German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
32,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A small group of people from a GSD meetup group rented a dock diving pool last weekend, and I signed Cava up since my friend Samuel was going with his dog Archer. She'd only been swimming once before, going into a lake off a beach, so this was a new experience for her. We each got two rounds in the pool, most of Cava's time was jumping in off the exit ramp. Towards the end of her second round we decided to see if she'd jump in off the dock. At first she ran around shrieking - she REALLY wanted to go in and get her ball, but this was much higher up than the ramp. She finally jumped in, so we had her try a couple more times. Much less hesitation each time, and she really seemed to enjoy it, so I signed her up for a private lesson on Friday at a different facility.

Samuel was there, and Laurie, a woman who hasn't been active on the board in a long time, that we ran into at a local off leash park back when Dena was a puppy, along with two other women I hadn't met before that they train with. Since it was a small group we each got three rounds in the pool. Samuel got some video of Cava's last round, so I made a movie! At first we weren't concerned with having her track the toy in the air and try to catch it, it was all about having her jump with confidence and enthusiasm. I put together a couple clips of her jumping off the dock, then one where they're just starting to show her how to grab the toy going in off the exit ramp, then a couple more clips off the dock.

The two instructors really liked Cava, they said she's a little spitfire, and kept saying how cute she is. :wub: I hope we get an opportunity to do this again soon, it was so much fun and Cava was really getting into it.

Reactions: Bramble

·
Registered
7,745 Posts
Looks like lots of fun would love to have this set up in my backyard lol! It would be sure to cool them off and get them tired daily kids would love this to!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
32,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You may need to think about 2 sports. She's a natural. Move over Dante.
It will be a long time till she catches up to Dante, but she definitely loves it. We did a little dock diving with Halo, maybe 4 or 5 times over the years. It was Tom's sport and he never did any training for it so it was just for fun. She was just as enthusiastic about jumping into a pool as she was about flyball, but she never jumped very far - her longest jump was 14-1/2 feet. She didn't care about that though, she was having a great time.

Right now, we're not doing much in flyball with Cava, I want to take her training slow while she's still young so her bones and joints have time to develop. But swimming is great low impact exercise and there's no reason she can't jump into a pool at her age. This facility in Lodi is SO nice, our flyball club has hosted two tournaments there and they host all kinds of other dog sport events too. I hadn't been there before since Halo was retired several months prior to the first tournament last October. Traffic sucked getting out there but it was totally worth it. It's the nicest dock I've ever seen, and the instructors are top notch.

So yeah, she may end up with two sports!

·
Super Moderator
32,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is her last jump off the dock in Hollister from last weekend, you can see the difference in confidence from then to now:

I'm body blocking her to keep her on the left side of the dock because on a previous run she jumped from the dock to the ramp and then in the pool, lol.

Reactions: kaydub_u

·
Super Moderator
6,714 Posts
Very impressive!You go Cava:)

Reactions: Cassidy's Mom

·
Registered
856 Posts
That's so great! I love it. Dock diving is so fun, regardless of how far they go. She's such a natural at it, too! I wish it was better developed in Canada.

Reactions: Cassidy's Mom

·
Super Moderator
32,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
319 Posts
Where can you buy the life jacket in that pink color? I want to get one like that for my pup. Having a hard time finding one like Cava's got.

·
Super Moderator
32,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I ordered it on Amazon in June 2017. They don't have it anymore, I just checked. It's made by Outward Hound.

·
Registered
105 Posts
That is so cool! Cava obviously loves it! Thanks for sharing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts