German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
our family got a male puppy 2 months ago and he is now 5 months old. He is a very sweet, loving and intelligent boy and I have been doing basic obedience with him pretty successfully by myself.

One thing, however, I made a big mistake with was socializing him with our 2 male cats.

I took for granted that he is a very soft and sweet puppy and that my cats grew up with dogs AND due to exogenous circumstances (we moved to a new house in a different state at the same time we got him) let it slide.

at first I separated them in a family room with a baby gate which made him react To it with lunging and barking but in a non aggressive way (I read It more like a reaction of a dog reading the situation that “these guys are in prison, they must be bad”).
then there was some house work going on, etc and other training andbasically time passed.

now I have the ability to do some cc&d but ran into 2 major issues:
1. Two cats. Which means that they don’t necessarily sit together Or sit at all (hide). Now, obviously I can’t even with help of family which is limited force cats to be “visible “ when I am doing it. And is the trigger ( forget about them moving).

2. my dog is also apparently shadow hunting. Bas shadows, glares, etc. not super obsessed but gets a bit fixated.

to summarize, I know enough about cc&d to know that this is way beyond my casual experience and that I need to more than theory and some basics. I will approa a behaviorist but was wondering if some people had similar issues? Basically its not even possible to counter condition 2 things Simultaneously but leaving the shadows for now- if I just use 1 cat would it mean that he might react to second anyway?

hmm this is a long post so I’ll cut it here. Sorry :) and thanks.

·
Super Moderator
8,149 Posts
sorry, i swear i’ve had my coffee but am still having a hard time understanding your post.

can you describe in one sentence what it is that you need help with...... desensitizing your puppy to the cats?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry, i swear i’ve had my coffee but am still having a hard time understanding your post.

can you describe in one sentence what it is that you need help with...... desensitizing your puppy to the cats?
asking whether people have actual relevant experience in using the technique on 2 cats simultaneously and whether it is counterproductive to use 1 particular cat since the puppy is unlikely to generalize?

Also, if there is another trigger present- will it be a waste of time?

its usually not possible to desensitize to 2 triggers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts