German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does your dog have it's certificate?
At what age was/is your dog when it received it?
What was the hardest part of the test for your dog?
How many years in training before you took the test and passed?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Does your dog have it's certificate? Yes

At what age was/is your dog when it received it? 1.5

What was the hardest part of the test for your dog? Controlled separation

How many years in training before you took the test and passed? 1.3 most CGC stuff was covered by basic puppy obedience, just needed work on the separation part which we covered as part of training for the BH

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
no certificate. we have the test result paper but don't see the need in the certificate.

11 months.

IDK, i wasn't there. wife did it.

about 3 months of weekly basic obedience classes.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
our class worked on the separation thing last night -- oh yeah that was a huge need to work on thing. Roxy HATES me being out of her sight...they had us go in the bathroom and I could hear the whining from clear in there. This is going to be the part I am most worried about....and she didn't want any part of having somebody brush her. I have one of those kong zoom grooms and that is what she likes being brushed with by ME :( we have a long way to go I think ...and she's 1.5 and this is time 4 of being in class. 1st time through level 2.
The trainers assistant has a 4 year old gsd that still isn't ready either so I get it ...some mature slower than others.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Yes

9 months

The separation was definitely the hardest, she rarely lets me out of her sight, let alone left with a stranger.

We had a basic obedience class before doing the CGC.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
4 out of 6 of my dogs have it.

Tannor and Robyn both went to obedience classes that included all phases of the test. There are 3 levels with the end goal being the CGC. Both Robyn and Tannor were about 10 months with ongoing training in their classes. The same for Brennan, but he was a little over a year by the time he was done with those same classes. Midnite the male GSD never had any training for any part of the test and passed it at about a year and a half. None of them had any issues with any part of the test.

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
Truthfully...I hate classes that train just for the CGC exercises. I don’t think it teaches the dog anything but the exercise…and like your dog, it doesn’t really help get them over things and truly doesn’t prove anything because if you do just get your dog used to a certain brush…the dog might still fail when a different brush is used for the test.

My first dog…that I raised from a puppy. Got his at around two years old. I had to wait a little for maturity, but it was mostly just working on the stay. He had his CD before that, and we just kind of trained for obedience, not really the exercises. I knew his temperament would get him through the touching/noise exercises. Plus…with enough obedience, the dog should just get through some of that stuff. He also had his temperament certification from the GSDCA by that point as well…so I knew he could handle more than what the CGC tests for.

My female…got her in December at 2.5 years old, worked a bit in obedience, started IPO work, just passed her CGC this summer. We have a CGC evaluator that comes to our training group, and she offered to give the test to the dogs. It was really fun. Our helper was in the group for the walking around people exercise…and all the dogs passed with flying colors.

I think the training just needs to be about training a good dog, rather than focusing so much on the exercises. You start to put too much stress on the dog when you’re really focusing on just those 10 exercises and trying to get over one or two of the issues you’re seeing. If you don’t make the training a big deal, your dog won’t think a lot of stuff is a big deal. But when you’re constantly pushing a brush at them, grabbing their feet, ect…you’re not letting the dog be themselves. You’re just doing things to the dog that it doesn’t like and doesn’t understand why you’re doing them to it.

As far as your trainer’s assistant having a 4 year old dog that still hasn’t passed the CGC…I’m sorry…that’s not maturity, that’s a failure in training or just bad temperament. There shouldn’t be any excuse for not having a CGC by 4 years old…maturity is just a cop out, especially for someone that wants to be a dog trainer.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
we don't think we're going to do any basic classes with our newest pup before the test. he's 8 months and we're just going to take the test so he can start the advanced off leash training. he already has all the basic commands cemented in and is extremely socialized. no point in wasting time teaching what he already knows. we want to jump him into our trainer's rally/advanced obedience, agility and a little nosework classes but he's just still too much a complete goofball right now with not enough attention span. may a couple more months.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Yes

9 months

The 3 minute separation

Bear has been in some type of training since we brought him home at 12 weeks. His obedience club did the test.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Passed the test, didnt send in for certificate as he's not AKC

9 months

Hardest part was being close to another dog. He wanted to play so we had to work on that a lot.

Did obedience training since he was 4 months old

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As far as your trainer’s assistant having a 4 year old dog that still hasn’t passed the CGC…I’m sorry…that’s not maturity, that’s a failure in training or just bad temperament. There shouldn’t be any excuse for not having a CGC by 4 years old…maturity is just a cop out, especially for someone that wants to be a dog trainer.
No , let me reword that...she is a "helper"...not an assistant. She is in charge of setting up classes and stuff and all of her dogs are rescue dogs...this was a bad home this one came out of. So she hasn't had him the whole 4 years. He has some aggression issues she is working through with him. I should have clarified all of that.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
we have only the last 2 weeks been focusing on the testing part. Before that it was more just heeling, sit, stay ..the basic commands only pushing a little harder. Last night was our best night in class and of course it was the last one for this session. :( we take a week off and then back at it.
Sounds like most of the same dogs are returning..I think this will help. Most of the time we are meeting new dogs ( which I know Roxy has to learn) ...but if it's pretty much the same dogs maybe she will focus like she was last night. Last night she was a little gem.

Maria -- you know we have that same "play" mentality too....that's another hard one. I am trying to get it so Roxy knows when we go down there we are there to work..but it's so hard for her...another dog means PLAY TIME. Even when I go in with a "we are working" attitude. She's like..."whatever ...there's another dog...let me play

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Passed the test, didnt send in for certificate as he's not AKC
i don't think your dog has to be AKC registered to get a certificate. it's only 8 bucks for unregistered and mixed breeds for certificate only. it's 20 bucks for registered dogs if you want an official CGC designation on the dog's AKC title.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
2 of my 3 have theirs.

Recon got his at 9 mos. he trained up until that point for it.

Frag got his around 2? He also trained up until that point for it.

For Recon, the hardest part was reaction to noise, leash walking and greeting a friendly stranger(too friendly).

For Frag it was greeting a friendly stranger (wary/aggressive history) and supervised separation.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Truthfully...I hate classes that train just for the CGC exercises. I don’t think it teaches the dog anything but the exercise…

My first dog…that I raised from a puppy. Got his at around two years old. I had to wait a little for maturity

So a serious sport dog person like yourself can take 2 years waiting for "maturity" for a dog raised from 8 weeks and not think its a cop out? It seems like you are holding a double standard.

For the record, my personal view is 2 years waiting for maturity is not a cop out. All dogs and trainers are different. But you are the one setting the "cop out" standard above.

Yeah, I get that the other person is someone wanting to be be a dog trainer but we don't know when that person started training the now 4 year old dog.

I agree that training only to the CGC is not the best idea. Nevertheless, CGC sets some good, achievable goals that all dog owners should be striving for if not already met. I train lots of different things including CGC-related goal training.

To the OP: No CGC yet but we are working on it (he's almost 6 months, raised from 8 weeks). Reaction to another dog is the tough part for us as Linus just loves meeting and playing with other dogs. I think we will be ready in few more months if not sooner.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
So a serious sport dog person like yourself can take 2 years waiting for "maturity" for a dog raised from 8 weeks and not think its a cop out? It seems like you are holding a double standard.
:thumbup:

that also confused me.

·
Registered
519 Posts
All four of my adult dogs have the Canadian version of it called Canine Good Neighbour (CGN) which they cannot pass until they are one year old.
Sweetie the pit bull was four years old I think (I had owned her for two years). Passing the other dog was the hardest, she can be DA. We did go to CGN classes prior to taking the test, as well as a lot, lot, lot of training (she was a baaaad dog when I adopted her).
Evie the border collie mutt was 2yo. No prior training/classes aside from basic training with me. Hardest part was visiting a friendly stranger (she is a lip licker).
Eli was a year old, no prior training/classes aside from basic training with me. No part was difficult for him.
Cajun was tested with his original owner - he would have been a year old. I suppose it is no longer valid but it doesn't matter to me, he did pass the test at one point in his life.

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
Ummm no...

I wasn't going around making "excuses" for why my dog didn't have a CGC. The situation that presented itself as OP wrote about it BEFORE I posted...was that it was someone that was an assistant trainer and didn't have the title they were supposedly helping others train for because their dog wasn't "mature" enough. The CGC was not meant to be a difficult test, and when you have dogs passing that test before the age of one, I have a hard time believing that there is a dog out there that isn't mature enough by 4. After OP explained more about the situation, it's different. Of course I wouldn't expect the do to pass then. My original opinion was based on the fact that if I was training somewhere, and that person was "helping" and using maturity as an excuse...it wouldn't fly with me. Especially not at 4 years old.

I guess you decided to skip the parts where I said my dog had tested for his TC before that and also had his CD before that as well (a harder title by 99% of standards).

It's cool though if you want to make yourself look dumb by calling someone else out on misunderstood facts, next time, work on your comprehension. I'm also not sure how 2 years and 4 years equate...in my book, a two year old dog is probably less mature than most 4 year old dogs. Dogs don't generally lose maturity as they get older. So where does this "double standard" come into play? Or do you not know what that means as well?

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Kaiju doesn't have his yet. Though it's through no fault of his own. He's passed everything except supervised separation before (we've attempted the test once already). I'm sure he'll pass once I work him through supervised separation, but that's on me for not really working it through yet. :eek:

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
It's cool though if you want to make yourself look dumb by calling someone else out on misunderstood facts, next time, work on your comprehension. I'm also not sure how 2 years and 4 years equate...in my book, a two year old dog is probably less mature than most 4 year old dogs. Dogs don't generally lose maturity as they get older. So where does this "double standard" come into play? Or do you not know what that means as well?
No one misunderstood, here. You said "My first dog…that I raised from a puppy. Got his at around two years old. I had to wait a little for maturity, but it was mostly just working on the stay."

then you said, "…maturity is just a cop out"

YOU had to wait for maturity, but it's a cop out for someone else to do?

You like blaming comprehension, don't you?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts