German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cedar is 15 months old (still a puppy in my eyes, so wasn't sure where this thread belonged) and is a naturally obedient dog, always has been. She's well trained and well behaved.

We just got a new puppy a little over a week ago and since then, Cedar has started to become disobedient. She's charging through doors before I even get them open, which is not normal for her. Today I tried to make her sit and "wait" (the command we use before going through a door) and she absolutely refused to sit. It's almost like she's thinking to herself that if the new puppy doesn't have to do those things, neither does she.

I've been careful to ensure she gets just as much, if not more attention than the puppy does. She gets more treats, more walks (puppy doesn't leave the property yet), etc. We've done everything we can to limit the jealousy and to be honest she hasn't shown any signs of being jealous or possessive of us.

Not sure what to do. I mean she knows the sit command as well as she's going to know it, but sometimes she just refuses to listen.

Any advice? I want to nip this in the bud before it becomes an issue.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Everything changes when you add another dog. It's why we mainly recommend a 4 yr or so split between dogs. Because you are right, your 15 month old IS still a puppy with alot of maturing to go.

So it's easier to wait and get one all trained and socialized and then have a smoother entry with a new pup/dog.

That said, you just need to be more patient and consistant with older dog. Don't loose your patience and realize things are different and it's NOT your dogs fault! Bet they were fine with the home situation and didn't ask for you to add a puppy at all!

Make time for the older dog separate from the puppy. If you aren't in dog classes with the older dog, it's a good time to start so it forces the one on one for both class time and 'homework'.

Truth of the matter is, a new puppy IS more demanding and DOES need more time, but your older puppy still needs alot more than an older dog too. So it is harder AND TO BE EXPECTED. So you just need to be know that's the situation you are in and go with the new life you've created for you household.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts