German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

As many of you have seen I lost my GSD this week. There is already a sad thread for that and isn't the point of this one, but is the ultimate reason for this one.

My five year old cat, who grew up with Mali is not doing well (or doesn't seem like he is). Since the first night without her he walks back and forth through the hallway literally howling. Long drawn out howls, for hours.

We have another cat, so he is not alone (as far as pets go) but I do not know what to do to comfort him. I invite him into my room and he comes and lays down for a while but eventually resumes the crying in the hallway (she would routinely lay in the hallway).

Is it normal for a cat so attached to a dog to grieve like this? I have never been through this before. It is making the entire situation even more heartbreaking. If anyone has been through this with cats I welcome any tips.

:(

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
When my older cat passed, my younger one did the same behaviours... it took him several months to stop. At first I ignored it, as I didn't want to cause more of an issue. Then, after I realized it wasn't stopping, I would just go grab him, comfort him and cuddle him and play with him. It seemed to help and after a few months it eventually stopped.

I have another cat for him as well, but she is older and 2 dogs, whom he is probably closer too than the cat. I tried to include him in almost everything we did in the house, took him outside on a lead more, really made a bigger effort to do 'new' things with him to keep him occupied as well.

I am so sorry for your loss and that your kitty is grieving.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I don't know if its normal, but I have 1 like this to. There wasn't a death , but my son went off to college and the cat did the same thing. He sits by my sons bedroom door meowing loudly and for long periods at a time. Then he finally starts to stop and my son visits and leaves and it starts over again .

·
Registered
307 Posts
I've had several animals, including a horse, visibly grieve the lost of another pet. Our old cat didn't seem to grieve the loss of our very old Golden shed lived with for more than 14 years, yet she grieved for months over the sudden loss of our ACD, who was a confirmed cat-killer but tolerated her but didnt seem to love. Go figure. The night the ACD got sick, the cat actually licked her nose before we carried her to the vet for euthanization. Strange bond, but I often wonder if she sensed the sudden, untimely loss more than the old dog that was declining for months and was almost 15. She howled and mourned for several months but 2 years later, at age 16, she is fine and happy.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
263 Posts
It is not unusual for an animal to get depressed when another one dies. Even though they are different species, they are part of the same pack, so to speak. When my mom's old cat died when I was a teenager, our family dog was depressed. They used to sleep together and play together and when Turbo passed, Lucky was lethargic for a week and was eating less. He'd go to their sleeping spot and just look around waiting for Turbo to appear. Poor guy. Just give your kitty some time. Hope he feels better soon!

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Yes cats get attached to dogs. My new kitty, Gizmo who's probably about 6 months old thinks he's part of the dogs pack. Everytime I take the dogs out my husband says he sits by the glass door, scratches at it and meows till we come back in.
So sorry you lost your dog, it's heart breaking all around. Hopefully he will feel better soon.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
While they're not cats, I've had a couple of the Hooligans grieve over the death of one of their "best friends".

Most got over it with time, however, Honey took two years to get over Too's death and only did so when I brought baby Bruiser home.

The 2nd time it happened shocked me when Mac's world came crashing down on him after Honey died ... he'd ignored all the Hooligans up until then and I never dreamed in a million years he'd react like he did (he continued ignoring the remaining Hooligans), moping around, not playing, going out to potty and then laying down waiting to come back in. Anyway, a friend was looking for a home for Faith, she sounded wonderful, and I accepted her wonderful gift ... the second Mac saw Faith he grabbed his ball and they started trotting around the yard together ... they became best friends always hanging out together until his death last December. This picture was taken a few minutes before I took Mac to the vet to be put down (inoperable cancerous tumor pressing on his bladder). They were always like this ... Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum.

Hopefully your kitty will be okay.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Aw, so sorry for your loss. My gsd Massie raised my cat Cleo and after Massie died Cleo howled for months, especially at night (because she usually slept with Massie). It was heart wrenching. It may take a while but she will eventually get through the grieving process.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Yes, this is normal. When our previous dog died, our cats got really quiet and less active. When we got Molly about two months later, even though she was pain in the butt puppy, our cats seemed happier and became more lively and started walking with us again.

So sorry to hear of your loss and now cats grieving.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
Sorry for your loss. Yes, cats grieve for lost loved ones, no matter the species. Give your kitty extra cuddles, petting and playtime. If he likes to be held, hold him tight. If he seems inconsolable, you might try putting a feline Thundershirt or tight baby t-shirt on him. Sounds crazy I know, but some animals respond very well to the pressure of a snug wrap on the body, it tends to soothe and quiet them in times of stress.

He will get over it, he just needs time, love and comfort. 2-3 weeks of grieving is pretty normal, but if it goes on much longer than a month, I'd take him to the vet to rule out any physical issues that might be causing the yowling.

·
Banned
1,116 Posts
Is it normal for a cat so attached to a dog to grieve like this?
Yes, it is. My previous GSD Ella died tragically when she was almost three years old, we got her when our Turkish Van tomcat Bushy turned 2 years. With the dogs before her Bushy wasn't friendly at all. Pretending to be ignorant, our dogs kept their distance. We introduced him to Ella-Puppy-San smell many times, scared, he might attack her. We couldn't possibly hope, but it happened. He liked the puppy and decided to make Ella his servant. She played a role of a wildebeast for him, Bushy, of course, minded himself a lion. He taught her for hiding games in a way it would be more comfortable for a feline ambushing. They often played boxing on our bed, in the hallway, they were chasing each other and I fed them treats in the same time. Interestingly, Ella gave up playing with other dogs at one and half, she simply stopped seeking company of other dogs, but she continued to play with Bushy. The accident was short and cruel to all of us. Cats considered to be even more sensitive about losses, normaly a noisy individual, he went quiet. He was cudling on the cold floor all the night long with his face to the front door. He lost interest to food, his coat started to look untidy. All these symptoms warfed away with a new girl. He didn't hiss at her longer than five minutes, he was licking her astonished puppy's forehead the very next day. Lucy turned to be very different, but he knew what to do, because he had experience! When I was booking Lucy, I was simply late for the male puppy, I don't regret it now, probably Bushy wouldn't do that well now if it wasn't a bitch. Lucy is 3 and 3 now, and Bushy is 9. Didn't see better friends.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all. I will give him time and extra cuddling like I have been. So sad, all around.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
My cat is 15. Her litter mate sister, Zora died in June and Xena will still do that every now and then. So definitely seems as though your kitty is grieving too. :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts