German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading a couple of stories in this forum about people who have lost pets because of tennis balls, and talking to my neighbors son about losing a Newfie because of a tennis ball, we have switched to frisbees. (A couple of Jawz flying discs)

It's great for me because I can't throw them far enough to get them over our fence and I can stand on our deck and throw them.
We live in a rambler and have a low deck (a couple of feet off the ground) off of the kitchen area.
It's been in the upper 30's and lower 40's for the last few days so the snow is melting away from the deck and has left several "gaps" between the snowbanks and the deck.

Yesterday, Cass was bringing her disc back to me and it slipped out of her mouth and slid down the snowbank and about 3 feet under the deck.
After looking at me like, "dad, go get my disc, it's under the deck" and barking a few times, I told her to go get it.
WOW, it took her about a minute to dig the opening big enough to get her entire body under the deck and get in there. I heard her bark a couple of times and told her to "bring".
A few seconds later, she came backing herself out of the opening with the disc in her mouth.
I had forgotten how fast they can dig and go after something they want.

If we had an avalanche rescue group closer to us, I'd get her involved. Unfortunately for us, the highest point in MN is only about 900 feet above sea level and I don't think they get too many avalanches.

We're still toying around with what her "job" will be, but we'll find something soon.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
She would probably do well at rescue work. GSDs are so amazingly intelligent. I hide jolly balls and various items in bushes in our yard. I tell Jamie to find it and the search is on.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We were leaning toward tracking type of work. I don't need to compete with her, I just want her to have a "job".
She LOVES to work. I think that's the GSD/Mal mix. She has really high drive but can be kind of soft, at times. We've worked on this, but I think she's just a softer dog. (Rescue at 18 months, now almost 2 1/2) Doesn't have a lot of interest in bite work but loves to use her nose. She's a great dog.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Like a dummie, I threw a disc into a small apple tree along the side of the hill just a few minutes ago. It took her a while to figure it out, but by going on the uphill side of the tree, she was able to get the disc and bring it back.

They both got a really good workout today because the snow is so soft, they sink in a bit while running. We just did about 20 minutes and tongues were out and they were POOPED.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
She sounds like our female, that girl loves to go find things. I think it's what makes her so easy to entertain. I hide things and she goes and looks for them. Have fun with that quality, it's a good one!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts