German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 177 Posts

·
Banned
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed Cesar millan hitting dogs like something to do with water bowl dog food Labrador aggression. He hit her several times in the episode. I noticed yanks on leashes and force. His Alpha thing bothers me i don't believe that no more. He seems to think of dogs as property too. Dog terms like owner pets etc. hate the property terms dogs are not objects living beings. No lesser than humans we have all same feelings all beings pain and strive for love. I hate brags about humans being better than all other species superior. No one is inferior to anyone. Dogs are my companions comrades best friends like other humans. I'm the guardian caretaker of dogs or best friends.

·
Registered
658 Posts
The Cesar thing is a whole can of worms, he has a lot of supporters but many people seem to forget that this is television.

I'm personally not a fan, because despite "Don't try this at home"... people do. And they do it a lot, and it presents dangerous scenarios at times.

I like that he's a supporter of exercise and I do think he cares for the dogs.

I find that really does not have a good understanding of dog behavior or body language. (Such as "panting" being a sign of a "Calm submissive" dog, when that is an indicator of stress if the dog is not hot or active prior.)

Studies have shown dogs are not as strong of pack animals as many believe, the do indeed form packs, but they are very loose knit and dogs come and go. Here's a good link explaining the scientific definition of dominance.
The Dominance Controversy | Philosophy | Dr. Sophia Yin, DVM, MS

More information on Alpha Theory
De-Bunking the "Alpha Dog" Theory - Whole Dog Journal Article

This page goes through a whole slew of reasons some are not fans.
Cesar Millan - The Dog Whisperer: Critics Answers

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Ceaser, and that video in particular, has been beaten to death in several threads on here.

Welcome to the official home of the German Shepherd Dog, a dog respected and admired throughout the world for its versatility, loyalty and intelligence. - Search Results for cesar milan

You can peruse through all those threads if you like. Also, from your previous posts I understand that you are very strongly, emotional, when it comes to dogs. I disagree that dogs are on the same level as humans, but I don't think that you need to go to the opposite extreme and say they are sub-servants to us....just a balance of below humans, but obviously deserving of respect and care because they are at the whim of human interactions, development, and industrialization. However, I would never say they are equal to humans, but to each their own. :)

·
Banned
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ceaser, and that video in particular, has been beaten to death in several threads on here.

Welcome to the official home of the German Shepherd Dog, a dog respected and admired throughout the world for its versatility, loyalty and intelligence. - Search Results for cesar milan

You can peruse through all those threads if you like. Also, from your previous posts I understand that you are very strongly, emotional, when it comes to dogs. I disagree that dogs are on the same level as humans, but I don't think that you need to go to the opposite extreme and say they are sub-servants to us....just a balance of below humans, but obviously deserving of respect and care because they are at the whim of human interactions, development, and industrialization. However, I would never say they are equal to humans, but to each their own. :)
Humans are above dogs cause why? We make stuff give shelter and such but there is way more to that than better or equal. Dogs and other species know more of them and us than we do them. humans are a disgrace so rotten to innocent creatures and show very little understanding and more misconceptions towards them. Dogs are beings if you say owner call a parent an owner of a child adopted or birth. Many vegans like me are offended to saying owner pet below than us. Ever heard no one is inferior to anyone? Animals are humans just furry we humans are furless animals. That goes for all beings. Animals attack a human is cause human was stupid and deserves it.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I dont agree with all of his methods, but I have to say he has helped me alot with my GSD. Mostly helping me realize when I was getting tense and how it goes to the dog and how to relax after giving a correction and walk with confidence. That actually just made a huge difference for me and my dog. Just watching his show and him telling the people when to relax and be calm but assertive. Cesar doesnt hit the dog he touches them which he no different than us poping the dogs collar.

·
Registered
31,907 Posts
I noticed Cesar millan hitting dogs like something to do with water bowl dog food Labrador aggression. He hit her several times in the episode. I noticed yanks on leashes and force. His Alpha thing bothers me i don't believe that no more. He seems to think of dogs as property too. Dog terms like owner pets etc. hate the property terms dogs are not objects living beings. No lesser than humans we have all same feelings all beings pain and strive for love. I hate brags about humans being better than all other species superior. No one is inferior to anyone. Dogs are my companions comrades best friends like other humans. I'm the guardian caretaker of dogs or best friends.
"I noticed Cesar millan hitting dogs like something to do with water bowl dog food Labrador aggression. He hit her several times in the episode. I noticed yanks on leashes and force."

Yeah, I am not a fan of Cesar's either, but he does have quite a following and is a self-made man.

"His Alpha thing bothers me i don't believe that no more."

The whole alpha - pack garbage, may have some grains of truth somewhere, but it is so over-done, over-used, that I think it causes way more problems than it helps.

"He seems to think of dogs as property too. Dog terms like owner pets etc. hate the property terms dogs are not objects living beings."

Well, they are property in the eyes of the law. Sorry, but that is true, and I hope that it continues to be true. I am my pet's owner, I am, therefore responsible for their behavior, their condition, their training, damages caused by them, etc. And this is true until the dog dies, is put down, or I give or sell him to a new owner. He is not going to grow up and move out on his own at any point. He is and will always be totally dependent on me unless his ownership transfers to another responsible party.

"No lesser than humans we have all same feelings all beings pain and strive for love. I hate brags about humans being better than all other species superior. No one is inferior to anyone."

While dogs have emotions and can feel pain, and can bond with people or other dogs, they are not humans. There are some significant differences that can get us in trouble if we equate dogs to humans. First and foremost, a human leaves behind a family, friends, people at work, people at church, pets etc, some of whom he is responsible to caring for. For this reason, if it comes between saving the life of any of my dogs, and any human being, I will miss my dog very, very much, and grieve for her, but I will save the human if at all possible.

I don't see it that humans are so much better than other species, but dogs are not moral beings. They can love to an extent, they can choose to obey you, but they do not make decisions based on how their action will effect other beings. Humans can do this. Dogs do not. Expecting a dog to hold to a moral code that we adopt is really unfair to the dog. We in fact, have to ensure that our dog's behavior is appropriate and prevent anything that we do not want our dog to do by protecting the dog, and being present, correcting the dog, etc.

A human being will be at some point responsible for a job, for a home, for a family, etc. A dog is never responsible for anyone. We are responsible for them and this is not going to change, no matter how much we train or trust them. We cannot let them make their own decisions because we are responsible for the consequences of those decisions.

"Dogs are my companions comrades best friends like other humans. I'm the guardian caretaker of dogs or best friends."

My dogs are my companions, my comrads, my best friends as well. But I am not their guardian, I am their owner, and that means that I am their caretaker. The whole guradian terminology comes from the animal rights movement, and it is actually very scary. Understand that the animal rights movement and the animal welfare movement are not one in the same. The individuals and organizations behind the Animal Rights Movement, like PETA, really do not like the idea of animal ownership at all. Which means, that if they do not like that you own a dog, they would like to be able to hire an attourney for your dog and take you to court to transfer the guardianship of your dog to a more appropriate entity. This is kind of the road this movement is going down. These people are as crazy as this sounds paranoid. If they feel your dog should have a larger yard to romp in, they can fight for a court to award someone else guardianship of your dog.

The Animal Welfare movements wants to ensure that people are not neglecting or abusing animals. I am all for that. And if people break laws, they may try to have a dog removed from the ownership of an individual -- that is fine too.

The difference is that the Animal Rights movement really does not believe in people living with animals. They would rather there not be any dog breeds and pet dogs die out completely, and dogs revert back to packs of feral dogs, like coyotes or wolves. The fact that you tell your dog to SIT to give him a treat is terrible to them, because you are enslaving an animal for your own ends -- they are that crazy.

There is nothing wrong with the premise of owning a dog or many dogs. This movement is trying to change the way we think about dog-ownership. Dog ownership is in fact responsibility for a specific dog and nothing more. It is not negative. They are trying to make the terminology negative to forward their attitudes of a people's relationship with animals.

I don't think any of us on this site would be happy with the world according to how Animal Rights People would have it.

·
Registered
31,907 Posts
Humans are above dogs cause why? We make stuff give shelter and such but there is way more to that than better or equal. Dogs and other species know more of them and us than we do them. humans are a disgrace so rotten to innocent creatures and show very little understanding and more misconceptions towards them. Dogs are beings if you say owner call a parent an owner of a child adopted or birth. Many vegans like me are offended to saying owner pet below than us. Ever heard no one is inferior to anyone? Animals are humans just furry we humans are furless animals. That goes for all beings. Animals attack a human is cause human was stupid and deserves it.
Uhm, animals are members of the Animal Kingdom. They can be birds, fish, reptiles, mammals, insects, arachnids, etc. Only some animals have fur. Many animals have hair. Humans are animals. All animals are not humans. Only homo-sapiens are humans. Sorry. Canines are not humans -- Different genus and spieces. We are both mammals, but that is about as far as it goes.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Because that is how God made us.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
31,907 Posts
Maybe you can answer a question for me. How can a Vegan own or be the guardian of a dog? A dog requires meat to be healthy, so the caretaker must purchase meat products for their dog -- how does that work? How is your owning a pet acceptible as it requires countless chickens, lambs, or fish to live usually in awful conditions, being raised soley to be slaughtered to feed your pet? How come the lives of those creatures are not as important as the life of your dog?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Maybe you can answer a question for me. How can a Vegan own or be the guardian of a dog? A dog requires meat to be healthy, so the caretaker must purchase meat products for their dog -- how does that work? How is your owning a pet acceptible as it requires countless chickens, lambs, or fish to live usually in awful conditions, being raised soley to be slaughtered to feed your pet? How come the lives of those creatures are not as important as the life of your dog?
I got similar questions often as a vegetarian, and it honestly got really annoying. It's the personal choice of a person to not eat a certain food, it is not the choice of the dog. A human can live perfectly fine off of non-meat/dairy products, a dog can't. A person to force their own dietary choices onto their pets is ridiculous, as is saying someone that doesn't eat meat is a hypocrite for owning a dog that eats meat. How about you go around lecturing vegan/vegetarian parents that have non-vegetarian/vegan kids?

If someone so chooses, they can be selective of where and what kid of meat/dog food they buy, just as some people buy "free-range chicken" and things of the sort.

·
Registered
852 Posts
As stated, this topic has been gone over and over a million times. Here's my opinion: He has never hurt an animal. He never does anything worse than a mother dog would do to a pup. The Alpha mindset can be taken too far by some, but the idea behind it works if done properly. Although I say I am my dog's owners, I really don't think of it that way. They mean a great deal to me, so I do everything I can for their betterment. However, I realize that being a human, with a human brain, I have dominion over animals. I do not think that this makes me better, but it is a great thing because I can protect the animals and provide for them. I also acknowledge that they do a lot for me, but in the long run I know what is best for them so they need to listen to me.

·
Registered
31,907 Posts
I got similar questions often as a vegetarian, and it honestly got really annoying. It's the personal choice of a person to not eat a certain food, it is not the choice of the dog. A human can live perfectly fine off of non-meat/dairy products, a dog can't. A person to force their own dietary choices onto their pets is ridiculous, as is saying someone that doesn't eat meat is a hypocrite for owning a dog that eats meat. How about you go around lecturing vegan/vegetarian parents that have non-vegetarian/vegan kids?

If someone so chooses, they can be selective of where and what kid of meat/dog food they buy, just as some people buy "free-range chicken" and things of the sort.
But a vegan is different than a vegetarian. Humans CAN be vegetarians, dogs can't or shouldn't. But a Vegan will not use anything that is made with any type of animal products: leather shoes, milk, eggs, perfume or other products where animal-testing is used. How can such a one as that maintain a dog?

A vegetarian chooses not to eat meat, no problem with that whatsoever. I don't have a problem with people that don't want to use ANY animal products whatsoever -- Vegans either, so long as they don't want me to follow suit. But if they are a Vegan, how can they justify using animal products for their dog?

And it fits this conversation, as this person does not believe that ANY life is higher than ANY OTHER life. So how does that work. If the chickens that lay the eggs are no better than your dog's life, how can you feed your dog eggs or chicken? And I MUST feel my life is more important than the cows, pigs, chickens, and fish that I ingest or use in other ways, so why would I believe my dog's life is as important as a human's life.

I see vegetarians as people who find that eating no meat is healthier for them, and while I may admire them for that, I like beef, pork, and chicken, and feed meat to my dogs as well.

·
Registered
31,907 Posts
As stated, this topic has been gone over and over a million times. Here's my opinion: He has never hurt an animal. He never does anything worse than a mother dog would do to a pup. The Alpha mindset can be taken too far by some, but the idea behind it works if done properly. Although I say I am my dog's owners, I really don't think of it that way. They mean a great deal to me, so I do everything I can for their betterment. However, I realize that being a human, with a human brain, I have dominion over animals. I do not think that this makes me better, but it is a great thing because I can protect the animals and provide for them. I also acknowledge that they do a lot for me, but in the long run I know what is best for them so they need to listen to me.
Do you actually raise puppies?

I do.

I have this bitch, she is just so kool, great dam. She has had a young bitch in with her up to the time that she was ready to give birth to her next litter. And I was watching close, as a pregnant bitch can be a bit testy with anything that might hurt her pups. Hepsi was nearly a year old when I separated her from her dam, and she NEVER did anything close to what Cesar does to dogs.

Jenna has two six month old bitch pups in with her now. When Karma starts playing rough with Kaiah, Jenna grabs the back of her collar and pulls her away. She does not scruff her or use her mouth on her neck or anything of the sort. She plays with the puppies, and lets them walk all over her.

I have other dams who are similar in how they treat young puppies. Generally I do not leave them with the dam for close to a year though. Evenso, I have never witnessed a dam acting in anyway like Cesar. I do not see them pinning their puppies, and I do not see them scruffing them either. At most a dam might give them a bit of noise.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Do you actually raise puppies?

I do.

I have this bitch, she is just so kool, great dam. She has had a young bitch in with her up to the time that she was ready to give birth to her next litter. And I was watching close, as a pregnant bitch can be a bit testy with anything that might hurt her pups. Hepsi was nearly a year old when I separated her from her dam, and she NEVER did anything close to what Cesar does to dogs.

Jenna has two six month old bitch pups in with her now. When Karma starts playing rough with Kaiah, Jenna grabs the back of her collar and pulls her away. She does not scruff her or use her mouth on her neck or anything of the sort. She plays with the puppies, and lets them walk all over her.

I have other dams who are similar in how they treat young puppies. Generally I do not leave them with the dam for close to a year though. Evenso, I have never witnessed a dam acting in anyway like Cesar. I do not see them pinning their puppies, and I do not see them scruffing them either. At most a dam might give them a bit of noise.
Haha, I've witnessed a few whelpings from a friend of mine who breeds working Rotties (beautiful sport dogs), and it wasn't the mother that let the pups know when they were going too far, but the other puppies. I watched some 7-9 week old puppies go at each other and sounding pretty freaking vicious(growling, snarling, pinning, etc). Seems to me that puppies learn just as much, if not more, from the reactions of their litter-mates, than their mamas, and those reactions sound/seem crazy lol....but what do I know? ;-)

·
Registered
31,907 Posts
Haha, I've witnessed a few whelpings from a friend of mine who breeds working Rotties (beautiful sport dogs), and it wasn't the mother that let the pups know when they were going too far, but the other puppies. I watched some 7-9 week old puppies go at each other and sounding pretty freaking vicious(growling, snarling, pinning, etc). Seems to me that puppies learn just as much, if not more, from the reactions of their litter-mates, than their mamas, and those reactions sound/seem crazy lol....but what do I know? ;-)
Oh definitely, one day you wake up to the sound of a cornered beast in the whelping box and you run out there and it is a baby puppy! It is amazing to just sit there and watch a good dam with her pups of all ages though. I hate it when people compare a dam with Cesar, because that isn't my experience at all.

A good bitch is way more gentle and tolerant than their human counterparts.

And yes, even if a bitch is dried up, or rejects a litter, it is still better for the puppies to be with their littermates until 7-8 weeks because of what they learn from them. The bitch can be removed by 6-7 weeks, but the pups should remain together at this time. I generally leave the bitch with the puppies because they seem to adjust just fine, either way, and my bitches tend to like puppies.

·
Registered
482 Posts
But a vegan is different than a vegetarian. Humans CAN be vegetarians, dogs can't or shouldn't. But a Vegan will not use anything that is made with any type of animal products: leather shoes, milk, eggs, perfume or other products where animal-testing is used. How can such a one as that maintain a dog?
Yes, you are completely right, vegans do not use animal products. Dogs do. I am not eating the meat, the dog is. And leather shoes and perfume? I wasn't aware one needed to use cosmetics to successfully maintain a dog.

A vegetarian chooses not to eat meat, no problem with that whatsoever. I don't have a problem with people that don't want to use ANY animal products whatsoever -- Vegans either, so long as they don't want me to follow suit. But if they are a Vegan, how can they justify using animal products for their dog?
You answered your own question. They are not eating the meat/dairy products. They are helping the dog obtain the nutrients they need to live. Are vegans not allowed to bake a cake for a non-vegan friend? Sorry, Sally, I can't make your birthday cake, that contains milk and eggs and as a vegan I am not allowed to touch the stuff without being a hypocrite.

And it fits this conversation, as this person does not believe that ANY life is higher than ANY OTHER life. So how does that work. If the chickens that lay the eggs are no better than your dog's life, how can you feed your dog eggs or chicken? And I MUST feel my life is more important than the cows, pigs, chickens, and fish that I ingest or use in other ways, so why would I believe my dog's life is as important as a human's life.
Dogs aren't intelligent enough to form an opinion on the subject. Any sane person would realize that their personal beliefs do not affect their dogs beliefs. Any good dog owner is just interested in what is best for their dog, and that means meat.

I see vegetarians as people who find that eating no meat is healthier for them, and while I may admire them for that, I like beef, pork, and chicken, and feed meat to my dogs as well.
I don't think you should judge something you don't know enough about. You are basing all your judgement on assumptions. I was a vegetarian because I felt wrong for eating an animal, not because it was healthier. Some vegans choose that diet because it can also be healthier for them, not for animal rights. There are many reasons behind why someone chooses to/not to eat certain foods, and it's foolish to assume that everyone does it for the same reasons.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts

You talk about humans being so awful, but nature is also awful at times and can be very very ugly. When a male lion takes over a pride, he kills all the cubs so he can mate with the females to produce his own offspring. Its nature. Sharks, while inside the womb will eat each other until the strongest is left. There are some documented cases of where mother polar bears are eating their own young.

And you want to talk only about humans? Humans are no better or worse than any other thing in nature. At our core, deep deep down, we are all just a part of nature (So some people really should speak for themselves on where we come from, thanks!). We are one of the species that have a higher form of intelligence than others in the animal kingdom, this isn't a good or bad thing, but it does put us on top, giving us more responsibility for our actions in some ways I think. This doesn't mean that we have to look at an animal as a thing, do I own my dog? Yes Do I feel I am better than my dog? Not always, no. I am not a vegan, I eat meat, this does not mean that I do not respect the animals I am eating. From the beginning of time, (before humans imo) its been a circle of life...things living, things dying, things being killed. The way I see it, we are just part of the natural world, who has grown and gained more/other responsibilities than other animal counterparts.

I don't like or dislike Ceasar. I think many people mistake him for a trainer, when he is not a trainer. I also think that sometimes people overreact when they see something that they don't want to see, or something that is very close to going against their beliefs. The issue has been done to death, and all I will say is that, with any trainer or behaviorist, it should be looked at from all angles, and always with a few grains of salt.

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
you wouldnt think a dog is on the same level as a human if you had to choose to send in either a dog or your son/daughter to clear a house with bombs in iraq. the worst behaved dogs are the ones that people humanize.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
You talk about humans being so awful, but nature is also awful at times and can be very very ugly. When a male lion takes over a pride, he kills all the cubs so he can mate with the females to produce his own offspring. Its nature. Sharks, while inside the womb will eat each other until the strongest is left. There are some documented cases of where mother polar bears are eating their own young.

And you want to talk only about humans? Humans are no better or worse than any other thing in nature. At our core, deep deep down, we are all just a part of nature (So some people really should speak for themselves on where we come from, thanks!). We are one of the species that have a higher form of intelligence than others in the animal kingdom, this isn't a good or bad thing, but it does put us on top, giving us more responsibility for our actions in some ways I think. This doesn't mean that we have to look at an animal as a thing, do I own my dog? Yes Do I feel I am better than my dog? Not always, no. I am not a vegan, I eat meat, this does not mean that I do not respect the animals I am eating. From the beginning of time, (before humans imo) its been a circle of life...things living, things dying, things being killed. The way I see it, we are just part of the natural world, who has grown and gained more/other responsibilities than other animal counterparts.

I don't like or dislike Ceasar. I think many people mistake him for a trainer, when he is not a trainer. I also think that sometimes people overreact when they see something that they don't want to see, or something that is very close to going against their beliefs. The issue has been done to death, and all I will say is that, with any trainer or behaviorist, it should be looked at from all angles, and always with a few grains of salt.
Agree on all accounts!

I don't mean to go off on a complete tangent, I am just curious. To vegans/vegetarians that choose this lifestyle because they think it's "cruel/wrong" to eat another animal....I am curious, why is it wrong for a human to eat meat, but for another animal it is okay and accepted as "nature." I am honestly just curious, I mean absolutely no snarkiness or mean-spiritedness....I have just wondered that. My vegan/vegetarian friends do it mainly for the health-benefits (to their individual bodies) and don't do it based solely on cruelty. And then I have a friend who only eats "humanely treated/organic" animal products....which I completely understand....I just don't understand those that don't eat meat/animal products solely because they think it's wrong to eat another "animal", but are okay that in nature other animals eat meat. Just trying to understand, that's all. :)

1 - 20 of 177 Posts