German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Afternoon to all:
As the Title states, I'm a certified Neophyte when it comes to GSD. Had had smaller dogs, but now, I'm finally realizing my dream of having a GSD. He is a Show line West German Dog, and we are very excited to have him as our new family member. Over the last several months, I have been voraciously reading the posts in this forum, and taking notes of the knowledge that this community gives to folks like me; day in, and day out. Our guy is 18 months old, and will be here this week. Meanwhile, I'm at the ready to soak up as much knowledge as I can from all of you, so that I can be a worthy owner of one of this breed magnificent animals. Apologies in advance, for my upcoming queries and "dumb" questions.
Respectfully

Soldes:greet:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the warm Welcome.
Ok, would like to get the right foods and proper equipment, so here we go:
Best quality leach brand?, best name brand treats when training? and Best lay down cushion mat brand for GSD?

Ready to be showered with your wisdom ladies and gents..

·
Super Moderator
4,824 Posts
Lordie, you would think that those are easy questions. I personally like a 6 ft nylon leash for playing around in the yard. I can allow it to drop and drag and if it gets nasty with dirt, etc, it is easy to wash. I like a nice 6 ft leather leash for going into town when we want to look good. A15 ft nylon leash is very valuable for training or long walks when you want to let your dog have a bit more freedom. a 30 long line is good for training.

For treats I like a decent quality hot dog but usually I use Red Barn rolls, although it can get crumbly so I only cut what I expect to use for that day. I buy bully sticks in bulk which makes it a little less expensive. One of my dog enjoys crunchy carrots which cost much less and have less calories.

Don't spend a lot on dog lay down mats or pillows until you know if your dog enjoys them. I bought a nice weather resistant pillow for my patio and my dogs seldom use it. I do have Chill Spot beds for those days when it gets really hot. My big-boy loves his. Sometimes I use a regular bed pillow that I no longer use for myself. Those are mostly to teach a place command. Sometimes having something to toss on the floor and say to "lay right there" is a good thing. But use a one command word, like Pillow or Place or Chill.

For gear there are so many great online resources like Drs. Foster and Smith, Chewy, Ray Allen k9, Gun Dog Supply, LupinePet...can go on and on.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Informative, concise and helpful; I'm sitting down taking notes!
A small correction, my guy is 18 weeks old, not 18 months, and he is arriving tomorrow; of course, pics will be forthcoming.
Many thanks!

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
fun times ahead --

this is just a thought -- when I buy or sell a gsd that is in the year old range I do an x ray of the hips

this information is recorded in my files . The buyer is informed of the results . He can then make an informed decision whether to go forward or not , in the event that there is an irregularity.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Thank you for the warm Welcome.
Ok, would like to get the right foods and proper equipment, so here we go:
Best quality leach brand?, best name brand treats when training? and Best lay down cushion mat brand for GSD?

Ready to be showered with your wisdom ladies and gents..
Equipment: A crate big enough for an adult GSD (with a divider that you can move to keep it the right size for puppy), a 6-foot leash or two (I just use regular nylon leashes, but a quality leather leash would probably be a good investment), a buckle collar, a martingale collar, safe chews, rope toy or other toys for tug, a kong, stainless steel water and food bowls. Maybe a long-line for training come.

Food: The brand of kibble I feed is Fromm, I have it delivered every two weeks via Petflow.com. It has worked out really well for us. Many people on this forum feed raw, which can be a wonderful choice, I think, if you have the time to research it and do it properly.

Treats: I often just use a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store, cut up, skin removed, small pieces of cheese, or diced hot dog. Sometimes I use dried liver treats from the pet store, but I don't use it enough to know the brand. Find something your dog goes crazy for, and use that.

Cushion mat: I have yet to find a dog bed that Asher doesn't chew. He is 3-years-old; I thought, surely he is old enough now to have a nice bed. Yep. He ate off the corner and de-stuffed it. The only bed I've found that lasted a reasonable time is this one:

https://www.chewy.com/coolaroo-steel-framed-elevated-pet/dp/53796?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Coolaroo&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KCQjwre_XBRDVARIsAPf7zZhDlfn63QsvWvu5E5JS8FmtPBIzN4p9VCSeWN7c9nleC0DO-pvn2K8aAlaZEALw_wcB

They finally split it open on the top somehow, and we need a new one, but it lasted months.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Ms Carmen, Car2ner & Sebrench
Thank you for answering my questions, your opinions have even more relevance, since they are based on years and years of experience with this incredible breed. And yes, even though my new pup was born in Germany, and his parents are Pink papered; we already have an appointment with the Vet, to get everything short of a Coronary Angiogram checked and done. Did not know about the friability of some the cushion beds; nice to know that some GSD's don't even like them.
Not that I plan to do this anytime soon but, at what age is proper and advisable to switch them from twice a day meals, to only once a day feeding?
Got bless you for your patience!

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I still feed twice a day as smaller meals supposedly help to prevent bloat. At 2 and 3 years old, each of my dogs eat around 5 cups of food per day (approximately 2.5 cups per dog at each feeding). If they have had a lot of treats, I give them less kibble. If they look like they are getting too lean or like they are gaining weight, I increase or decrease their food accordingly.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
I misread your post Soldes -- I read 18 MONTHS while the dog is a baby-age 18 weeks.

so one would not expect an x ray at that age .

as far as feeding - I feed raw . I do not feed on any schedule .
Depends on my day - sometimes it is at 4 pm , sometimes after 8 pm
sometimes 6 am , somtimes FAST -- a full day and sometimes a bit just because of
the time they were last fed.
They are fed once a day.
Sometimes the meal is large . Sometimes a little on smaller size .

It all evens out .

never ever had a problem -- consideration giving to young guys who are fed daily

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ms Carmen
I must confess, to making a rookie mistake in my first post: I put 18 months instead of 18 weeks, for the age of the pup; and although this was subsequently corrected, your excellent advice given was based on this premise. So, mea culpa for this misunderstanding.
If my thinking process is not failing me at this time, is it safe to conclude that once a day feeding is not wrong, as long as it provides sufficient caloric intake for the dog?. It seems that with a working family, often times feeding twice daily may not be a feasible expectation, specially if your day starts in the wee hours of the morning?.
Willing to be corrected, if this constitute an erroneous interpretation of your responses.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
If the pup is 18 weeks old then once a day is not enough. The pups stomach is not large enough to hold the food it's growing body needs.. even as an adult, it is best to feed twice a day. For a 4 most old, 3x a day minimum would be expected

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
Just get a nylon leash and build your collection from there. What you decide to do with your pup will influence what leashes will work best. None of mine have beds, one enjoys the couch the others prefer the floor, carpet and tile.

We feed twice a day, morning and evening for the adults, but with a pup I’d go 3, at least that how we’ve done it in the past. We have a pup coming in from Warsaw next week and that’ll be his schedule along with some hand feeding too. With bloat being a possibility I like to spread out the meals.

·
Super Moderator
4,824 Posts
I also feed twice a day, small breakfast, healthy training treats throughout the days some days, larger dinner...quiet activities for a few hours after dinner to avoid bloating. I use Beaverdam active dog kibble, topped with a variety of good quality canned food, not much, just enough to flavor. Sometimes I use sardines for that or lean scraps of meat from my leftovers. I do fresh fruits and veggies, an egg each day, stuff like that so it isn't the same old same old day in and day out.

I don't do raw meat. My preference. Many people do.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
My dog is now 18 months and I feed him twice a day... when he was 8 weeks I fed 3 times a day, around the 16 week mark I changed it to twice a day and it has just stayed that way.

I have spent a small fortune on dog beds and he either rips them up or doesn't like them - been the biggest waste of money. He would rather sleep on the grass, concrete or wooden floor... his choice, multiple beds are around the house which he ignores.

I've got a 6ft leash and a 15ft leash. Just standard from the pet shop.

I can't give advice on food as I am in a different country and don't have the same brands as you.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Valuable input from all. Already visited the pet store in my city tonight, and I'm armed with a 16 foot leach, Kong poop plastic bags with Sanitizer, a short leach for when taking him to the vet or short socializing outings; along with training treats, and some toys. Also got a nice cushion for the Crate, which by most accounts, may go unused or destroyed depending on my dogs fancy.
Must say that I'm surprised that most owners here feed twice a day, even after their dog turns 1-2 years; but again, this is why I'm seeking your expert advice.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I always have and still do feed my now 5 month puppy 3x a day but...half of those three meals are in my pocket for when we are out training throughout the day! Rollo eats his food too fast - its dangerous - so I have to feed him other ways. I use half of his food/meals for training and the other half is normally given to him in some sort of treat puzzle/dispensing toy to slow him down!

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I am not an expert (nor do I play one on TV) but I first heard of a wonderful idea on this forum that I think is worth passing on. If you decide to feed kibble, you might consider varying the protein source. I feed my current dog Earthborne which is a good dog food that is reasonably priced. I have only had my Rocky a few months, but first I fed him Earthborne's Meadow Feast (lamb), then their Coastal Catch (fish) and then next will be their Great Plains Feast (bison). The theory is that they will get different nutrients that way and also there seems to be some thought that feeding the same thing all the time, besides being boring, might trigger allergies over time. You might start out slow at first, just to see if your pup has a sensitive stomach. Rocky has had no trouble going right from one flavor to another.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts