German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching the Dog Whisperer and Cesar had this blue vest for a dog. It said on the vest;
IN TRAINING
No Touch
No Talk
No Eye Contact

Does anyone know where I could find one of these?
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
ebay has a few that say dog in training do no disturb.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Think I spelled his name wrong . . . :)
People always wanna make friends with Bo. Bo does not want to make friends with strangers. This may get the message across . . .

·
Registered
394 Posts
therapydogvest.com has a few choices....and you can get a custom made one too.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Pretty much any vendor that sells Service Dog vests will have the vest and "in training" patches, but I have never seen any place that sells "No Touch", "No Talk", "No Eye Contact". The closest I've seen is, "Do not Pet", which most Service Dog suppliers sell.

You could buy a plain vest and then have someone embroider the text for you, either directly to the vest or on a patch that you can attach to the vest via Velcro.

You could also make your own vest if you wanted, they are not difficult to make at all. When my Abby was a mascot for Army Recruiting, I made her a camouflaged vest and I put Velcro to add her name tapes to it. I've had a couple of different name tapes made with "Abby" and also "Therapy Dog" and "Recruiting Dog" and they're very easy and convenient to switch. I now use the same vest for Ronja, and just had new name tapes made at the local surplus store.

If you wanted to go that route, I recommend 1800nametape.com Home Page to get the tapes done. They will do just about any combination of background and text color, and will do all of them on Velcro or without Velcro if you wanted to just sew them on. I got some nice black ones with yellow text there for Abby's old collar.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tanks guys!:D

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I think I saw that episode! He told the lady that he made it for her dog (boston terrier if I remember right?). So I don't think he just purchased it, but had it made.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I don't want to be an alarmist, but these kind of things can pierce liability veils. The absolute worst are the "Caution K-9" stickers for vehicles.

If, God forbid, your dog ever bit someone, these types of acknowledgements could establish your dog was at fault because he is in "Training" and "No Eye Contact" was plainly stated.

At best they eliminate avenues of defense, and at worst they establish known risk.....neither is good for your dog in a bite case.

The systemic cure is a well socialized dog not signage.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I don't want to be an alarmist, but these kind of things can pierce liability veils. The absolute worst are the "Caution K-9" stickers for vehicles.

If, God forbid, your dog ever bit someone, these types of acknowledgements could establish your dog was at fault because he is in "Training" and "No Eye Contact" was plainly stated.

At best they eliminate avenues of defense, and at worst they establish known risk.....neither is good for your dog in a bite case.

The systemic cure is a well socialized dog not signage.
Okay, how do you get there? I mean to a well socialized dog when you have well intentioned people with un-welcomed contact? At some point, you have to communicate to others to leave them be. I respect those signs and appreciate knowing that dogs are "working" to be the best version of themselves and even though I may have good intentions, they may not welcome my advance as they are learning to overcome their issues.

Those acknowledgements should be standards of etiquette, for greeting *any* strange dog and drilled into people. That should be the concern foremost than any potential litigation. IMHO.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Okay, how do you get there? I mean to a well socialized dog when you have well intentioned people with un-welcomed contact? At some point, you have to communicate to others to leave them be. I respect those signs and appreciate knowing that dogs are "working" to be the best version of themselves and even though I may have good intentions, they may not welcome my advance as they are learning to overcome their issues.

Those acknowledgements should be standards of etiquette, for greeting *any* strange dog and drilled into people. That should be the concern foremost than any potential litigation. IMHO.
What "should be" and the law are two different things. I agree there should be etiquette, but the law says if Joe Public fails to follow that expected etiquette in a public venue...and there is a bite, you're liable and the dog is exposed to euthanasia....because of "reasonable care". You as a GSD owner are obligated to exercise reasonable care, and if you anticipate a bite risk, than reasonable care is to avoid public venues with said dog. All signage will do is affirm your awarness of the risk, and increase your financial exposure to punitive damages.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
I agree with Wayne - I cringe when I see caution signs and do not do this signs....

I have found that by putting a vest looking thing or even a backpack (Ruff Wear Performance Dog Gear | Dog Harness | Dog Boots) on a GSD, people THINK they are in training. I am not doing it for any reason other than it's easier for the dog to carry the poop bags, but people will wait to see if they can approach.

When I DID have a dangerous dog, I was very firm with people about approaching and still had some who would want to pet him even when he was snarking at them. There is nothing in the world you can do to combat that - if someone is that "unwise" you cannot help them.

What you can do is body block and use your firm voice - the same you use with your dog - when it gets to that. I put myself in front of my dog and tell the people, firmly, no. I will even EH! someone if needed.

Then, once you've broken that cycle of zombie walk toward the dog, you can say the dog was abused (even if it wasn't - people always think any dog with an issue was abused even if it is temperament issues) and people then generally accept and back away.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I see. Pardon my sarcasm, I guess, since there is no way for me to know if my dog will bite, I must limit socialization to those people I am certain that won't sue me.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I agree with Wayne - I cringe when I see caution signs and do not do this signs....

I have found that by putting a vest looking thing or even a backpack (Ruff Wear Performance Dog Gear | Dog Harness | Dog Boots) on a GSD, people THINK they are in training. I am not doing it for any reason other than it's easier for the dog to carry the poop bags, but people will wait to see if they can approach.

When I DID have a dangerous dog, I was very firm with people about approaching and still had some who would want to pet him even when he was snarking at them. There is nothing in the world you can do to combat that - if someone is that "unwise" you cannot help them.

What you can do is body block and use your firm voice - the same you use with your dog - when it gets to that. I put myself in front of my dog and tell the people, firmly, no. I will even EH! someone if needed.

Then, once you've broken that cycle of zombie walk toward the dog, you can say the dog was abused (even if it wasn't - people always think any dog with an issue was abused even if it is temperament issues) and people then generally accept and back away.
Thanks, I agree. If I can't warn them with signage, it will be with abrupt rudeness. Sorry, I'm not meaning to be snarky about this. People are beginning to tick me off. I see a sign, I heed it's warning. The law is sucking in this, people need to be aware of risk, and take responsibility for their adherence of lack thereof.

Example: I'm at Mount Baker at the site of a beautiful but dangerous waterfall. It's fenced, warnings are in place that the rocks are mossy and very slippery, cross the line and you WILL DIE. Why did they post that? Are they admitting they have a hazard? Heck yeah. In the parking lot is a blunt sign that reads: Here are the names of those that failed to heed the warning signs and fell to their death, please don't make us add your name to the list.

Guess what, I'm not crossing that line for a picture.

I guess I'm preaching to the choir, so I'll stop my rant. :mad:

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
I see. Pardon my sarcasm, I guess, since there is no way for me to know if my dog will bite, I must limit socialization to those people I am certain that won't sue me.
Hey, it's your dog, do what you think best since you know your dog best.
Anyone who approaches a strange dog without caution is downright stupid.
By the way euthanasia means putting a dog out of it misery because it is suffering. Anything else is execution.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hey, it's your dog, do what you think best since you know your dog best.
Anyone who approaches a strange dog without caution is downright stupid.
By the way euthanasia means putting a dog out of it misery because it is suffering. Anything else is execution.
Thanks PaddyD.

When I went to meet Kelly, her parents were in the yard being exercised by their owner/trainer. I KNEW they were amped up by the play. I told my wife those very words. No eye contact with them, no talk and no touch. We're on their property, their domain, not ours and it's their rules. As we stood their talking with the lady, the big male, Kelly's daddy came over, sniffed and PUT his ball in my hand, and then waited patiently for me to throw it.

Afterward, the lady commented to us on our "greeting" etiquette and told me how much she appreciated us contributing to their training.

It's funny how a few words can make an impact and educate a person. If it occurred more frequently, we'd have less doggie executions. IMHO.

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
This ultimately is the handler's job to intercept, bodyblock, use your energy to BLOCK people from approaching and petting your dog. Vests with signs actually instead draw people to STARE, and follow alongside your dog reading aloud: "Pleeeease donnnnn't petttt meeeeeee I'mmmm worrrrkinnnng... HAHAHAHAAA, How cute is THAT!!" followed by "What's he learnin" Kin I pet him? But I ASKED, first!!" Vests seem like great ideas, but can draw in determined, pushy people with impulsive inclinations that ultimately, you would have to bodyblock and verbally correct those people anyway.
Basicly, got an anxious or aggressive dog? Be your dog's advocate by blocking (physically and verbally) the gawkers and grabbers. ;)

·
Registered
224 Posts
This ultimately is the handler's job to intercept, bodyblock, use your energy to BLOCK people from approaching and petting your dog. Vests with signs actually instead draw people to STARE, and follow alongside your dog reading aloud: "Pleeeease donnnnn't petttt meeeeeee I'mmmm worrrrkinnnng... HAHAHAHAAA, How cute is THAT!!" followed by "What's he learnin" Kin I pet him? But I ASKED, first!!" Vests seem like great ideas, but can draw in determined, pushy people with impulsive inclinations that ultimately, you would have to bodyblock and verbally correct those people anyway.
Basicly, got an anxious or aggressive dog? Be your dog's advocate by blocking (physically and verbally) the gawkers and grabbers. ;)
So what the heck, gives another reason for me to do-pop someone right?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Wouldn't it just be more easy to socialize your GSD such that Joe Public and his kids can approach and pet your dog? I struggle with why someone would be in a public venue with a GSD that did not have the nerve and socialization to be there? Regardless of how "stupid" you think people are, it is the dog owner's responsibility......and rest assured, if your dog bites that stupid person, they can sue, take your money, and the dog's life no matter what term you elect to apply.

I truly believe if your dog's nerve is such that a unfamiliar child cannot randomly approach to pet without being at risk, you have no business with that dog in public. It is your responsibility not the stupid people's.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Wouldn't it just be more easy to socialize your GSD such that Joe Public and his kids can approach and pet your dog? I struggle with why someone would be in a public venue with a GSD that did not have the nerve and socialization to be there? Regardless of how "stupid" you think people are, it is the dog owner's responsibility......and rest assured, if your dog bites that stupid person, they can sue, take your money, and the dog's life no matter what term you elect to apply.

I truly believe if your dog's nerve is such that a unfamiliar child cannot randomly approach to pet without being at risk, you have no business with that dog in public. It is your responsibility not the stupid people's.
You're right, no sense in arguing. I bow to your wisdom. I will find other places with people that understand simple rules concerning dogs that will help me an irresponsible owner socialize my weak nerved dog. :sick:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts