German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have cattle, including a bull. Herefords. They are big. They actually belong to my father in law, but its a family thing. I have goats, kiko, boer, and two huge Spanish males. My biggest goatie boy tips the scales at 205 lbs and probably stands about 7 feet on his hind legs (he is a little bigger than a great dane). Goats, especially Spanish goats, and most especially big male Spanish goats, are bullheaded (like a Hereford bull). We also have coyotes in the area, the kind that would try to chew on calves and kid goats until the big goat daddy takes care of business.

So, in an effort to keep coyotes out and livestock in, we also have a stout electric fence. The kind of fence that knocks you on your butt and sends you home crying for your mama (and a new pair of undies).

I've been introducing Genali to the livestock in a very controlled manner. If she would try to attack the goats, Socrates (the big male) would seriously hurt her. But, in introductions I have been very careful to not let Genali get "zapped" the electric fence (I call it the electrocution fence) until I felt she was old enough to not explode upon contact. Well, I introduced her to the dreaded fence tonight.

sigh. It was awful.

Socrates and Genali were having a "stare off". They both were inching closer and closer to the fence. I knew what was coming. I was so tense in anticipation of hearing my girl holler in pain when she hit that fence. It took every bit of mental strength that I had to not pull her away from that awful fence and protect her. Still, they inched closer and closer. Seconds before contact, tears ran down my face. :crying: It was agonizing. Then it happened.

I saw the "zap" and heard the pop. I saw my 200 pound buck as he ran screaming across the pasture. I jumped out of my own skin at the pulse came up through Genali's body, through the damp lead and into my arm. Honestly, I let out a lil bit of a holler. Ad Genali.....my poor baby.....was just standing there looking at that fence as if to say "well, that was rude". :confused::confused:

"Huh. How strange", I thought to myself. Perhaps, somehow, Genali's fur had insulated her from the shock while sending the charge into my body. But, I wanted her to learn about the fence while I was with her, so that I could reassure her after such an ordeal as is given by this fence, so I gave into her foolish juvenile curiosity and allowed her to touch the fence again, again waiting while I dreadfully anticipated the fearful yelp pain. She solidly touched the fence with her nose......

She gave a slight squeal and then sat down and stared at me..... Where I lay on the ground wondering what undies I was going to put on once my legs quit vibrating. The goats also came over and looked at me for a moment as if to say "what a moron!" before casually walking away.

Friends, I don't think that Genali is a good candidate for an underground fence. And I shall NEVER AGAIN attempt to train any animal with a damp leash. E.V.E.R.

Sigh. This dog.

·
Registered
16,007 Posts
And the dog and the goat wonder if the human learned anything....

I think that the wet leash was more contact for you than for the dog perhaps? (didja forget your nice dry leather gloves?)

Great story.

I remember years ago (I'm at the age where long term memory is better than short term!) when my very furry delightful mix stayed with a friend on her farm while I went somewhere for a week or so. This friend had dobbies. My very furry dog did not feel the electric fence at all and my friend was quite flummoxed by that -- her great doggie deterrent just didn't work.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It had to be her fur. No living critter can withstand "the fence" without a reaction. Anyway she learned something because she IS steering clear of the fence today. She did approach it. without me. I saw her going for it and well, she was on her own. yelps of pain be darned. I'll be right here when she needs me. Fortunately, she turned back once she got close to the fence. Might have been a trap. I think she wanted to see me glow again. The brat.

·
Registered
983 Posts
And the dog and the goat wonder if the human learned anything.....

Seriously....:rofl:

Had my own CTJ moment with a hot fence years ago. I was leading a barn tour for an elementary school field trip at the place where I kept my horse. When we got to the large paddock with the hot fence, I explained about the fencing which was designed to keep the (otherwise mannerly) stud in his field.

At this point, one smart alec kid (every group has one) asked, "So, how many horses have you KILLED with that fence?"

Caught totally by surprise, I said "Oh, uh, none. It's not strong enough to kill the horse, just enough to warn him away." And then stupidly, without even a hint rational thought, put my hand on the wire...

My first and only conscious thought was, "There are CHILDREN here, shut your mouth!"

Aly

·
Super Moderator
6,029 Posts
When I was about 15, I was rinsing my hands off in the horse trough, and bent over too far and accidentally touched my head to the electric fence. Next thing I knew, I was flying through the air and landed on my back. It was more embarrassing than anything!

Reactions: Aly

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think the worse (and funniest) case of learning the fence was the Doberman that hiked his leg and peed on the fence. I never did have to worry about him trying to mess with a fence after that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts