German Shepherds Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't sure whether to put this in general information, or health issues, or diet questions....but figured I'm just gonna vent so I'll put it here.

I HATE OUTDOOR CATS

I'm not super fond of cats in general--I've only known a handful that weren't little turds that bait you into petting them only so they can attack your hand with teeth and claws with no warning--but outdoor cats hold a special place in hades for me.

I have a back-fence neighbor with a cat she "rescued" as a kitten, and it has become a 100% outdoor cat during the day (which does beg the question, if you adopt a cat only to let it roam around outside all day and you never interact with it other than to feed it, why even get a cat?). This cat regularly crosses my yard to hunt the other neighbor's birdfeeder, then leaves the poor little carcasses half-eaten in my yard. Native birds, mind you. (OK, sometimes nonnative birds but the downy woodpecker last summer broke my heart.)

And then the cat has the nerve to turn my yard into his personal litterbox. He poops EVERYWHERE. In the summer I have garden beds and yep, poops in there too. In the winter he poops in whatever dirt he can find. AND YEAH, MY DOG EATS IT.

I'm just fed up. I have to patrol my own darn yard every day to try to find the cat poop before Willow eats it--and I'm sure we all know that eating poop of any kind can make our dogs extremely ill. The few times I've seen the cat at it and let Willow out to see if she'll chase him away (or better yet, kill him--yeah I know I'm horrible), she's not at all interested. I've texted the neighbor (who's a purported "wildlife lover" and also "dog communicator") telling her about the birds her cat kills, and her response was "Sorry, he's a hunter."

Outdoor cats (and not just feral cats--ALL outdoor cats) kill more birds in the U.S. than just out about any other cause. And people don't tolerate dogs running loose around towns, pooping and killing wildlife in other people's yards. I don't see why cats should be any different. Letting your cat outside is bad for your cat, too--outdoor cats tend to live shorter lives exposed to disease, predators, fights with other cats, getting hit by cars...I don't understand it.

Please, if your response to this is "but but but my cat wants to be outside, it's cruel to keep a cat inside, they're just doing what comes naturally to them, birds should adapt"....don't respond at all. I don't want to hear it and you won't convince me.

End rant.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I never understood that either, it reminds me of people who get a dog for status and then tie it outback it for life. Why have it? A person down the street from us sometimes lets their JRT dog out (they’re evil anyhow). And it’s come after me and Eva 3 times, went after our neighbors poodle, and we have caught it peeing in our backyard twice on our Ring camera. So my mom is gonna call animal control next time something happens. Eva has had to practically bite it before to get it away from us. (They won’t come out and get their dog when it runs out at us)

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just a general comment since my original post got "edited for language"...you do know that the system automatically bleeps out curse words, right? Shows ***s instead? And really, the ones I used were mild! But that's OK, I get it.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Well I love cats and own three. I can see you don't know much about cats to hate them so. That said, I would never let my cats roam the neighborhood. It's far too dangerous for them. My cats have a "catio" enclosed that they enjoy and are safe and bother no one. Many people are irresponsible and let both cats and dogs roam. The coyotes eat cats and small dogs where I live. They also crap in the yard along with the rabbits. That's life. :)

·
Super Moderator
6,010 Posts
Forum rules state no pseudo swearing allowed.There is a sticky at the beginning of 'Welcome to the GSD forum/frequently asked questions " if anyone needs a refresher.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I totally agree. I love cats, but I never let my two outside. I mean, other than the fact that they are a total pain outside, the relationship that you could make with a cat is ruined when you introduce them to the outdoors! The reason most normal people buy cats is to have a loving companion, not an independent, bird killing pain in the neck. Imagine buying a breed that is meant to be with humans, rag-dolls for example, and letting it run wild in the neighborhood. they are deifying the reason the cat's breed was even originated!

There are two cats in my neighborhood whose owner had bought a ridiculously skittish mom cat who had kittens, and let them go wherever they want. He just moved out and left them there, and now we have this stupid cat walking through our yard whenever she feels like it. One of these days Kias is going to be out there and chase them across the street, endangering himself in the act.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I love cats and own three. I can see you don't know much about cats to hate them so. That said, I would never let my cats roam the neighborhood. It's far too dangerous for them. My cats have a "catio" enclosed that they enjoy and are safe and bother no one. Many people are irresponsible and let both cats and dogs roam. The coyotes eat cats and small dogs where I live. They also crap in the yard along with the rabbits. That's life. :)
I'm glad you have a solution and don't let your cats roam outside. I have a friend who lets hers out in the yard on a leash, supervised, periodically, and another guy in my town takes his cat for walks. Cats can be perfectly happy indoors.

That said, no need to accuse me of not knowing much about cats. I know a lot about cats, have lived with several over the years, including ones that were great--but the jerks far outnumber them in my experience. Perhaps your personal experiences have been better than mine. Maybe you think it's cute when cats maim your hands. Whatever. I'm not judging.

Also coyotes and rabbits can't get into my yard. Cats can.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@crittersitter just now there are about 30 or so turkeys filing through the yard on their way to somewhere important(I guess:) )I think my three will be snacking on what they left behind.
Yeah bird poop probably isn't as bad. They're eating grains and insects and stuff. Cat poop scares me because who knows what the heck they're eating.... Small mammals, birds, reptiles, and whatever diseases those things had when they ate them. Unfortunately Willow loves cat poop. Leaves alone the deer, moose, elk, horse, goose, and other dog poop, but cat poop is like... Candy.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I'm glad you have a solution and don't let your cats roam outside. I have a friend who lets hers out in the yard on a leash, supervised, periodically, and another guy in my town takes his cat for walks. Cats can be perfectly happy indoors.

That said, no need to accuse me of not knowing much about cats. I know a lot about cats, have lived with several over the years, including ones that were great--but the jerks far outnumber them in my experience. Perhaps your personal experiences have been better than mine. Maybe you think it's cute when cats maim your hands. Whatever. I'm not judging.

Also coyotes and rabbits can't get into my yard. Cats can.
I've personally never had a cat that will attack my hands while I'm petting them other than the occasional kitten who wants to play, my cats are handled a lot though and generally pretty mild, if they get tired of attention they'll wander off not attack you. I've known other people's cats who do though and personally I'm not a fan of it. I usually snap and point and they get huffy and walk away or stop trying to be jerks.

As far as in the yard I'm not 100% how successful it actually is but pinecones and citrus (like lemons peels) in the areas they like to poop are supposed to help. Not sure if it's an old wives tail or something that can actually work. There's an article that says they don't like mint but I've only ever met cats who are obsessed with it much like catnip. It does mention cinnamon and I think cinnamon pinecones are sold during christmas so maybe that's where the pinecone part comes in?

eucalyptus, lavender, rosemary and rue are some others listed along with spicy scents

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've personally never had a cat that will attack my hands while I'm petting them other than the occasional kitten who wants to play, my cats are handled a lot though and generally pretty mild, if they get tired of attention they'll wander off not attack you. I've known other people's cats who do though and personally I'm not a fan of it. I usually snap and point and they get huffy and walk away or stop trying to be jerks.

As far as in the yard I'm not 100% how successful it actually is but pinecones and citrus (like lemons peels) in the areas they like to poop are supposed to help. Not sure if it's an old wives tail or something that can actually work. There's an article that says they don't like mint but I've only ever met cats who are obsessed with it much like catnip. It does mention cinnamon and I think cinnamon pinecones are sold during christmas so maybe that's where the pinecone part comes in?

eucalyptus, lavender, rosemary and rue are some others listed along with spicy scents
Yeah I'm gonna try some of this stuff in the spring when I plant my garden again. I had bought this sprinkle stuff that was supposed to deter both cats and dogs, but you're not supposed to use it in garden beds with edible plants. I've been sprinkling it wherever I'm finding cat poop and it just makes the cat poop somewhere else.

I have a big yard and the place the cat likes to poop changes all the time. Leaf litter? Check. Exposed dirt? Check. Against the house? Check. Compost pile? Check. It's just all over. I don't think there's anything I can do to prevent it in the whole yard. Honestly I'm thinking of just setting a live trap and trying to catch the darn thing, repeatedly if necessary, and let it go and hope it learns to stay out of my yard. (I'm obviously not going to hurt my neighbor's cat.) Others have recommended I trap it and take it to the Humane Association. Unfortunately my neighbor volunteers there. And I'd LIKE to stay on good terms with her, if possible. So....tricky situation.

Funny enough, I just ran into her and another neighbor on my walk with Willow; she was walking 2 of her JRTs (she has 4 small dogs total). The other neighbor asked if the cat was still roaming around and my neighbor said yes, and kinda shook her head exasperatedly and then laughed and pointed at me, like "She knows". I commented that I had to pick up his poop every day to keep Willow from eating it, and the lady said "Yeah, so do I". But I was thinking "IT'S YOUR YARD AND YOUR CAT, I shouldn't have to do it too!!!" But I didn't say anything. :-/

·
Registered
621 Posts
Yeah I'm gonna try some of this stuff in the spring when I plant my garden again. I had bought this sprinkle stuff that was supposed to deter both cats and dogs, but you're not supposed to use it in garden beds with edible plants. I've been sprinkling it wherever I'm finding cat poop and it just makes the cat poop somewhere else.

I have a big yard and the place the cat likes to poop changes all the time. Leaf litter? Check. Exposed dirt? Check. Against the house? Check. Compost pile? Check. It's just all over. I don't think there's anything I can do to prevent it in the whole yard. Honestly I'm thinking of just setting a live trap and trying to catch the darn thing, repeatedly if necessary, and let it go and hope it learns to stay out of my yard. (I'm obviously not going to hurt my neighbor's cat.) Others have recommended I trap it and take it to the Humane Association. Unfortunately my neighbor volunteers there. And I'd LIKE to stay on good terms with her, if possible. So....tricky situation.

Funny enough, I just ran into her and another neighbor on my walk with Willow; she was walking 2 of her JRTs (she has 4 small dogs total). The other neighbor asked if the cat was still roaming around and my neighbor said yes, and kinda shook her head exasperatedly and then laughed and pointed at me, like "She knows". I commented that I had to pick up his poop every day to keep Willow from eating it, and the lady said "Yeah, so do I". But I was thinking "IT'S YOUR YARD AND YOUR CAT, I shouldn't have to do it too!!!" But I didn't say anything. :-/
I think that the live trap idea will probably not work other than teaching it to avoid live traps. Cats will repeatedly go back to the areas they're trapped in. That is frustrating that it poops all over, the cat I know were pretty consistent poopers so it wasn't a big issue. Maybe if the owner put a litterbox outside it may use that preferentially? Not guarantees on that but a possibility.

What about sprinkling the stuff around the perimeter of your yard and spooking the cat whenever you see it? Just kind of make the yard as unappealing as possible. Then this probably isn't even a good idea to suggest as it would probably only cause issues but they make the big round foam ball pump action nerf guns that have decent enough power but shouldn't be able to hurt the cat in any way like an airsoft or bb gun would. Powerful squirt gun would probably be just as negative of an affect even though they don't hurt the animal. Although I'm wondering if they may be a good suggestion to people who will shoot cats with bbs and pellet guns regardless of what others say to them, at least then the cats wouldn't be getting hurt, it isn't their fault. (I don't like the idea of shooting the cats with anything brainstorming out loud as it can help create usable suggestions.)

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
As someone else said, you don't know much about cats. No animal thrives in an artificial environment 24/7.

Most people who let their cats out do it because many cats simply can't be kept inside. I have even had them walk underneath the dog when I was letting the dog out to escape.

I am surprised that someone in your position isn't better informed regarding species and habitat decimation. The number of species endangered by cats pales in comparison to the massive destruction by man. Last I heard, over a billion animals have been killed in Australia's wildfires. Australia dropped the ball by plotting against feral cats all of these years and look what happened...man's climate change has destroyed more habitat and killed more animals than any feral cat problem.

If you have that much cat poop in your yard, I have no doubt that it is not possible for only one cat to be creating a problem of that magnitude. I would look to other sources in addition.

If you think your dog eating cat poop is unsafe, I suggest you google fecal transplants or poop probiotics.

I don't think encouraging your dog to kill your neighbor's pet is a good idea. I would check the legalities of such actions in your state. If other neighbors in your community catch wind of this horror, you are setting your dog up for a similar fate. If your dog is a known pet killer, and if she ever gets loose, don't be surprised if one of the neighbor's responds in kind with your dog. If not anything else, siccing your dog on someone's pet hoping that it kills it is not being a good breed steward.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As someone else said, you don't know much about cats. No animal thrives in an artificial environment 24/7.

Most people who let their cats out do it because many cats simply can't be kept inside. I have even had them walk underneath the dog when I was letting the dog out to escape.

I am surprised that someone in your position isn't better informed regarding species and habitat decimation. The number of species endangered by cats pales in comparison to the massive destruction by man. Last I heard, over a billion animals have been killed in Australia's wildfires. Australia dropped the ball by plotting against feral cats all of these years and look what happened...man's climate change has destroyed more habitat and killed more animals than any feral cat problem.

If you have that much cat poop in your yard, I have no doubt that it is not possible for only one cat to be creating a problem of that magnitude. I would look to other sources in addition.

If you think your dog eating cat poop is unsafe, I suggest you google fecal transplants or poop probiotics.

I don't think encouraging your dog to kill your neighbor's pet is a good idea. I would check the legalities of such actions in your state. If other neighbors in your community catch wind of this horror, you are setting your dog up for a similar fate. If your dog is a known pet killer, and if she ever gets loose, don't be surprised if one of the neighbor's responds in kind with your dog. If not anything else, siccing your dog on someone's pet hoping that it kills it is not being a good breed steward.
Wow, really? This was why I said if you're going to defend cats in response to this, don't. You're 100% wrong. I have many friends who keep their cats inside 100% of the time and they are fine, happy cats. And please, feral cats vs. climate change? Both awful, both man-caused problems, both extremely harmful to wildlife but just because one might be worse doesn't mean the other one is OK. Cats have caused species extinctions. "The number of species endangered by cats pales in comparison to the massive destruction by man." Who brought cats to the U.S.? Man. So, you're right in this case. Cats are terrible scourges on native wildlife and it's our fault, not the cat's. Continuing to allow cats to roam outside when we KNOW the problems they cause--just because "it's cruel to keep them inside" is just spitting in the face of wildlife conservation.

Here is the professional society that represents "my profession"'s issue statement about cats. But what do we know, we're just wildlife biologists. https://wildlife.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/PS_FeralandFreeRangingCats.pdf

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
also "Australia dropped the ball by plotting against feral cats all of these years and look what happened...man's climate change has destroyed more habitat and killed more animals than any feral cat problem" is about the least logical statement I've ever heard anyone make in this case. Are you suggesting that Australia killing cats somehow contributed to the current wildfires???? Yeah ok. Again just because one problem might be worse than another, doesn't negate the fact that they're both problems.

I'm backing off of this now; should have known making this thread was a mistake and it would bring you people out of the woodwork. This issue infuriates me to no end and makes me lose faith in humanity. In fact I think I might have to mute you now; this isn't the first time I've gotten disgusted with your replies intended to inflame and berate. So, byebye.

P.S. Cats have caused 63 species extinctions to date. That we know of. Cats and Birds | American Bird Conservancy

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
I can go back and forth with you with study after study disproving anything you post up into and including the first study ever published where the author Edward Howe Forbush to using made up data and admitted to falsifying information as well as acknowledged awe at how far his fake numbers ran and that people still give credence to his fake study.

People can lie and state that cats are killing all of this wildlife but those of us who actually own cats know that are porches aren't overflowing with the dead bodies that cat haters would have you think.

Last time I checked, this was a German Shepherd forum, not a community to spread hatred. This is exactly why so many people complain about the chatroom threads being mainstreamed with the others.

·
Registered
285 Posts
There are a few roaming cats in my neighborhood. They tried to meander through my yard when we first moved in but they do not roam into my yard anymore. I’ve seen it happen once, the dogs coordinated an attack and that cat luckily made it out. Of course, I don’t condone cat killing by dogs or encourage my dogs to chase cats. I have two of my own cats inside (and yes, one of them is constantly plotting her great escape). But the cats that wonder around seem to be wise enough to stay out of my dogs’ territory. I’m surprised that the cat in your area hasn’t caught on that there’s a dangerous animal afoot in your yard.

We pretty much live outside when the weather is nice so maybe when the weather warms spend some extra time out in the yard with Willow and see if that changes things.
Or Willow might be a sweet angel and not help chase out invaders.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There are a few roaming cats in my neighborhood. They tried to meander through my yard when we first moved in but they do not roam into my yard anymore. I’ve seen it happen once, the dogs coordinated an attack and that cat luckily made it out. Of course, I don’t condone cat killing by dogs or encourage my dogs to chase cats. I have two of my own cats inside (and yes, one of them is constantly plotting her great escape). But the cats that wonder around seem to be wise enough to stay out of my dogs’ territory. I’m surprised that the cat in your area hasn’t caught on that there’s a dangerous animal afoot in your yard.

We pretty much live outside when the weather is nice so maybe when the weather warms spend some extra time out in the yard with Willow and see if that changes things.
Or Willow might be a sweet angel and not help chase out invaders.
And to be fair, I didn't ask her to chase the cat. I let her out to see what she would do. The cat was near the fence; it was an easy escape. And yeah Willow didn't care.

I obviously don't want Willow to kill the cat. I'd love if she could keep the cat out. Maybe when the weather gets better and I leave her out there a little more, she will. Right now she's only out there a few minutes a day.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.