German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have signed up to take the CGC/Therapy Dog test with my dad's black lab.

Anything I need to know before hand? How can I stage a "fake" test? Is a flat collar or harness better? He does everything off leash right now (he's 7ish years old) Thor isn't AKC, that isn't a problem is it?

We're so excited to start, once we pass we get to go to the childrens' nuero unit at the local hospital

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Let's see if I remember- just had the usual heel with turns, a sit/stay, down/stay, the dog had to sit for examination, greet a stranger with their dog, recall from 10 ft., we had to leave the dog with someone while we left the building for 3 mins I think. Whatever collar you normally use, except prongs aren't allowed. I'm sure your guy will pass!

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
You can get the details of the exercises and rules for the entire test off the AKC website. Best thing would be to read them there so you're familiar with it, and then maybe do a practice run on things like the friendly greeting with another dog, etc... if you can. None of the CGC exercises are difficult and none should be a problem with a dog who's decently trained and has an overall sound temperament. But doesn't hurt to do a run through ahead of time for peace of mind.

I've never considered using a harness, and am not sure they are allowed (I'm sure it says in the rules), and would just use a flat collar.

A dog does not need to be AKC registered, or a purebred, to test for the CGC.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts