German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be moving to a my first house and we have a 4 mon old GS and 2 cats. As of now the cats are seperated between floors and there is very little interaction. The new house is a rancher and it will be hard to seperate them and I would like to live without seperation of the two species. The youngest of the two cats grew up in a previous house with dogs and less agressive with the dog after she set her boundaries to him. My other cat I'm afraid we end up in constant hiding. What is the best way to make this transition as painless as possible for everyone?

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Give the cats a "safe place' by using a baby gate......let them decide if they want to interact, besides moves are always stressful for everyone. The cats need a quiet place that they know their food, water and personal space is off limits.

I just moved from a one level to a two story and the cats NEVER come downstairs unless they hear the crate door close. I am trying to train my pup to not go upstairs AT ALL. Jake sleeps downstairs in his crate. Before I was in a two story I used a baby gate and designated my office as the cat room, where they could be themselves, eat, drink and sleep.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
We have the same situation as Renee' in that the upstairs is baby-gated off (got one with a kitty door) and is the cat's territory. Keeping the dogs from chasing the cats when they venture downstairs is a work in progress, but we are getting there. We are a very long way off from our goal of just ignoring the kitty, but at least 80% of the time there is no chasing.

We have a few dog beds downstairs and we tell the dogs to be on their pillows (they tend to hang out on them anyway) when the cats wander down. At first we gave lots and lots of treats for staying on the pillows, and we are slowly increasing the time between treats and letting the cats get closer before treating the dogs. It has also helped that the dogs are getting out of puppyhood and seem to be better able to control their urge to chase. Maybe in another six months we will be able to relax when the kitties come down.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts