German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to get some opinions about a stray cat that pretty much adopted us. My GSD is almost 4, and really doesn't love cats. We had a stray hanging around, and to make a long story short I ended up taking her to the vet and she now lives with us. She is declawed and about 5 years old. She dislikes the GSD, so I put a gate up and she stays in the gated bedroom. It is a small gate, but the GSD cannot get over it.

My questions is this - am I being unfair to her by keeping her since she spends the day gated in the bedroom? I put him in his crate around 10pm, and from then until about 6:45am the gate comes down and she gets the house. At night she usually roams for part of the night, and also comes in and out of the bedroom to sleep on the bed with us.

She is a very nice girl, and I really want to keep her. I just worry maybe she would be happier somewhere without dogs.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
There are people who crate and rotate dogs. I live in an apartment with 3 dogs and a cat. As long as her needs are met and she isn't depressed and miserable, don't dwell on the would be's. I am sure my pets would love to be on acreage or live in a mansion but that isn't real life for me so I provide for them what I am able to and it works.

·
Premium Member
11,131 Posts
she is much better off with you than as a stray and if she went to a shelter there is a huge probability she would be PTS....if she is happy, then don't worry about it....I have one cat who lives pretty much in one room with access to stairs and upstairs hall/bath....a younger cat co-exists with her fine - as long as she does not come into the other rooms....the dogs are no issue - just the younger cat

Lee

·
Registered
7,248 Posts
Just keep them seperated. A warm home, good food and some tlc I'm sure your cat is very happy. The cat may relax over time. In order for them to get along the cat has to be relaxed around the dog and the dog has to leave the cat alone. At the time we had three cats which max got along very well with two of them and that did take much work with him being a rambunctious pup with two cats nearing their 20's. One cat we have to separate and she wanders around the house at night. She is a little kookie and bit of a wild cat. She has been very slowly getting used to max around.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Cats don't have to have a huge territory ... they sleep about 22 hours a day! At least she has time to roam around at night. I'll bet she would rather do that than dodge cars and predators outside.

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
I understand your thinking. Her life is pretty much restricted to when you guys are sleeping. If if were me, and I could find a very good home (maybe with friends so I could still see her) I would go ahead and give her a chance to a better life. But if no good home - I'd keep her. The streets are certain death.

·
Banned
7,657 Posts
Cats are kinda sorta odd creatures ... they don't really "need" a lot of space! Nonetheless, I would not be "comfortable" leaving cats with a "potential" cat killer??

You made changes in your life to accommodate this new creature ... it's not unreasonable for your dog to do likewise. :)

Cat v Dog links are here:

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/7558425-post4.html

I've written a lot of them, I believe, this one contains what I have concluded is the best solution?? Train the "Place Command" no free roaming in the house for the dog, Crate or Place, for the dog in the house, when the Cat understands the dog is under control ... you will see more of him. :)

As always ... ask questions. :)

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have hope that things will work out. The cat seems like she is getting brave and leaving the bedroom. Last night she hopped her gate and sat at the top of the stairs. My GSD went halfway up the stairs, and the cat growled but held her ground. He stopped and stood looking at her, and wagging his tail. He never attempted to go up to her. Then my husband called him down, and he came and seemed fine. He wanted to go look at her a few more times, but no aggression.

My next step will be to have him on his leash and encourage her to come downstairs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have hope that things will work out. The cat seems like she is getting brave and leaving the bedroom. Last night she hopped her gate and sat at the top of the stairs. My GSD went halfway up the stairs, and the cat growled but held her ground. He stopped and stood looking at her, and wagging his tail. He never attempted to go up to her. Then my husband called him down, and he came and seemed fine. He wanted to go look at her a few more times, but no aggression.

My next step will be to have him on his leash and encourage her to come downstairs.
My friends have three well behaved but inquisitive dogs and three cats of varying temperament. I think the key to happiness in the house is having areas where the cats can go but the dogs cant. They manage this by having a cat room with a hook-eye bolt that opens enough to allow the cats entry but keeps the dog's larger heads out.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I still keep baby gates up to divide the house and probably always will utilize them. My dog loves my cat dearly, but I still think dividers are good things to have. That way if the cat gets the crazies and tears off, the GSD can't follow. Sometimes, I'll leave it down so Varik can wander back and forth through the house, but if the cat gets a wild hair, or antagonizes the dog too much (charging him and then running, wanting to play chase), then the gate goes back up.

·
Banned
7,657 Posts
I still keep baby gates up to divide the house and probably always will utilize them. My dog loves my cat dearly, but I still think dividers are good things to have. That way if the cat gets the crazies and tears off, the GSD can't follow. Sometimes, I'll leave it down so Varik can wander back and forth through the house, but if the cat gets a wild hair, or antagonizes the dog too much (charging him and then running, wanting to play chase), then the gate goes back up.
A truly Cat proofed, Cat safe dog will not chase cats period.

Cats are pack members and not prey, my guys chased Rabbits in the desert at every opportunity, small fast moving furry creatures. But the Cats ... NO not every. Dogs do know the difference between pack members that act crazy and prey.

I don't use baby gates or escape routes, my cats have nothing to escape from. I also don't have cute clips of cats and dogs running around chasing each other.

Now clips of Cats body blocking dogs walking on them and cats hogging dog beds and cats and dogs sleeping together ... that I have. :)

·
Banned
7,657 Posts

Well it sounds like you really don't have a Cat v Dog problem??

Again I would say "Place" with a Drag leash is a much better option than trying to "force" a relationship. A Cat will be much more willing to approach a dog who is calmly laying down than it is one at "excited" at the end of a leash. And no treats or bones for the dog in "Place" don't want resource guarding.
But for me I work on controlling the dog. I don't care what the cat does. When the cat understands the dog is under control ... then they will show up or maybe not ... they are Cats ... they what they want. :)

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
I went out of my way to create cat safe places all through our house. I lock the dog up in the back room of our house when we leave so the toy poodle and cat don't have to put up with him. Yet most days when I get home the cat is in the back room with the dog.

·
Banned
7,657 Posts
I went out of my way to create cat safe places all through our house. I lock the dog up in the back room of our house when we leave so the toy poodle and cat don't have to put up with him. Yet most days when I get home the cat is in the back room with the dog.
LOL ... I got nothing. :)

·
Registered
245 Posts
Baby gates? I have a few in my house just for the sake of keeping my dog sharp with jumping things. I wouldn't rely on a baby gate to keep a gsd away from a cat. If the dog really wanted the cat...the baby gate isn't an obstacle.

To give your cat more freedom, set up the 'kitty railroads!' Make things that run along your walls and up high. It can be done pretty simply. A base could be used from what is used for wire shelving. Then, instead of actually installing the shelving part, you can just lay wood from one 'anchor' to the next. Want to make it even better? Of course you do, you're a cat's slave! Nothing can be too much for your feline god. Get some carpet and secure it around the wood.

·
Banned
7,657 Posts
Baby gates? I have a few in my house just for the sake of keeping my dog sharp with jumping things. I wouldn't rely on a baby gate to keep a gsd away from a cat. If the dog really wanted the cat...the baby gate isn't an obstacle.

To give your cat more freedom, set up the 'kitty railroads!' Make things that run along your walls and up high. It can be done pretty simply. A base could be used from what is used for wire shelving. Then, instead of actually installing the shelving part, you can just lay wood from one 'anchor' to the next. Want to make it even better? Of course you do, you're a cat's slave! Nothing can be too much for your feline god. Get some carpet and secure it around the wood.
Joe Galaxy approach:
Cat-to-Dog Introductions | Little Big Cat

Nothing wrong with that, for me however ... the best approach for the unexpected ... is a well trained Cat proof Dog. :)

·
Registered
245 Posts
Thankfully my boy is wonderful with our cats. If he's sleeping, they may steal his body heat. Getting him to not chase them wasn't too challenging since we had them first and he was still young. Our male cat used to play with him a little before.

You should see him with kittens. You'd think he is trying to be their dad. He'll lay down for them to climb all over him, and he'll clean their fur. When he stands up he's tip toe-ing all around.

But even if you train a dog to be good with cats, not all cats will accept the dog--ever. My sister's cats saw him before and did NOT approve of his existence. lol

·
Registered
63 Posts
The cat is declawed so should not live outside, it cannot defend itself properly. I think it is much better off with you as you are providing it with food, shelter, and a much safer environment. Keep on gradually allowing the 2 to get use to each other. We have 2 huskies, 1 German shepherd, and a cat. This cat will hold her ground and even taunt the dogs. She was adopted and she too is declawed. The female husky actually likes the cat & will go up to her and lick her. The male husky ignores the cat. The cat will jump over him when he's half asleep & he won't even raise his head. The shepherd, he will be 2 in July, we haven't had him very long & we don't think he's ever seen a cat before in his life. He's not aggressive to her, but very interested. He follows her around, but he knows not to go after her. He is not allowed upstairs and he is crated when we are not home. Very gradually he seems more relaxed & she will now walk by him when he's laying down. It's a process but the cat is much better off with you than out on the street. That's my opinion anyway.

·
Banned
7,657 Posts
Thankfully my boy is wonderful with our cats. If he's sleeping, they may steal his body heat. Getting him to not chase them wasn't too challenging since we had them first and he was still young. Our male cat used to play with him a little before.

You should see him with kittens. You'd think he is trying to be their dad. He'll lay down for them to climb all over him, and he'll clean their fur. When he stands up he's tip toe-ing all around.

But even if you train a dog to be good with cats, not all cats will accept the dog--ever. My sister's cats saw him before and did NOT approve of his existence. lol
Oh by and large as long as the cat is not actively going after a dog ... I'd call it good.

It sounds like you have a very good Cat Dog. Don't underestimate your achievement. There have been a couple of threads where folks have cats first, get a rescue dog and freak when the dog does not instantly luv the cat.

Most recent fail, posted a clip in one case dog in the crate looked calm, cat was out the dog looked at the cat. Boom that's it ... back to rescue you go!

At anyrate round about way of saying ... job well done there! :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts