German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
32,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cava is not even 5 months old yet so it will be awhile before she can do much in the way of training not to mention racing in tournaments, but I made her a flyball tug today in her signature color purple, to match her collar.

(Photobomb by Keefer :wub:)

It's a hit!

She's been here just two weeks as of today but it's going great. She's getting along well with Keefer & Halo, has gone on lots of adventures, and is learning tons of new stuff. Her first obedience class was Wednesday night, and she was the best in the class by far. We love the little munchkin!

·
Super Moderator
32,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She has amazing focus, her eye contact is terrific!

·
Super Moderator
32,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
She is so beautiful! Do you purposefully get long coats?
Yes, our first two shepherds, Sneaker and Cassidy were stock coats. But I'd seen a few longcoats around and thought they were beautiful. I hoped to have one some day, and after Cassidy died a breeder on a different GSD forum had a litter that was 4 or 5 weeks old and there was a female longcoat available. That was Dena. :wub: About a year later, we got her half brother Keefer, also a longcoat, and by then we were hooked. Dena died young of lymphoma and we got Halo.

The most important thing is temperament, so I have my eye on some breeders that are producing the kind of dog I'd want and also sometimes have coaties in their litters. It can take longer to find a puppy since I've narrowed the pool of potential litters by eliminating those that might otherwise be great for us because there aren't any longcoats. The timing wasn't ideal with Cava, we weren't going to bring home a puppy until after Halo is gone (she is in the late stages of DM), and I wasn't technically "looking" yet, but a friend co-owns the sire of this litter and she told me about it. I contacted the breeder, there were two LC females, and one or both might be available. I really liked the temperament of the dam and what she had said about the puppies so far. She understood our situation and offered to hold Cava for us until we were ready to bring her home. As it turns out, Halo is still here, but the breeder had trial season coming up and wasn't going to be able to travel with 5 dogs, so she sent her on her way.

Reactions: Pytheis

·
Super Moderator
32,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is that a fleece tug? How many strips and how long of what material did you use? If you don't mind sharing please and thank you.
Yes, I got the fabric at Joann's. Any fabric store should have fleece. It's a 4 strand braid - I cut the strips about 4" wide for this tug, Halo's is a bit thicker with 5" strips. I think the cloth is 58/60" wide and I used the full width. When I went to make a tug for Halo I looked online for directions and found this youtube video that is very simple:

For Halo's tug I went with longer strips, going lengthwise vs across the width, because I put several balls on it and the extra knots took up a lot of the length. I think I cut the strips 10 or 11 feet long:

I decided to start with simple for the puppy, Halo's tug is heavy, and the Orbee balls get slimy, lol.

·
Super Moderator
32,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sometimes things just end up working themselves out. :)

Besides - didn't I always say you could do three lol
:rofl: Fortunately, it's turning out to be much less challenging than we expected.

·
Super Moderator
32,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I should also mention that mspiker is a good friend that I met through the board over 10 years ago, and she introduced me to her friend Susan White who co-owns the sire. And that without those connections - people who know me putting in a good word on our behalf, a breeder in Colorado who knows nothing about us may not have considered us for one of the puppies, or at least gone to the lengths she did in order to work with us and our difficult situation here. :wub:

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I should also mention that mspiker is a good friend that I met through the board over 10 years ago, and she introduced me to her friend Susan White who co-owns the sire. And that without those connections - people who know me putting in a good word on our behalf, a breeder in Colorado who knows nothing about us may not have considered us for one of the puppies, or at least gone to the lengths she did in order to work with us and our difficult situation here. :wub:

Now if only I wanted a working line, I could be all set...

But I am so glad I could help in such a small way and even more glad everything has worked out.

·
Super Moderator
7,255 Posts
Sometimes things just end up working themselves out. :)

Besides - didn't I always say you could do three lol
lol, you’ve said this to me too. Actively ignoring you!!! Thankfully I’m stubborn and I don’t own my house or it’d be a lot harder!!

·
Super Moderator
32,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you! I will be trying my hand at making this tug with the added balls.
You might want to go with slightly thinner strips, maybe 3" (and be sure to add a lot of extra length or the tug will be much shorter than planned) if you're going to add balls.

Orbees have a larger hole in one side which was fine, but a smaller hole in the other. It would have been impossible to feed four 5" wide strips of fleece through the small hole, so my husband bought a special drill bit and enlarged it to the same size as the larger one. I bought Halo's first tug and it had tennis balls on it which did not last very well, so I wanted something more durable when I made that one for her.

Another ball that would work and already has a large enough hole through it is this one - just cut off the rope:

https://www.chewy.com/starmark-swing-n-fling-durafoam-fetch/dp/50530

They're a little less expensive than Orbees too, I paid around $10 each for the balls on Halo's tug.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts