German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if there was/can be a sub-category within the rescue section for fosters and fostering?

Any opinions on how this would work/not work?

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just some random thoughts:

Fostering is kind of special
and has its own issues that can get buried in the other threads in the general section. Having a special section where veteran foster parents can share their experiences and answer specific questions about fostering would be helpful. I know some of the issues are applicable to *all* dogs, but some I think are unique to foster situations.

If there was a separate section, perhaps more traffic would read all the good things about fostering (yeah, some difficult ones too) and would not get too intimidated about fostering and more would step up to foster?

Folks wanting to foster could sign up to say - available (with all attendant approvals on record) and then rescues could contact them, instead of urgent posts begging for fosters?

·
Registered
904 Posts
i agree...maybe a section for foster dogs....so that everyone knows they are available

·
Registered
763 Posts
I think this is a good idea. The general info rescue section works great for posting info- who’s who, who need a home check, news stories about rescue, pomes and the like, but it’s not really geared for foster families and the challenges they face every day. Those threads get spread all over the board- some in the training sections, stories, puppy sections, and so on. It would be nice to have a place to bring it all into focus and encourage foster families in one place where most of the people involved in rescue would take the time to read it.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I also think this is an excellent idea. One of the biggest problems with rescuing dogs is finding the foster homes for them. Just read the urgent and non urgent sections. We have financial help, pull help, a rescue that will claim the dog, but no foster home for him to go to.
If we can encourage fostering with our stories and maybe list available fosters, more dogs could be saved.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Good question. But I do wonder how much activity it would get? Maybe in addition to the rescue & adoption information you could change it to foster, rescue and adoption information. I know there is a huge need for foster homes but I can understand possible reluctance to add an additional forum if it is not needed. But in the least, "foster info" could be added to rescue and adoption info. Anything to help the cause.
JHMO.

G

·
0 Posts
Originally Posted By: VinnieGive me some more information. Right now I believe fostering questions go to the 'Rescue & Adoption Information (General)' but why do you think it needs a section of it's own?
Yep, I think it deserves a section of it's own. Several times here for example I have been asked about the organizations that aid in finding foster homes for pets of servicemembers who have been mobilized and have no place for their pet to go otherwise while they serve abroad for a year or more.

That's just my example, but I imagine such a section would be of great value to many people for many more reasons besides.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I think there should be a foster section too!

I want to foster, there are questions that I have that get lost underneath all the rescue transport & urgent help questions.

There should be a place for questions like what do I need to do to prepare to foster? And an area for current fosters to tell their experiences with different shelters/rescues they fostered for & experiences with foster dogs, etc..

·
The Italian One
8,729 Posts
Just been thinking about this and I could MAYBE see an area for posting things specific to fostering a GSD.
For example;
"XYZ Rescue group is looking for foster homes",
“How do I become a foster home”,
“I have available room in my home to foster X(number) of dogs”,
“How do I deal with letting my foster dog go to his/her forever home”
and other such questions that are just specific to fostering.

I don’t see an additional need for a new area to discuss training, socializing, behavior, health, feeding, dogs available for adoption or caring for a foster dog. These things are already covered under their special areas where I feel you will get the best responses. These issues are universal to all GSDs.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally Posted By: VinnieJust been thinking about this and I could MAYBE see an area for posting things specific to fostering a GSD.
For example;

<span style="color: #000099">Yup. I think that works.
And no, I don't think we need to discuss the training etc. issues in this area/category.

Caring for a foster dog - i think issues like introducing fosters to resident dogs (esp. adult dogs) and helping your resident dog/s cope with "visiting dogs" are perhaps unique to foster situations and could be included here.</span>

I don’t see an additional need for a new area to discuss training, socializing, behavior, health, feeding, dogs available for adoption or caring for a foster dog. These things are already covered under their special areas where I feel you will get the best responses. These issues are universal to all GSDs.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
25 Posts
originally posted by moei:
Quote: Yup. I think that works. And no, I don't think we need to discuss the training etc. issues in this area/category.

Caring for a foster dog - i think issues like introducing fosters to resident dogs (esp. adult dogs) and helping your resident dog/s cope with "visiting dogs" are perhaps unique to foster situations and could be included here.
It seems this would be beneficial not only to those currently fostering but also to those considering fostering (or even adopting). As a member of the latter group, I admit that there is a certain element of uncertainty/anxiety when I consider the disruptions in pack dynamics that might be engendered by bringing a foster into the milieu. Perhaps such a forum would provide valuable information, encouragement, and support for fosters and inspire cautious, curious wannabes like me.

·
The Italian One
8,729 Posts
Honestly, I see the caring for a foster dog to be a universal thing and already covered elsewhere on the board. Issues like introducing a new dog into a family happens in many situations. Same with a dog visiting. I can’t tell you how many times we’ve watched other people’s dogs when they go on vacation. These situations are not exclusive to foster dogs so I can’t see giving them a space of their own for these reasons.

·
Registered
763 Posts
When I first heard this suggestion I was thinking along the lines of 'Ask your fostering questions here' kind of a thing as well. I think it would make a great subsection in the rescue section but doesn't need it's own long list of subsections like puppies or breeding or other topics have.... Does that make sense? It’s a broad topic for sure but I don’t think a forum for it will need to be so narrowly defined. The important thing is that it draws the attention of seasoned rescuers on the board and helps to ‘demystify’ the topic and the process. I think it would help generate a lot of interest in fostering and that would lead to move dogs being saved. Having the support of the old-timers could also make a lot of new foster’s experiences go smoother.

Just my thoughts…

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I think having a foster dog is much different than taking care of your friend's dog when they're on vacation. And I think having a section for fosters is great. All of the above suggestions could be included and there could be some good stickies too for new fosters homes.

·
The Italian One
8,729 Posts
Originally Posted By: BowWowMeowI think having a foster dog is much different than taking care of your friend's dog when they're on vacation.
That's not what I said is it? (Kind of twisted my words there didn't we?) I believe we were talking about introducing a strange dog to an existing family dog - which is many times the case when you watch a friend's dog when they leave to go on vacation (is just one example – I can give more).

As I said before, I agree with having a fostering section for topics exclusive to fostering but I don't see any reason the "caring for" questions should be included in that section (just like training, behavior, socialization, health, nutrition topics etc.). I haven't seen anyone provide evidence or examples proving to the contrary.

I’m continuing this conversation because I don’t think we can really give you a “yes” or “no” answer until we fully understand what you’re asking for. This needs clarification before we can act on anything.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Originally Posted By: VinnieJust been thinking about this and I could MAYBE see an area for posting things specific to fostering a GSD.
For example;
so set that part up for now & more topics might come up as we go along

·
Banned
2,415 Posts
Being a new foster I would appreciate a seperate category. I am about to post a few questions about fostering a dog. However, this board is so expansive already.

Bottom line, give it a shot and see what happens.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts