German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took Dutch to the puppy romp again yesterday. He had a blast, but part of the area had a padded mat, and the other part did not. He kept playing on the hard cement with this golden-doodle, and because the cement had gotten wet, he kept slipping. I was cringing because I know that hard surfaces are bad for him. Should I not let him play there again? I want to socialize, but I'm wondering if the cost outweighs the benefit.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
i think he'll be fine. I think it has more to do with the fact you dont want them jumping down ONTO the hard floor. Playing on it helps make him comfy with that surface. I would suggest encouraging him to also play on the mats so he's comfy on those kind of surfaces as well.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
We have cement floors in our house, and if the dogs come inside with wet paws, it can be slippery. We try to discourage any running in the house to prevent falls. We have one dog with a hip replacement, and she is still healing up from that so it's a big concern for us that she not fall.

Personally, I'd try to keep the dogs playing on the mat as much as possible. And when your dog does fall on the cement, don't make a huge fuss over him if he hurts himself. Just check him all over calmly, and let him go back to playing. You don't want him to be afraid of cement floors in the future.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We have cement floors in our house, and if the dogs come inside with wet paws, it can be slippery. We try to discourage any running in the house to prevent falls. We have one dog with a hip replacement, and she is still healing up from that so it's a big concern for us that she not fall.

Personally, I'd try to keep the dogs playing on the mat as much as possible. And when your dog does fall on the cement, don't make a huge fuss over him if he hurts himself. Just check him all over calmly, and let him go back to playing. You don't want him to be afraid of cement floors in the future.
Oh I didn't even fuss. I let him play with the pups the whole time. I just cringed every time he slipped and fell. It was like he was on ice.

I also noticed he was walking gingerly last night. I think he was sore.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts