German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Well let's see..rehome or, god forbid, put a dog to sleep because of aggression issues-----OR use these methods, which DO seem to work on a lot of dogs...:thinking:

BTW I have seen my dog run head first into a wall (as a puppy) and continue on as if nothing has happened. I think they are tough enough to handle a "touch" as he calls it! If other methods fail I see nothing wrong with his "touch" method. JMO.

·
Registered
30,390 Posts
That looks like a video with an agenda. I see taps and pressure but I never saw him "kick" a dog. I don't like Cesar's methods but I think people have to realize that he is dealing with dogs that have aggression problem.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
That he "kicking" the dog for non-compliance? Is he emotional when he taps the dog?

That doesn't look like any kicking of the dog in training that I have seen.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I do not consider this kicking the dog. This is getting the dogs attention. Have you ever dealt with a reactive dog that could theoretically pull you down the street? I do agree that these methods are not to be used on every dog-but these dogs are not showing signs of shutting down or other aversive effects. They stop what they are doing, they are snapped out of the process.

Animal cruelty is horrible. But if everyone starts looking for issues you will find one. When working with a small or soft dog I agree positive only training. But when working with a smart strong animal you may have to up the ante to make them realize there are consequences.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Not saying this is happening here, but some (not all) positive reinforcement people loath Cesar Milan .I know one, or should say knew one. There is a hate group on Facebook full of them. And please, I have nothing against PR, or the people who use it. I have nothing but respect for anyone's training choice.

I think some people take every opportunity to call him out. And I neither like nor dislike him but I've used some of his methods and they worked for me.

I don't think Cesar Milan would do anything to harm a dog. He doesn't appear to have that kind of personality.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Seems no worse than a correction from a prong collar. I think there's a huge difference between a correction and actually kicking the dog.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I definitely wouldn't call that kicking a dog. I have a reactive dog that I am currently working with and while I have never used that method I understand the need to "get their attention" off whatever they are focused in on. This is the method he uses. Now my dog doesn't come near the problems that he is dealing with on a daily basis so that method works for him.
I am not a Cesar follower per se, but in watching the first few seasons of his show (I don't really watch anymore) I gained a tremendous amount of respect for what he does for these types of dogs and he made me want to learn more about dogs and dog behavior. He made me want to get up and take my dogs to a training class and get out and WALK my dogs instead of just throwing them out in the backyard (Hey, I was young!)

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
I dont consider it kicking. Kicking to me is full force as hard as you can intent to hurt the dog.

I have used methods somewhat to this with my terrier. (rat/schnauzer/jack) Hats cats he does not know..he will be fine with a cat I bring in..but he will try to kill any other cat..along with squirrels, rabbits...etc etc. Small prey = high prey to him.

Hes got better, much much better as far as control issues on walks and stuff, but ive had to physically get his attention to get him off of what he is focusing on. I know it doesnt him, cause he looks at me like "wait, what? Im busy here lady!"

People can be upset about it if they want..its either that or I let him go on like a maniac cause nothing else works. (and yes, I HAVE done everything else, so spare me please, this is not a new dog in my life)

·
Registered
303 Posts
At one point in the video he even says "It's not a kick, it's a firm touch".
He obviously does that to distract the dog or to break its focus not to hurt the animal.
He uses his hands the same way. And maybe that would be considered hitting a dog by some.

·
Registered
30,390 Posts
I'm sure the purely positive people hate this, but he's giving foot corrections and fairly mild ones too. Nothing wrong this.
And..probably less detrimental to the dog than a collar correction. I've read articles on collar corrections, and dogs running full speed to the end of a tie out/leash, if hard enough can knock the dogs neck out of alignment. One vet theorized that this could cause spinal injuries and lead to seizures.

Another issue I read was that choking or using a prong collar on a reactive dog can actually make it worse. I know using a prong on Jax certainly made her more reactive.

What Cesar is doing is nothing more than breaking the dogs attention in a way that the dog isn't even sure if it came from the person as his foot is behind the dog's head. I wonder if he uses this method so that an aggressive dog looks behind him to see what touched him rather than come up the leash at the handler?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I use pr training with my dogs, because i can.
No I dont think he is "kicking" the dogs.
I wander what the person who made this video would do if an aggresive dog attacked their own dogs?
I would and have kicked full force to get an attacking dog off mine!

I hate the thought of any animal cruelty, but this world is becoming to mamby pamby.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
What Cesar is doing is nothing more than breaking the dogs attention in a way that the dog isn't even sure if it came from the person as his foot is behind the dog's head. I wonder if he uses this method so that an aggressive dog looks behind him to see what touched him rather than come up the leash at the handler?

I wondered that too..also maybe so he has constant control of the leash, as to not risk the dog getting loose?

Im clumsy when it comes to using my hands and the leash, ect. lol.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
I use pr training with my dogs, because i can.
No I dont think he is "kicking" the dogs.
I wander what the person who made this video would do if an aggresive dog attacked their own dogs?
I would and have kicked full force to get an attacking dog off mine!

I hate the thought of any animal cruelty, but this world is becoming to mamby pamby.

I use a mix of pr and corrections, I try to use more pr than anything, but when he gets focused on the cat or rabbit or, whatever, all his genes kick in and thats it....lol. But like I said, hes got better :D

·
Registered
83 Posts
If you watch enough episodes, he will occasionally use this method or the touch on the neck to "snap the dog out of it" he always explains why, the amount of pressure and shows the owner the proper method as well. We only see the edited version, but much of his consultation involves teaching the owner(s) his methods, and having them do it as well.

He statess that dogs have certain pressure/trigger points, which if touch is applied correctly, it will break the fixation, and then give you time re-direct etc.
Of course many of the viewers, believe they can be just like Cesar Millan by mimicking what is seen in the episodes, and will hurt or further damage the dog. Like they say, always seek a professional :)

If offering an aggressive dog a treat or asking them to do a well learned command while they are fixated or reactive gives you great results, just keep doing it! From my experience a reactive dogs drive easily ignores those advances, and a firm touch in a sensitive area gets their attention.

I don't believe Cesar is kicking the dog, nor is he exhibiting brute force with cruel intentions. Focusing on one aspect of a persons training style is a recipe for failure. He offers a lot of common sense principles regarding exercise, respect , rules, boundaries, limitations and dog and human psychology. I don't do dominance things like alpha rolls or believe that every little move the dog does I don't like must =domination but In respect to some trainers/and styles, Cesar is an angel :)

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
I agree with the responses. I didn't see kicks. If thats kicking, apparently I also kick (and punch?) my dogs. I frequently use body blocks and bump a dog with my foot or hand as a distraction. I've never seen any of my pets recoil from any type of force, and my girl Emma is a drama queen that will SCREAM if I accidentally step on her paw. So I can guarantee if I thump her lightly on her side to change her focus it doesn't hurt her. In fact I probably thump her with the exact same force when I'm patting her with praise for something well done.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I do correct my dogs as well as pr, but i use a halti on my GSD so cant correct by pulling at his head. He has aggression issues so is never of lead around other dogs.
In my training class we are not allowed check chains and prong collars are unheard of in England.

Bec

1 - 20 of 87 Posts