therapy dog organizations' tests are basically the CGC with a few extra segments or requirements added. So I'm not sure I'd say it was more difficult except in that it does take up more of your time, but if you are doing animal assisted therapy anyway it's not like it takes any extra time/effort. If they had the title available when my previous dog was still around she would have qualified for it, well if I had ever gotten around to sending in the ILP forms that is.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I'm an AKC CGC evaluator and honestly I'm surprised that it's going to be a title. I think a lot more people will take it now, maybe that's the motivation for the change

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
While there is a lot of extra time involved in getting the therapy dog title since you have to log a certain amount of volunteering hours, many of the therapy dog organizations' tests are basically the CGC with a few extra segments or requirements added. So I'm not sure I'd say it was more difficult except in that it does take up more of your time, but if you are doing animal assisted therapy anyway it's not like it takes any extra time/effort. If they had the title available when my previous dog was still around she would have qualified for it, well if I had ever gotten around to sending in the ILP forms that is.
Kenya passed the CGC three times (1 CGC and then 2 different pet therapy tests that were basically the same) but we never actually did pet therapy so she wouldn't qualify for the therapy dog title. I do CGCs with all my dogs multiple times but there's no way I have the time to earn therapy dog titles with them all. It takes me less time to train a dog for a CPE level 1 agility title or even advanced rally title than just logging enough hours for a therapy title.

Personally I think titles should involve more than a one-time basic test. Other titles require a certain amount of hours, legs, Qs, multiple phases, etc.

·
Registered
31,874 Posts
When signing up for a dog show, I list Babs, as Babs Sweet Surprise CD RA, but I see a lot of people in the catalog at the show listing CGC after their dogs' names like it is a title.

When I get the paperwork back from registering a litter, it lists the CD and the RA, and not the CGC automatically.

So now I can pay $20 or some other fee, considering I did pay for the certificates, to transfer them to titles if I want to do so. No big deal if you have one dog with a CGC, but it can be pricey if you have 7 of them. Is it truly worth it?

For anyone who knows anything, "RN CGC" really doesn't sound any more impressive than "RN." But the CGC does actually test other things. Shall I? Shall I not?

I don't understand why the AKC didn't go whole hog and say that the title will be awarded if you pass the test under at least two different evaluators, at three separate events -- that would eliminate the fact that a lot of instructors, teach a class and then pass dogs that are maybe not so ready to pass, because that looks good, and people might keep coming back if they don't fail. Oh yeah, you don't fail the CGC, you just have some type of needs training designator. Not passing is so much better than failing I suppose.

But then, I expect to be kicked out of CGC classes any day with my current bitch pup, lol! That might be something to write home about.

·
Registered
31,874 Posts
Kenya passed the CGC three times (1 CGC and then 2 different pet therapy tests that were basically the same) but we never actually did pet therapy so she wouldn't qualify for the therapy dog title. I do CGCs with all my dogs multiple times but there's no way I have the time to earn therapy dog titles with them all. It takes me less time to train a dog for a CPE level 1 agility title or even advanced rally title than just logging enough hours for a therapy title.

Personally I think titles should involve more than a one-time basic test. Other titles require a certain amount of hours, legs, Qs, multiple phases, etc.
I passed the CGC a number of times with Rushie, and then passed the TDI. I got all the paperwork done and back, and the bandanna and all that stuff, but then I sold him before I ever had a chance to do any therapy work with him. I wouldn't want to bother the facilities to log my hours with them anyway. So it's just as well. Yes, it would be more work to get a Therapy Dog Title -- they went over board on that one, and the CGC, they went way wimpy in my opinion.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
I don't understand why the AKC didn't go whole hog and say that the title will be awarded if you pass the test under at least two different evaluators, at three separate events...
Completely agree. Even in the easiest agility title (that I know of) CPE CL1-R (Standard) you still have to have two Q's to earn the title. Granted, not so hard to earn this title in your first trial since many CPE trials offer standard twice. But the fact remains, it's still two Q's.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
but we can't put any SAR or Police Certifications on a pedigree and they are truly meaningful. I think they are going to have one for disaster dogs too but that is only a small percentage of certified SAR dogs.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I agree. Even a herding test [HT} has to be passed by two events with two different judges and it's not a title, same with the PT. Our obedience club offers the test after the end of each 6 wk obedience class. A one time test shouldn't be a title.

·
Registered
31,874 Posts
Maybe the AKC should just offer an IPTF title and get it over with.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I don't understand why the AKC didn't go whole hog and say that the title will be awarded if you pass the test under at least two different evaluators, at three separate events -- that would eliminate the fact that a lot of instructors, teach a class and then pass dogs that are maybe not so ready to pass, because that looks good, and people might keep coming back if they don't fail.
That's actually a good idea. It would be a little bit more like the other titles that way, and also would show that the dog probably didn't just pass as a fluke or just because they were having a "good day"... All my dogs who took the CGC passed it twice anyway because it was part of a therapy dog test they took, after they'd already taken the CGC once.
I know the Dog Scouts certification requires that the evaluators have to have seen the dog on 3 separate occasions, you can't just show up on test day and pass the test.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Do most of you do your own training through for the CGC? Or do I really need to take her to a specific class? A vast majority of the test seems to be "basics" that I have for my dogs anyway.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Do most of you do your own training through for the CGC? Or do I really need to take her to a specific class? A vast majority of the test seems to be "basics" that I have for my dogs anyway.
I took a class. Pimg was the star of the class at the time because she could have easily passed exercises 1-9. It was the supervised separation that killed us, and so I took a class to specifically work on that exercise. For that reason, the class was useful and we barely passed exercise #10. Without the class, I don't think we would have passed it. :crazy:

I do really question if the supervised separation should be passable with a GSD. I've seen SO MANY threads started on this particular problem. I think that the bond that the GSD forms with its owner sure makes it difficult to just be passed off to someone else. But then again, I think a strong nerved GSD should be able to handle three mins of absence from its owner...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts