German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just opened a can of Castor & Pollux Lamb, Veg and and Rice I think it was, and OMG! First when I popped the top it sounded like opening a coke. And then the horrible stench came. I got the phone and called the number right away, while I was talking though the stuff was starting to puff and bubble out of the can. Anyway, the customer servise was great, no complaints there. I just wanted to give everyone a heads ups. She said on the phone it sounded like the seal was broken and it had ferminated. I looked the can over and couldn't see any breaks or dents. I had ds bury it in the backyard, I didn't want the chickens to get into it.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
There is definitely no need to blacklist an entire brand due to one bad can IMHO. I received a sample bag (a small bag, not the little sample packets most companies give out) a couple years ago and it smelled FANTASTIC. I considered eating it myself, it smelled that good. The dogs loved it too. :)

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Sometimes cans don't seal properly (usually rare - but it does happen even in the human food chain)....when it ferments like that it can be very dangerous to anyone that eats it. Isn't it botulism when that happens? Do you have the lot number? Thanks for the heads up.

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
It does sound like it was contaminated with botulism - much more serious than "fermenting". I'd read up on botulism on the 'net to recognize the signs of conatminated cans and understand the damage that contaminated food can do.

Burying it deep was a good thing to do!

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
Sometimes cans don't seal properly (usually rare - but it does happen even in the human food chain)....when it ferments like that it can be very dangerous to anyone that eats it. Isn't it botulism when that happens? Do you have the lot number? Thanks for the heads up.
No it probably is not botulism because botulism is anaerobic. So it is a risk in a sealed can not one that has oxygen in it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But what is it was a sealed can? I don't know what happened to it, I just know it was bad. Once I opened it, I knew it was bad and called. While talking to the customer service lady the stuff in the can was rising over the top. That was when I threw it all in bag and had my 14 yr old bury it. There were a lot of bubbles in the juice part too. Just make sure to check your cans for any deep dings or dents.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Andy - Castor & Pollux

Hi,
My name is Andy and I am the Sales Guy for Castor & Pollux. Sorry to hear that you got a bad can, but glad to hear our customer service team was helpful. I have three dogs, and one of them is named Martini, a white German Shepherd(photo attached, his ears both flop). He was rescued from an abusive situation. I just got back from a 3 mile hike with him and saw this post. If you or any other members of the forum have any questions about our product that I can help with, please feel free to email me directly at [email protected]. We carefully monitor our quality control. I've worked in the industry for a long time and I can tell you our ingredients and product quality are world class. I hope you decide to give us another chance, but most importantly I hope you find a food that works well for you and for your dog. Sorry for the long post.

Thanks for reading.

Attachments

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
ok Andy, how is it this is your 1st post and it's about
your company??

>>>> how did you get back from a 3 mile hike (nice hike)
and find this thread as a new member???

>>>> i don't think the OP is having a problem finding
a food that works for them. it's the can of food
from Castor & Pollux. :laugh: <<<<

i'm not bashing your company because a bad can here and there
doesn't mean anything meaning the incidents of bad product
are minimal. after seeing the name Castor & Pollux it reminded
of a lamb treat i believe you have for dogs. i've been
meaning to buy a bag.

oh yeah, can you get us (forum members) a discount
on your products???

I just opened a can of Castor & Pollux Lamb, Veg and and Rice I think it was, and OMG! First when I popped the top it sounded like opening a coke. And then the horrible stench came.
Hi,

>>>> My name is Andy and I am the Sales Guy for Castor & Pollux.<<<<

Sorry to hear that you got a bad can, but glad to hear our customer service team was helpful. I have three dogs, and one of them is named Martini, a white German Shepherd(photo attached, his ears both flop). He was rescued from an abusive situation.

>>>>I just got back from a 3 mile hike with him and saw this post. <<<

I hope you decide to give us another chance, but most importantly

>>>>I hope you find a food that works well for you and for your dog.<<<<

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Again,
I found the original post because Google emails me when something is posted about my company. I usually read them and move on, but since I have Martini, I thought I would personally get on and reply. If you want to try our food, and want a coupon it is pretty easy. Just go to this website and print one out. www.foodforpets.com You can also compare our foods to others. We also have a money back gaureentee. I am pretty serious when I say I want our food to work, but mostly I want you to find a food that works for you. If for some reason It isn't us, then we will refund your purchase. I hope that helps. I don't take any of it as company bashing. When it comes to my own family, I am pretty critical as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts