German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
Yeah, my puppy is learning too. Luckily, my cats are dog savvy and don't run. They stand their ground. It is fun to watch him get into full play bow, trying to play. The looks on the cars faces us classic!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
874 Posts
I had one of my 3 running the house cats take right to Roxy the first night we brought her home. THEN she heard Roxy give the GSD bark ..and that was the end of that relationship
:( very sad. The cats don't want to play with her nor does my son's schipperke ( they live in our lower level) . I am hoping she makes some 4 legged friends when we start classes in a week.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
lol Shasta learned pretty quick as a pup to not mess with the cats. Our 7lb tiny boss kitty smacked her HARD. She didn't use claws but she made sure she hit that puppy nose hard enough it knocked Shasta backwards pretty good. Shasta was a good 16lbs when this happened. She still tries to play with the cats but they're dog savvy (always have been) and Shasta knows when to back off. She just wants to be friends. The cats will lay with her and rub on her but that's about it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Isn't it amazing how the cats seem to know this is a baby it doesn't need to be hurt just corrected? My friend brought over her 3 year old mastiff and when he got in spooks face he got the claws, but not the puppy. I'm just impressed with that

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Isn't it amazing how the cats seem to know this is a baby it doesn't need to be hurt just corrected? My friend brought over her 3 year old mastiff and when he got in spooks face he got the claws, but not the puppy. I'm just impressed with that

that's just like how adult dogs seems to know almost exactly how old a puppy is and when that puppy pass expires and they start getting serious reprimands for biting too hard. Animals. Always amazing us it seems.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
My new dog has never been around cats. He is very curious and very defensive if they hiss or swat at him. They walk around like they run the house and are not by any means afraid of him, but that is where the problem is. He is fine until they do something to him. All of my other dogs take it, so the cat thinks this one will to. The dog has been scratched, but it hasn't made him any less curious. He is barking at them less..and when I say barking, its this deep sounding bark that makes the dog sound like is 200 pounds. Its a work in progress.

·
Registered
624 Posts
You can't force animal relationships. Eventually they may be best buds or they keep their distance. Whatever makes them happy!

·
Registered
482 Posts
I have 2 cats and my new GSD rescue. My younger of the two cats, walks up to his crate purrs, chatters, rolls over and puts his paws into the crate. Diesel freezes in what appears to be a mix of pounce mode / confusion. He will not move a muscle, not even sure he breathes. The moment the cat turns its back Diesel FLIPS out. The cat wants to be friends, the dog wants a snack....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts