German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lionheart (cat) is a super aggressive butt head. Like he is awful, he has gotten us kicked out of 2 vets, and 3 groomers. Awful mean grumpy jerk of a cat. Layla loves playing with LH but Layla broke LH's tail last night.

How do I train Layla to leave LH a lone when he instigates their rough playing? I've ignored it for the most part since they haven't injured each other until now.

Lay will ignore LH until he comes up and starts it, do I need to try to train the cat? Can you train a cat?

·
Super Moderator
6,366 Posts
Water pistol for LH?PM Chip18 who has lots of experience with cats.

·
Banned
7,657 Posts
Uh oh ... but the answer is yes to a degree. You would deliver an "aversive" to the cat, same as you would a dog! The goal in Cat/Dog relationships is "peaceful" co existence. They are "pack members" not play mates. There is only one rule in Cat/Dog relationships ... the Dog never chases the Cat.

I don't know if that is your situation?? But if the Cat got hurt playing, then your dog does "not know how to "dial it down."

A couple of threads ... the dog is the problem not the cat ... (although it sounds like he is a problem) but first things first, the dog needs to be chill in the house "No Free Roaming" and train "The Place Command" if the cast wants to still approach the dog ... fine but the dog can't move from "Place" ie no chasing a couple of links.:

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/6715746-post2.html

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/aggression-good-bad-ugly/599905-aggressive-towards-cat-possessive.html#post7410522

As always ... ask questions. :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
My Butter kitty will walk past Cherokee over and over and if that doesn't get her attention she will do the run very loudly very fast past her until Cherokee chases her. I am always amazed at how very heavy and big she can sound when she wants to "play" with Cher. She will do this over and over until my other half yells at Cherokee to leave the cat alone. Very unfair since the cat is instigating the chaos. I have decided that Butter knows Cher will get in trouble and that is half of the fun for her.

We recently adopted a 9 year old kitty and Cher doesn't chase him at all because he doesn't instigate.

If you figure out how to train a butthead cat let me know. Maybe you will get lucky and the broken tail will teach the cat not to instigate.

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
Poor kitty! What did the vet recommend?

Never let your dog play rough with any animal. It can lead to so much more than broken bones, which in itself is way too serious. Dogs can also "separate" the bones in a cat's tail by grabbing at a running cat and the tail will most likely rot off, also not to be taken lightly. It is dangerous, serious, and can be deadly.

The cat's actions seem to play a very minor role in your dog not being able to play nice. I would put an immediate stop to your dog's bad behavior. I would stop all play and interaction from the dog with the cat on a permanent basis, one broken tail is one incidence too many. Because of the size disparity and the dog's ability to easily kill a cat, I would recommend to teach your dog to never touch a cat regardless of what that cat is doing. Also, since this is your dog's "play", I would not be surprised if her bad behavior might carry over into too rough of play with smaller dogs as well. I would stop the behavior sooner than later.

I am not sure what commands you have used and for what, but such commands as No, Leave It, Off, etc., would be the way to go. You might want to start the training on leash so you can enforce and correct if need be. Allow the cat to distract all it wants, teach your dog to ignore distractions. Chip said never let your dog chase a cat, I say take it a step further and do NOT let this dog play with the cat. This would be the safest route to pursue as your dog has already demonstrated a willingness to injure the cat, next time, you may not be so lucky.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts