German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
32,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cava's flyball training is coming along very well. We've been doing wall work for a few months now, and yesterday we graduated to a "push board", which is half the height of the vertical wall, and much closer in size to the face of a flyball box. Our goal is a high, tight, turn with good rotation, and the dog driving down to the ground, first without the distraction of a ball, then with a ball duct taped to the wall. The more horizontal the dog is, the better. A four foot box turn is not just faster, in a sport where tenths of seconds count, it's also the safest for the dog. Yesterday at practice we made some adjustments that helped us get more consistency and allowed us to transition her to the push board. These are stills from video so the picture quality isn't as good as from a camera.

Now that we have good consistency of the criteria we're looking for, we put the push board in front of the wall.

Here is a 25% slow motion video of one of her reps on the push board, this is exactly what we want to see!

We had a nice hike on Friday, about 7-1/2 miles, and 4 miles the Friday before. Here are some photos from both days. Great weather, beautiful scenery, and a dog that loves to pose for photos. ?

·
Super Moderator
7,455 Posts
I always learn something new from your flyball posts.There's so much more to it than I ever imagined.The photos are beautiful.We still have quite a bit of snow here,but hopefully not too much longer.

·
Super Moderator
32,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I always learn something new from your flyball posts.There's so much more to it than I ever imagined.The photos are beautiful.We still have quite a bit of snow here,but hopefully not too much longer.
Thanks! There definitely is more to it than most people realize. It's a very simple sport compared to agility, with all those different obstacles. So much of flyball training is teaching a fast, safe box turn (and maintaining such, with our experienced racing dogs), and working on passes, which involves precise timing. We do a lot of video at practice since it's hard to see everything in real time. We all have the Coach My Video app on our phones now, which is so helpful.

When I was racing Halo I had a note saved in my phone with my pass into nearly every dog on the team. We aim to release our dog when the previous dog is coming over the first jump back from the box, so what changes is how far back from the start line we need to be to get a good pass into that particular dog. I was lining Halo up anywhere from 30 to 45 feet from the start line and there's no way I could remember that without looking it up!

·
Super Moderator
32,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i just uploaded another video of 2 clips in real time. It does happen fast and it's not always easy to tell if the positioning is what we want, which is why we like to shoot video, watch in slow motion and grab still shots.

·
Super Moderator
8,906 Posts
So great to be able to track her progress!! She looks fantastic.... beautiful and so athletic!

Good girl Cava ??

Reactions: Cassidy's Mom

·
Super Moderator
32,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So great to be able to track her progress!! She looks fantastic.... beautiful and so athletic!

Good girl Cava ??
Thanks, she really is an athlete. Halo was too, but Cava is like a gazelle, she's very light on her feet for a bigger dog, and quite bendy too. She was on the wall forever but it should pay off in the long run, I expect her to have a beautiful, tight box turn.

I think even when I'm on here a lot, I miss a lot of the best stuff. I love the slow motion.
Yeah the slo mo is fun, and really shows you everything the dog is doing - height, rotation, and front, rear, and head placement. From there, we can tweak the prop configuration and ball placement as necessary.

·
Registered
751 Posts
What a pretty girl! She's really fast!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts