German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
32,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just like Halo used to do, Cava has been bringing me her bone to hold while she chews it. :wub:

Halo's version - she liked me to take it away and give it back a few times before she would take it and chew on her own.

Reactions: JaxsMom and dogma13

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
This is interesting! All of my dogs have done this exact same thing. It's not something I ever taught them, so I'm thinking it must be some unconscious actions or treatment on my part that makes them act this way?

Did you do anything consciously to promote this sharing?

·
Super Moderator
32,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you do anything consciously to promote this sharing?
Not her bones specifically, but I do encourage puppies to bring me whatever they have - both their own stuff and things they're not supposed to have. And I do a lot of trading games with their balls/toys/bones/tugs. Less so with Cava since she was 4-1/2 months old when we got her and was already retrieving and tugging with the breeder than I did with Halo who was 10 weeks old, but still some. My guess is that encouraging engagement just tends to generalize to a variety of different things.

That's so sweet. What kind of bone is that Halo is chewing on?
Halo has a sterilized bone that you can buy from any pet store. We don't use those anymore, that was an old one that we'd had for a long time, going back to Cassidy I think. They can be hard on the teeth, and although we've never had a broken tooth issue I don't want to take the chance so we've since thrown it away.

Cava has a Benebone, which is similar to Nylabones but she likes them much better. You can buy them online from Amazon and Chewy. I'm using the medium size for her.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts