German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Krypto, Hiro and now Bernie who is a Golden Saint rescue
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My GSD is tolerated by my our cat Mimo. But the recent addition to the family she despises, and the feeling is mutual between her and my big Goof Ball.

Q: is there any training that could resolve this? I tried to just let it play out (within reason), but once Bernie's nose started getting sliced and diced, I pulled the plug on fight nite.

Fight nite on dropbox
As you can see, he's not taking commands as he normally would, and just ejects training treats from his mouth when he does sit, but won't stay at all, which is very odd for him. He will sit on command when confronted with a nasty, foaming Tibetan mastiff on the street, but not for my little slugger Mimo.

Disclaimer: do not try this at home without adult trainer supervision; not responsible for lost body parts resulting. In addition, only one animal was harmed when making this ...blablablablalba....

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Personally, I would never allow the behavior you showed in the video to occur in the first place! Why do that?

Sometimes getting animals that don't get along naturally because of trait differences and communication style differences, is best done slowly over time while maintaining much more control of the situation!

If it were me, I'd put the dog on a leash and use that to let him know when messing with the cat has reached a level that'sunacceptable!

That being said, I think you'll find that once the dog is a bit restrained, the curiosity will kick in, and they will eventually introduce themselves quite often. But it takes time. I certainly would never expect that the behavior shown in the video will "work itself out" though!!!

Step in, leash the dog for all interactions and let the cat decide when it's okay...

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Personally, I would never allow the behavior you showed in the video to occur in the first place! Why do that?

Sometimes getting animals that don't get along naturally because of trait differences and communication style differences, is best done slowly over time while maintaining much more control of the situation!

If it were me, I'd put the dog on a leash and use that to let him know when messing with the cat has reached a level that'sunacceptable!

That being said, I think you'll find that once the dog is a bit restrained, the curiosity will kick in, and they will eventually introduce themselves quite often. But it takes time. I certainly would never expect that the behavior shown in the video will "work itself out" though!!!

Step in, leash the dog for all interactions and let the cat decide when it's okay...
Thx Tim, thx, I tried that. Bernie has been here for months...almost 6 now... and the cat has made many overtures of cat-friendliness (in their own way)... but the Bernard brain ain't getting it. In this case, I did not set this up on purpose, I just forgot the cat was in the house, and free-ranging. I've tried many ways of familiarization... keeping them in close proximity but with barrier, lease, whatever. As long as Bernie can't see the cat, he's fine, even if he knows its on the other side of a door.

Perhaps it's just a trigger he's not willing to overcome, for food, love, fear, whatever... it's that thing that sets him off... cats.

But I've lived with so many dogs and cats together that figured out how to work it all out. Even right now, my old GSD is sniffing the cat's butt, and she looks like she's enjoying it. Oh well... maybe he just needs more time. He's a bit of a slow learner, but not so much that I've been able to teach him Come Back after being off lead, even when he is was in the middle of a dog fight (which amazed even me).

After 4 months of 24x7 of working (not much else to do in Nepal right now), he's come so far... from outta control cause he was penned up in box for a year, to peeps saying, oh how well trained he is, as well as huge. Still, we have a long way to go before I'd feel comfortable in a cafe with him. Right now, one stray cat, and it would be over, if I wasn't watching. I've got him sitting next to strange dogs just fine now, even if they are threatening. But he can't help himself when it comes to cat.

Cheers!

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
We have finally achieved a sense of peace after 6 months. It was totally the cat and her sense of drama that kept Bec so engaged. She's has come to the realization that Becca isn't a threat. I just stayed on top of Becca and didn't allow chasing or harassment. Our other cat and Becca have been best friends almost from day 1.

·
Registered
217 Posts
We have finally achieved a sense of peace after 6 months. It was totally the cat and her sense of drama that kept Bec so engaged. She's has come to the realization that Becca isn't a threat. I just stayed on top of Becca and didn't allow chasing or harassment. Our other cat and Becca have been best friends almost from day 1.
That mirrors Zac and our two cats exactly, Millie always was one for making friends with anything that moved which nearly cost her dear with next doors Akita. She's constantly rubbing herself against Zac and headbutting him as he passes. Mollie however has always been standoffish, even with us hoomans, never want's attention etc and does her own thing. Even though our last mutt Max had no interest at all in cats, in fact he used to get up and move because Millie was pestering him too much she gave him a wide berth. Zac would be more prone to chase her as she runs but if she stops he backs down, we're still working on that chase thing.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Dogs are smart
Cats are evil
End story :giggle:
sometimes I think cats are smarter and pretend not to be trainable 😂

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
My GSD is tolerated by my our cat Mimo. But the recent addition to the family she despises, and the feeling is mutual between her and my big Goof Ball.

Q: is there any training that could resolve this? I tried to just let it play out (within reason), but once Bernie's nose started getting sliced and diced, I pulled the plug on fight nite.

Fight nite on dropbox
As you can see, he's not taking commands as he normally would, and just ejects training treats from his mouth when he does sit, but won't stay at all, which is very odd for him. He will sit on command when confronted with a nasty, foaming Tibetan mastiff on the street, but not for my little slugger Mimo.

Disclaimer: do not try this at home without adult trainer supervision; not responsible for lost body parts resulting. In addition, only one animal was harmed when making this ...blablablablalba....
I have zero tolerance for any bothering of my cats, this starts from day one. With a puppy I will keep them tethered and redirect. With an older dog that was exibiting the sort of behavior in the video there would be a correction, one that meant something. I never let them "sort it out" cats can damage an eye with a swipe or a grab and shake can be the end of a cat or a big Vet bill to put them back together.

Some dogs simply are never going to be trustworthy around a cat for whatever reason.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have zero tolerance for any bothering of my cats, this starts from day one. With a puppy I will keep them tethered and redirect. With an older dog that was exibiting the sort of behavior in the video there would be a correction, one that meant something. I never let them "sort it out" cats can damage an eye with a swipe or a grab and shake can be the end of a cat or a big Vet bill to put them back together.

Some dogs simply are never going to be trustworthy around a cat for whatever reason.
So true. Mixing cats and dogs (especially GSDs) is always risky. Many times it works out fine but occasionally it does not and it gets really bad really fast. From the dog’s perspective its playtime but not for the cat. I would never leave a GSD and a cat together unattended.

·
Registered
AbbyRose
31 Posts
We brought 4 1/2 month old Abby home to us old folks and two senior cats. Poor Abby. She left mother father and big brother. She was so anxious to "connect" and tried with the cats. But my husband and I have respect for our senior cats, who we know would "try" to correct her behavior while SHE tried to herd them. We have the best cats in the world, patient but they won't back down. They would stare her down and look to us. LOOK TO US. That is how we trained them for 14 years. We were determined to have this family get along. Abby was NEVER allowed to chase them, No one will feel threatened in this family. Cats faced her and "threatened." If she ignored, she was "grounded" immediately put a collar and leash on and kept it short by us with the command NO CATS. That's the worse thing you can do to Abby. You know how this ended with this pup? She was sad, BUT when the cats saw her "disciplined/trained" they came over to comfort her, it was almost like saying yo us, we have this. This is years of training cats, and refusing ANY living creature of running roughshod over the house. NO MEANS NO. Abby likes "friends" and "social"... We all taught her to be social doesn't mean running up on and knocking over or nipping seniors even if you just want to play. A with Peaches under cofee t.jpg 20210715_200821.jpg 20210712_095807.jpg

·
Registered
711 Posts
oK I watched your video and I have to ask "What the Heck are you thinking?"

Time to start over and get more control of your dog.

Rule #1- For one week- allow cat free roam but DOG is ON a LEASH during training session.
Make dog sit near you and fairly close to cat- DOG must remain relaxed and it's OK for him to watch cat, BUT cannot move an inch toward cat. If he does, correct firmly and put in sit again.
Repeat, repeat, repeat.
DOG cannot move toward cat at all. He mUST sit still and be relaxed.
He will learn quickly he can't move toward cat or even bark. Stop the barking immediately.
Each time you correct, use loud NO.
His reward is after he sits and is quiet and relaxed. Good boy.
This is easy to teach. But you must train this consistently for 4-5 days. No backtracking allowed.
Then watch animals carefully for first few weeks- if he goes back to harrassing, start training again.

Bear - 8.5 mo old male GSD & 5 cats - Benny (6), Nani (6), Kingston (6), Rigby (4) and Hazel (3)
250 Posts
I had 5 cats before getting Bear who is now 8 months old. I allow a certain amount of back and forth curious behavior but absolutely no barking and no running at the cats. Period. Body block any time he goes beyond what they are comfortable with. You are showing him what you are NOT comfortable with.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
oK I watched your video and I have to ask "What the Heck are you thinking?"

Time to start over and get more control of your dog.

Rule #1- For one week- allow cat free roam but DOG is ON a LEASH during training session.
Make dog sit near you and fairly close to cat- DOG must remain relaxed and it's OK for him to watch cat, BUT cannot move an inch toward cat. If he does, correct firmly and put in sit again.
Repeat, repeat, repeat.
DOG cannot move toward cat at all. He mUST sit still and be relaxed.
He will learn quickly he can't move toward cat or even bark. Stop the barking immediately.
Each time you correct, use loud NO.
His reward is after he sits and is quiet and relaxed. Good boy.
This is easy to teach. But you must train this consistently for 4-5 days. No backtracking allowed.
Then watch animals carefully for first few weeks- if he goes back to harrassing, start training again.
ha! no, it was not on purpose and all u say is true, and should work with time, this one is just stubborn re: anything 4 legged. I had let him in the house, not knowing where the cat was, which of course was dumb, but that's me sometimes. We are working on it. This will serve as a good "before" video.

·
Registered
711 Posts
ha! no, it was not on purpose and all u say is true, and should work with time, this one is just stubborn re: anything 4 legged. I had let him in the house, not knowing where the cat was, which of course was dumb, but that's me sometimes. We are working on it. This will serve as a good "before" video.
They pretty much ALL seem stubborn when they're not trained and are just doing what they're used to doing.
My Heidi was so hard headed ie/ stubborn, because she was semi-feral and totally untrained. She never had to do much of anything she didn't want to do and that wasn't her idea.
Enter some firm, kind obedience type training and what a change. That hard head has softened quite a bit.
GSDs tend to have strong personalities and be strong willed BUT once you teach them better ways to get your praise they learn to like behaving properly for you.
You CAN do this. Just be consistent and keep up on the training- DAILY mini sessions is BEST.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
THX heidi, sound advice indeed. this one is a golden saint, and they seem way more stubborn than any GSD ive handled before. He's a big galloof!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts