German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my Zelda about a month ago- she is about 6 months.
She is obsessed with the 5 cats we have!
One of the cats will stand her ground for the most part.. I try to tell her no when she barks and jumps up at them when they are on furniture and she will listen and then go right back. So i keep her on a leash because i dont want her to maul the cats.. She goes out the cat door to chase them if i dont have the leash on her. I am worried she will really hurt one of my cats.. The cats really get her prey drive going.. She has tried nipping them and i wouldnt put past her putting one in her mouth.

I hope to get a cat door for my window so they can come through the window and not have to worry about her chasing them out the door or standing in front of it so they cant get in.

Do you guys have any ideas on how to get my point across that she needs to leave the poor stressed out cats alone? I love my Zelda girl but i also love my cats and dont want them to be so stressed out and terrified of coming in the house because of her!

·
Registered
234 Posts
None of my dogs ever tried to bite or hurt our cats. I would be really worried if that were the case. Our cats have certainly been annoyed by puppies, but only in a "be my playmate" sort of fashion.

Jaeger is only a year old but he takes his big brother role very seriously and, once when Paynter (five months) scared our cat that has only one eye by jumping at the cat, Jaeger grabbed the pup by the nape and held him down. The message was clear: We do NOT make the kitties cry. Paynter now follows the cats at a walk sometimes but doesn't leap at them. SO I think it helps for a dog to have a cat-loving role model.

Do your cats have claws? It doesn't hurt for a dog to learn that cats can make you pay for bugging them?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, i am very worried with her behavior. Our beagle leaves the cats alone unless they bring in a wildlife animal. And the germanshepherd/golden retriever 1 year old my sister has (whom i live with) respects the cats and sometimes will be overbearing but wouldnt hurt a cat.
I am hoping Zelda will get swatted good one of these times by a cat! The one who stands her ground tries to, and im hoping the hunter boy who gets live weasels in the house will put her in her place.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I just got a one year old male GSD from the shelter about a month ago. He has never been around cats and I have 5. The first day he barked at them like he was going to kill them and it scared me. My main concern is that my female GSD chases them, but in play only and the male got excited by this and tried joining in. I have two cats that stand their ground and one of them will go to the dog to start trouble. I have been working on leave it since day one. He broke out of his crate the first Monday I had him and I immediately went looking for all the cats. I have to say that for the most part he walks past the cats now and if he gets curious a leave it works. His focus is nothing like it was that first week. He doesn't bark at them anymore either. But I still have to watch when my female barks at the one, that cat doesn't want anything to do with them, but he don't walk away either. It helps that the cats are getting used to him being around and they don't swat at him when he just walks by and that is what I was trying to accomplish. They now drink water together and the cats can walk to the other room without issue. It takes constant management and it tired me out. I'm just now starting to relax a little bit, but its not 100% yet. That saying cats rule really can be the truth, they do set the tone.

***He got madder when they hissed and swatted, he did not back down or learn his lesson, he just got madder***

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Leave it was taught with VERY high value treats...raw venison and turkey.

·
Registered
61 Posts
We have the same problem. We have 2 cats and our dog always chases them and attempts to "play" with them. The house is separated into 2 parts - one for the cats and one for the dog. Unfortunately, to get to the back door, I have to walk him through the cat area of the house on a leash. We are working on "leave it" but he just wants to play rough with them. He has been hit and swatted by both cats but it doesn't seem to do much for him. He'll back off but then go right after them again. I don't know how to make them live in peace. They can see each other through the gate, the cats can come in the dog section of the house at night since he sleeps in a crate and they see each other through the bars. The cats aren't terrified of him, but he definitely annoys them.

I'm hoping time and training will bring them closer. I think he just sees them as playmates. The problem is that cats and dogs have different body language, so they don't know what to do with each other. We also have the same problem with the cats and toddler LOL

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Llombardo I like your idea with the high value treats for leave it.. I could have her favorite toy, be calling her, or trying to live natural balance roll (That i make into treats because she is so picky!) and she couldnt care less.. She just keeps going at the cats. So I will have to buy her some real meat!

KYH sounds like you have a good set-up, i do hope to give my cats more freedom from Zelda other than at night time. Setting up the cat door in the window alone will help a lot i am sure! Its hard to read Zelda's behaviro, but i do beleive she is just trying to play also like yours.. but way to rough as if the cats are my sisters 70 pound dog.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts