German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I just had a question, I know a lot of people who hate the way Cesar Millan trains esspecially Victoria Stillwell, which I thought was pretty funny when she flipped out about him on the show America' Greatest Dog I think was what it was called. Why is it that so many people hate his training methods? and who here does and doesnt like his training methods? Thanks just curious.

·
Registered
10,225 Posts
He's less about the psychology of the dog and more about instilling the fear of what may befall them into the dog so that they quickly fall into line. It's very hard to get results on a program based on motivation and reward with only as many corrections as you need and it takes time to get results but the relationship is then built on trust, respect, and understanding. The dogs clearly react to Cesar as someone who must be obeyed lest they be tossed to the floor. If you ever see how Cesar rebukes Daddy, that is the most telling. Cesar gives him a minor verbal correction along with a hard stare and Daddy just melts into the ground and bellies up. Sorry, but I just don't want my dog to wilt like that under such tiny pressure. If I give a correction, all he needs to do is stop and wait for further instructions rather than act like I'm going to kill him and eat him for dinner. The dogs in his pack also seem very "subdued."

I *DO* like how he emphasizes discipline and exercise. Too many dogs are underexercised and overspoiled but Cesar doesn't emphasize mental exercise. If all we did with our GSDs was to take them on such a slow, controlled walk as the "Cesar Millan Walk," they would all consume our houses and excavate our yards clear across the planet. I can bike my dog until I fall off the bike but he's ready to go for more after a little rest. Mental exercise (training) does way more for my dog than any physical exercise and after a hard day of mental exercise, he's good for the next couple days. Back on the psychology, the alpha rolls that he's so well known for is completely against anything a dog is naturally prepared for. Dogs don't get shoved into position by any leader other than a tyrant out to destroy- the dogs move into this position on their own to appease and reduce the pressure.

Victoria Stillwell I think is much better. Of course she does things I don't agree with, but I have yet to meet a trainer that is 100% right on every single thing. I used to really like Cesar, but as I learned more about dogs and training and behavior, I like him less and less.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I like him a lot.

Just as far as a viewer of his show. He has taught me a lot.

I do not try his stuff out on my dogs myself. I walk them a lot more now. He would say I humanize my dogs to much, because....hmmm, I DO. They walk in front of me on a leash and tug me. Hmmm, maybe I should call him.
Image uploading. Refresh page to view

He has just helped me understand them. I have always related to the pack philosopy. I am one of the pack, my DH is pack leader. I am getting there though. They listen sometimes.

I feel he understands dogs, and cares very deeply for them. He helps the people to.

He is just under a microscope because he is on TV. But he gives a lot of dogs a chance when others would not. I admire his work with aggression. I could not do what he does.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I dont like cesars methods, but if it get some irresponsible owners out there to take control of their animals im okay with it.
a umbrella with a hole in it sucks but its better than non

Victoria is funny I enjoy the show, although some of her ways get to me too.

·
Registered
27,245 Posts
Great explanation, Diana!
I watch both Cesar and Victoria's shows, anything concerning dogs, I am interested in. I agree totally with the way poor Daddy submits whenever Cesar corrects, or even shows him attention. I love the Dogtown series, and the trainers are pretty good in properly dealing with different dogs issues to rehab them.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
The link posted by skye'smom to the thread with the article in it explains it best.
I personally don't really care for many of his methods, but he does have some good suggestions. Such as remaining calm while training your dog.
He's showing people that dogs need training and that is good. I believe that he has good intentions.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
I think that Cesar has done a great service to the dog training community by making dog training main stream through his TV show. It shows average people that a) dogs can be trained regardless of what previous issues and training they have had and regardless of how old they are and b) anyone can work with their dog once they've been shown how to do it.

I also noticed that his more recent episodes are more gentle than some of the early ones, although some of his methods are still not what I would use on my dog. As with any trainer, I take what works and leave what doesn't.

Cesar has a new DVD set out called "Mastering Leadership", which is a 3 DVD set explaining methods on working with your dog, becoming pack leader, and bringing a new dog home (choosing a dog, etc.). I was sent a copy of the set to review by the company publishing it, and haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but when I do, I will let you guys know if it's any good.

·
Registered
58 Posts
You know, we all do things differently. If you go to my website you will see that my technique cannot be any more different than his. I just tell people to go to the two different sites and make the decision for themselves.

I think it is great the fact that he lives with 30 pitbulls, and he totally gets the pack mentality. He walks the walk. But let's face it.. who has 30 dogs... or even more than 2?

The main difference between what he does and what I do is that I am a dog trainer. He admits he is not. I, like thousands of dog trainers, teach people to teach their dog to sit and so on. My philosophy is that they are living in our world. He lives in the dog's world. Don't get me wrong, you need to understand your dog and my "first 30 days" deals with that. But it is all about building the trust and building an awesome relationship. There is more on my site under "about companionsfor life".

I also will add that after 30 years of doing this, I don't know one person that subscribes to anything that he does. But again, if people can buy his stuff and learn from it, that's great.

·
Moderator who has gone to the dogs
14,619 Posts
Originally Posted By: JoelSilverman

I think it is great the fact that he lives with 30 pitbulls, and he totally gets the pack mentality. He walks the walk. But let's face it.. who has 30 dogs... or even more than 2?
I have more than 2 and I know of several others that do as well.

Chance are no one is going to agree 100% with any one trainer. There is some stuff that Cesar Millan does well and there is other stuff I would handle totally different.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
I have 5 k9s under my roof, and although, thankfully, none of my dogs have ever needed the level of correction that Cesar illustates on his show, I think he has some good points. I do, however, have a problem with a dog training show that starts off with "Please don't try these techniques without a professional." It gives me a big heads up that we don't get to see all that goes on, and I worry about the people who are new to owning dogs, or who don't have the common sense to discriminate between normal behavior issues and more serious problems.

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
Originally Posted By: JoelSilvermanBut let's face it.. who has 30 dogs... or even more than 2?
Me. Right now I have 3 of my own and two fosters. At my peak I had 4 GSDs, a Cocker, a Corgi mix and a couple GSD rescues.

This is one of my favorite pictures, taken many years ago. My friend with her five dogs (all the non-gsds except the Cocker) and me with my five (the three GSDs one the floor and the one on the left side char + the Cocker) went into a professional photography studio in a busy mall (for those in the northern IL area - it was Gurnee Mills) to have their photos taken.

The photographer and her assistant told us our TEN dogs were better behaved than most peoples ONE child!

I really wish someone would make a show on how to work with your puppy or dog BEFORE the problems show up!

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Oh, I so agree on the show before problems show up!!!! What a great help!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I am sorry guys.. You are absolutely correct.. there are many people in this forum that have more than 2 dogs. I was not referring to the people in this forum, instead it was what I see across America. I am on the road a lot. When I try to explain things, it is based on what I see on a National basis. Sometimes I am appearing in front of five thousand people at some of these fund raisers and adoptions. It is at these events that I get a chance to see the amount of dogs that one family has. Based upon what I have seen, not many people have more than 2 dogs.

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
We are a screwy lot around here
I of course, have only 1 dog
for now

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
No, the average person looks at me like I have 3 heads. Have you found though, in your travels, that people who really love their breed know a little bit more?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts