German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I'm sorry but this video is bull. Everyone knows that cats are simply more independent and curious. That doesn't mean they do not care about their owners. The girl with the cat never stopped playing with the cat even when the owner walked back in (keeping it constantly entertained), where the girls with the baby and the dog sat down and stopped interacting after the owner walked out (giving the baby and the dog an opportunity to notice owner was gone). My cat used to come running to me when I got home and cry until I picked him up. And when I went away for hours or days at a time, he would tear my room apart from separation anxiety... I can go on...

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the baby and dog both used their mom/owner as a point of reference. they know where they are the entire time. when the dog owners leaves, the dog eventually notices and runs to the door. the cat doesnt use the owner as a point of reference so therefore doesnt realize the owner left and didnt even realize the owner came back. the cat wasnt playing with the toy when the owner came in. it just didnt care. i dont own a cat so i cant comment on how it is in real life. i do find the study a little bias but interesting non the less. whether its true or not can be debated.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
At feeding time she cares about eating and yowls until she's fed. The rest of the day I barely see her. She sleeps on her heated mat. She is 19 years old though.

She did notice when we were gone for 10 days though. She had plenty of dry food water, and two littler boxes set up. I think she was just pissed nobody was here to give her the canned food. ;)

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Cats don't need to be all over their owners to feel safe and content, just knowing they are there is enough. A couple of my cats will go up to everyone, a couple don't bother. A couple of them are really attached and seek out attention. I have one that is really attached to my son, he follows him everywhere, meows at the door for him and waits for him to come home. And my son doesn't feed of give him water.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
the baby and dog both used their mom/owner as a point of reference. they know where they are the entire time. when the dog owners leaves, the dog eventually notices and runs to the door. the cat doesnt use the owner as a point of reference so therefore doesnt realize the owner left and didnt even realize the owner came back. the cat wasnt playing with the toy when the owner came in. it just didnt care. i dont own a cat so i cant comment on how it is in real life. i do find the study a little bias but interesting non the less. whether its true or not can be debated.
Yes that cat did notice the owner left, it looked right at the owner as she walked out the door and walked around the other person. The cat was also out of sight when owner came back and did look at owner, but felt comfortable enough to continue playing.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
My cat was a rescue cat. She had been abused and we got her when she was still a kitten. For years she would not tolerate being held or pet. She would slash you with her claws. She ripped one of my husbands dress shirts once.

It's taken years for her to enjoy being pet and scratched. She is really sweet now. Maybe cats who have normal upbringings behave different.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
It depends on the cat. All three of mine have vastly different personalities and it shows after long trips. Pudge will give a hello leg rub, but that's after being home for several hours. Bailey could care less, but she's super skittish. Gigi has always been a cuddle bug and she'll come up and want you to pick her up and love on her, but once again, that's after several hours of being home.

Max, a cat we had that passed several years ago, would wait by the door for us to come home in the morning after work and would cuddle and snuggle for several hours after coming home just like the dogs. He would have to lay in bed with us for a while before going off and doing kitty things. If we went on a trip, he would yowl and howl until we picked him up and gave him some love. Afterwards, he'd be like our personal shadow for the next 24 to 48 hours.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
That experiment wasn't very good, they did not produce the same conditions for the dog versus the cat so you can't extrapolate from it. The 'stranger' played with the cat the whole time the owner was gone, while the dog was ignored by the stranger after the owner left. Also one cat and one dog is not conclusive of anything.
Since dogs are pack animals you would expect them to want to stick closer to their owners whereas cats have a much looser social structure so they may be more likely to range further and be less dependent on their owners. Cats also tend to be much more reserved so you can't necessarily expect a doglike reaction from a cat. Additionally many cats do not get out of the house with their owners very much, and placing them in a strange environment may have a different effect on them than it would on a dog as dogs are more likely to regularly be taken out to various places. This also means cats are also likely to react differently to their owners leaving them, since they generally are left at home whereas dogs may expect/want to go along.

Considering how differently my cats act with me and with other people, even people in my household and people who they know well and who also feed them (like my family, my petsitter and a friend who's known them since kittens and also sometimes petsits) I would say they are definitely attached and care if I'm there versus other people. They also greet me at the door when I come home. They don't greet my family members, even those who also feed them. Whenever I come back for a trip one of my cats is extra clingy for days after- he'll sit on my chest almost any time I'm sitting down, and put his front legs around my neck and cling on to me.

One of my cats is living with my brother now (because his cat and mine grew up together and Church was happier with Roxy than with my other cats) and he definitely knows me. Even though I only visit twice a year, he always greets me when I come from the airport and licks me, and he cuddles with me while I'm visiting which he doesn't do with my brother's friends who see him much more often than I do and feed/care for him regularly (when my brother is away for work which is fairly often). He will play with them and let them pet him but he acts differently with me. His friend even commented that he could tell Church was my cat because of how he behaved with me.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I have 4 cats, all female.

The oldest cat doesn't really like me, she could care less who takes care of her and she would live a much happier life if she was a only cat with a little old lady.

The 2nd oldest cat is obsessed with me, she just can't get enough of my attention and I don't think she'd be ok with anyone else but me.

The 3rd oldest cat only likes me, she hates everyone else and is antisocial.

The youngest cat isn't very bright. She loves me but she would be happy with anyone and everyone.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Well, most felines are not pack animals. Lions are but they are an oddball exception. My g/f's cat goes bonkers when she sees me. Her tail shoots straight up and she pesters me until I let her curl up on my chest and knead for awhile. I put out some serious BTUs and I must be a great warm spot to relax.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
This would be incorrect. My two cats care about my hubby and my kids they are constantly showing love for all of them. Don't get me wrong they come and go but not before they get to show the affection towards them. However my cats could care less about me which I don't get but whatever :eek:

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
My current cat is more standoffish than my last, however, she usually greets me at the door when I come in and follows me from room to room if I'm up walking with a purpose. If I close her out of the bedroom, she'll sometimes yowl at the door for <ages> and wave her paw under the bottom trying to attract attention.

My last cat (Siamese mix) was so glad to see us after my son and I came back from a 4 day trip that she slept that night with her arm wrapped around my son's waist.

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Sorry, I don't buy that at all. When you live with cats you will understand they are just different than dogs. They surely do miss their people.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Our new kitty, Gizmo is about 6 months old. Everytime I take the dogs out he cries and paws at the door. My guess in the morning he's saying "hey lady don't go you didn't feed me yet" but he does it other times too so I think he really just loves the dogs. He is really super affectionate but he's young yet so catatude will take over soon.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I agree with all of this. When the dog owner returned, she had a leash in hand and the stranger didn't make any attempt to distract the dog. The dog likely associated the leash with going outside or for a walk, and ran up to the owner excited.My dog gets excited when I pick his leash up too.

The cat owner didn't have any toys to distract the cat when she returned, and the stranger was distracting the cat the whole time with a toy.

I've never had a cat before, this was just what I observed from the video.

That experiment wasn't very good, they did not produce the same conditions for the dog versus the cat so you can't extrapolate from it. The 'stranger' played with the cat the whole time the owner was gone, while the dog was ignored by the stranger after the owner left. Also one cat and one dog is not conclusive of anything.
Since dogs are pack animals you would expect them to want to stick closer to their owners whereas cats have a much looser social structure so they may be more likely to range further and be less dependent on their owners. Cats also tend to be much more reserved so you can't necessarily expect a doglike reaction from a cat. Additionally many cats do not get out of the house with their owners very much, and placing them in a strange environment may have a different effect on them than it would on a dog as dogs are more likely to regularly be taken out to various places. This also means cats are also likely to react differently to their owners leaving them, since they generally are left at home whereas dogs may expect/want to go along.

Considering how differently my cats act with me and with other people, even people in my household and people who they know well and who also feed them (like my family, my petsitter and a friend who's known them since kittens and also sometimes petsits) I would say they are definitely attached and care if I'm there versus other people. They also greet me at the door when I come home. They don't greet my family members, even those who also feed them. Whenever I come back for a trip one of my cats is extra clingy for days after- he'll sit on my chest almost any time I'm sitting down, and put his front legs around my neck and cling on to me.

One of my cats is living with my brother now (because his cat and mine grew up together and Church was happier with Roxy than with my other cats) and he definitely knows me. Even though I only visit twice a year, he always greets me when I come from the airport and licks me, and he cuddles with me while I'm visiting which he doesn't do with my brother's friends who see him much more often than I do and feed/care for him regularly (when my brother is away for work which is fairly often). He will play with them and let them pet him but he acts differently with me. His friend even commented that he could tell Church was my cat because of how he behaved with me.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I have a very small sample size - just five cats in my lifetime - but they do seem genuinely attached to their people.

The prissy one who couldn't do without my husband is sleeping on his lap as I type this.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I pet sit professionally, cats miss their people. Cats know their people, and they can get moody/angry/depressed/vocal when someone other than their owner walks in the door during the owner's absence. Individual cats are just as different as individual dogs. Of the many I've sat I find some cats hide, some come check, some rub, others will curl up on me before I finish moving. No matter their reaction though, it indicates that they know when their person is gone and some are actively upset by it.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts