German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you all use as commands in the Open Obedience exercises? English only, please. Are there standard commands? Do you use different commands for the retrieve on flat versus over the jump?

Retrieve on flat?

Retrieve over jump?

Broad jump?

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
There aren't standardized commands so you have some flexibility. I know of a handler who says "cookie!" for her recall. :)

Here are my commands:
DOR - wait, name/come, platz, name/come, hand signal for finish
ROF - wait, name/get it, out, hand signal for finish
ROH - same as above
BRJ - wait, look at jump and say over, heel

Many people use a signal for the DOR but I prefer a verbal "Platz!"

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
260 Posts
For the ROF, I use "get it". I also hear people use "take it" or "fetch".

ROJ, I say over. He watched me throw the dumbbell and he's excited about retrieving it, but I want to make sure he takes the jump to get there. I gave the command "get it" once and he promptly went around the jump and got the dumbbell and brought it to me. Well, that's what I asked. So, I'd practice throwing it off to the side of the jump and he knew he had to jump to get it even though there was a straight path to just go get it. I know I couldn't bank on always having a straight throw over the jump.

Broad jump-I use "over".

There are no standard commands. Use what you like and what works for you and your dog.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, those are all very helpful. I'm still working on getting him excited to retrieve the dumbbell, so I'm saying "Go get it!". I think "Get It" will be a good transition.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I started playing fetch and making it fun before I taught it for competition. He wasn't interested in retrieving until I clicker trained it. Now he loves to retrieve!!!

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
Cookie is the dogs name. :laugh:

There aren't standardized commands so you have some flexibility. I know of a handler who says "cookie!" for her recall. :)

Here are my commands:
DOR - wait, name/come, platz, name/come, hand signal for finish
ROF - wait, name/get it, out, hand signal for finish
ROH - same as above
BRJ - wait, look at jump and say over, heel

Many people use a signal for the DOR but I prefer a verbal "Platz!"

Hope this helps!

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
I use "take it" for any retrieve. I can use "over" for a jump but remember in the ring you can't say "over, take it" that would be a double command. So in training I will say "over" as he's clearing the jump, "take it", then "over" and as he's clearing it back, "front".

As to the broad jump a simple "over" does it.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Too funny, doggiedad! I thought the same thing when I saw the high fluffiness quotient of the dog, but alas her name is Sierra. ;-)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts