German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a new cartoonist on staff of our local newspaper that is brave enough to draw what most are afraid to speak. I found one that was non-political.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Lol! Oh so true.

I was thinking the same thing at work last night as a family walked around the building with one kid crying for a game, and their toddler screaming at the top of their lungs (not upset... just screaming cause they wanted too... then they'd laugh, and continue on with screaming). This went on for over an hour.

I just can't understand why parents think that's ok these days. Back when I was a kid, the second I started even the smallest fit.... I got pulled aside, or outside completely and given a good talking to! I did a throw down to the floor screaming fit ONCE.... and my goodness, I never did that again throughout my whole childhood. If I had a problem, it waited until we were out of the store and we talked about it. Parents just fail at discipline these days, and they are also way too quick to ignore their children and let them do as they wish... then when someone says something, they get angry.

I was in a store a few days ago. Part of the store was under construction. They had caution tape surrounding the whole thing multiple times, and shopping baskets laying over the holes that had wires inside the part that was already blocked off. Well, while the father was looking at cameras... his son managed to climb INTO the caution tape fencing.... and was lifting up the baskets and digging into the holes in the floor. The father did nothing. We watched this for 10min until I finally said something. He gave me a nasty look, and ripped his son out of the construction site.... then left in a rage. All I said was... "Sir, I think those are electrical wires your son is playing with. I'd really hate to see him get hurt.".... I thought to myself "Wow! First off, back in the day we wouldn't have been just ignored with our parents back to us like that out in public... But, also my parents would have been THANKFUL that someone was caring enough to keep us safe." Instead I got attitude back.

This is definitely something that really ticks me off about society.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
AND we wouldn't have been so dumb as kids these days to go through the caution tape. If my daughter did that I would be upset that she clearly ignored the tape blocking it off. Tantrums happen, and I'm a pretty gentle parent. But I'm not afraid to remove my child from the store. Even if that means I'm leaving a full grocery cart behind.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Ha! It doesn't stop with babies. A new family moved in 2 houses down and they have 2 little ones. They let them out in the yard and all you hear is them screeming & yelling.
All the kids around here have grown from the screeming little ones to the teens getting rowdy in the woods then driving up and down the block 50 times a day. We finaly had peace.....oh well.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
AND we wouldn't have been so dumb as kids these days to go through the caution tape. If my daughter did that I would be upset that she clearly ignored the tape blocking it off. Tantrums happen, and I'm a pretty gentle parent. But I'm not afraid to remove my child from the store. Even if that means I'm leaving a full grocery cart behind.

I wish more did that here. It happens, I get it... but, do something! Unfortunately, they just let them scream and do nothing about it. As if THEY don't hear it. Well, I'm not a rude person and I don't look to offend..... But, I am not a parent by choice, and do not want to here everyone else's bratty kids scream and whine and throw fits. I DO hear it, loud and clear! It's the same thing with dogs..... I wouldn't go out in public with my dogs barking and carrying on and expect everyone to put up with it. IF I thought that was ok... then fine, but in my own home where it's only me hearing it. People these days are just extremely self centered, rude, and completely out of touch with humanity.

Ha! It doesn't stop with babies. A new family moved in 2 houses down and they have 2 little ones. They let them out in the yard and all you hear is them screeming & yelling.
All the kids around here have grown from the screeming little ones to the teens getting rowdy in the woods then driving up and down the block 50 times a day. We finaly had peace.....oh well.
Lol! We're lucky... it's all old couples, and young couples here. No children around. We did have a couple that lived next door that had a baby, and he was about 4 when they moved out. But, I tell you... I never heard him. Must of been the most well behaved child. The only time I knew he was there was when he was playing in his little battery powered car outside, or on his swing.
They were also extremely respectful of our dogs, and so was the little boy. Never had an issue. They were great neighbors.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Love this!! My kids are being raised how my husband and I were raised. Stupid actions have consequences. No tantrums. Manners are a must.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Love that cartoon!

We don't have children, but if we did we wouldn't let them get away with tantrums and such. We weren't raised that way.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
My father and I would have made a quick trip to the men's room had I acted like that in public. In fact we did make a few trips as I was growing up.

My son and I made the same trips a time or two as well.

[grumpy old fart]There's no excuse for a child to act like that in public. If you can't manage your children leave them at home.
[/grumpy old fart]

·
Registered
482 Posts
My husband and I do not have kids. We have been out places to eat on a wait finally get to our table surrounded by screaming or misbehaving children and decline to sit there and wait longer for another table. If I would of EVER acted like that as a child I would have no skin left on my backside. I was not abused and rarely got a spanking but the fear of one was enough for me to mind my P's and Q's :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
See there's a fine line here. People who do not have children have no idea what it's like. What's that saying? "I was a great parent, before I had kids!" You think you will handle situations one way, and the kids come and throw you for a loop. I am in no way a big Spanker, take my kid to the bathroom Etc kind of parent. But I'm also not going to just sit there while my kid screams and throws him or herself on the floor. I have had to remove my daughter, who is now 6, a couple times for tantrums. With a time out in the car. But it only took a time or two and never happened again. Also, some kids are harder than others. What works for one child may not work for the next. Being a parent is by far the hardest, and yes most rewarding also, job in the world.

Living next to babies or kids can bring some screams and loudness, sure. But it also brings laughter and joy watching them. I couldn't imagine not wanting to live near children.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
We were always raised to respect elders and have good manners, but it was strictly enforced when we were out in public. Transgressions were dealt with quickly and firmly lol We rarely made the same mistake twice ;)

One of our rules was - you go to a person's house, it doesn't matter what it put on the plate in front of you, you eat it. I was a very picky eater as a child, and still am but I forced myself to swallow enough to be polite.

My sister had one of her friends over with her two young children, 4 & 6 years old. I had made a homemade mac & cheese dish, very simple and plain with a breadcrumb topping and she asked if she could use it for dinner as apparently the two kids are very picky and she figured it would be a nice compromise. I agreed, and when we sat down to dinner and both kids looked at their plates and then looked at their mom, their mom looked back and told them to try the food. Both ate one noodle and the 4 year old promptly spit it out, and the 6 year old gleefully annouced how much he loved it but after eating two bites gave up. After whining and running around the table the four year old decided she wanted a peanut butter sandwich, the mother asked my sister to make her one. She agreed and made it, the daughter sat down and took one bite and then left the table and was off playing again as she decided she didn't want it anymore. The son ended up eating the sandwich his sister had deserted

I was very offended, there was nothing in that mac & cheese that had the slightest offensive taste, no onions or anything strong and they didn't even eat more then two bites between them. They both had good sized portions given too which was a waste of a perfectly good meal after they had smushed it with their spoons. The kids were both old enough that it shouldn't have taken convincing to get them to eat a few bites, the fact the four year old turned her nose up at the sandwich she asked for was the breaking point.

I said nothing and kept my expression as neutral as possible as we finished dinner and cleaned up. When they left my sister told me they acted the same way at home, needless to say we both agreed the next visit would be her going over to THEIR house lol She's their godmother so they get together for holidays and such

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
Just a gentle reminder. There are some children that are mentally handicapped and it doesn't show on the outside. If a parent is TRYING to control their child I will give them a pass.

It's the ones that don't even pay attention to where their children are or what they are doing that tick me off. If I see an unattended child in a store starting to get into trouble I will walk up to them and tell them to STOP IT. Most times that sends them running back their parents (who usually shoot me a dirty look - too bad!).

Now, for the flip side. Anytime we are out shopping or dining we make SURE to tell parents with the well-behaved kids how nice it is to see kids that well-behaved!!

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Just a gentle reminder. There are some children that are mentally handicapped and it doesn't show on the outside. If a parent is TRYING to control their child I will give them a pass.
I do agree, but I think we're all mostly referring to just plain bratty children running all over their parents

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
See there's a fine line here. People who do not have children have no idea what it's like. What's that saying? "I was a great parent, before I had kids!" You think you will handle situations one way, and the kids come and throw you for a loop. I am in no way a big Spanker, take my kid to the bathroom Etc kind of parent. But I'm also not going to just sit there while my kid screams and throws him or herself on the floor. I have had to remove my daughter, who is now 6, a couple times for tantrums. With a time out in the car. But it only took a time or two and never happened again. Also, some kids are harder than others. What works for one child may not work for the next. Being a parent is by far the hardest, and yes most rewarding also, job in the world.

Living next to babies or kids can bring some screams and loudness, sure. But it also brings laughter and joy watching them. I couldn't imagine not wanting to live near children.

No one here has said that parents SHOULD do all that though.... just said that's what would of happened when they were younger. Personally, I don't care what a parent does.. but DO SOMETHING! If they show they are actually trying to handle them OR at least SOME acknowledgement to respecting those around them..... then that's fine. Most here around where I live don't do anything. They just ignore it and let everyone else suffer.

And lets remember as well.... not everyone enjoys kids. That's not a crime. That doesn't make us horrible people. I love my niece and nephews to death, but I'm not about to have my own... or want to deal with others. I have the same respect with my dogs... Not everyone likes dogs. I'm not going to shove them on everyone. I don't have to be a parent to understand how to be respectful and what's right and wrong.

Personally... I do not want to live around a bunch of kids. They bring me no joy, and after all the stress of the day and in my life with my health and the dogs.... The last thing I want to hear is a bunch of kids screaming. We're all different... which is why we must respect those around us... what's awesome for one, is He** for another. Reason #1 why my dogs are not allowed to carry on in public or at home. I want my neighbors to come home and enjoy their home life, not be bothered by my dogs.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
No one here has said that parents SHOULD do all that though.... just said that's what would of happened when they were younger. Personally, I don't care what a parent does.. but DO SOMETHING! If they show they are actually trying to handle them OR at least SOME acknowledgement to respecting those around them..... then that's fine. Most here around where I live don't do anything. They just ignore it and let everyone else suffer.

And lets remember as well.... not everyone enjoys kids. That's not a crime. That doesn't make us horrible people. I love my niece and nephews to death, but I'm not about to have my own... or want to deal with others. I have the same respect with my dogs... Not everyone likes dogs. I'm not going to shove them on everyone. I don't have to be a parent to understand how to be respectful and what's right and wrong.

Personally... I do not want to live around a bunch of kids. They bring me no joy, and after all the stress of the day and in my life with my health and the dogs.... The last thing I want to hear is a bunch of kids screaming. We're all different... which is why we must respect those around us... what's awesome for one, is He** for another. Reason #1 why my dogs are not allowed to carry on in public or at home. I want my neighbors to come home and enjoy their home life, not be bothered by my dogs.
No, your right. To each their own. Everyone should be respectful to others. Including kids.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Unfortunately times have changed. I wouldn't let my daughter walk a mile alone to school. Ill walk with her, sure. But not alone. But she's only 6. I wish I felt safe enough to not have to worry about those things. It was much better for the kids back when they walked everywhere and spent all their time with their friends outside.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I don't know if kids are better or worse, I'm guessing the kids themselves are probably the same as always. The parents have changed. I hate it when parents drive their kids to a school that is less than a one-mile safe walk from the house.

Really?
In this world there is no safe walk for children, A good time for a walk with parents and dogs too.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
In my twisted world dogs > kids. I don't have kids, kids drive me insane. Loving and proper one second, scheming and sulky the next. Dogs are a bit less chaotic, they mature faster too. I babysit a good bit, 4 year old and an 8 year old. The kids like me okay, but know that I brook no improper behavior on certain things. Mainly my theory on babysitting's overarching purpose. It's simple, "no grievous bodily harm". Mom and dad do not want to return home to damaged goods, so I gauge situations on how badly maimed a child could become and enforce that decision ABSOLUTELY. Like I said, the kids think I'm okay, they know they are not going to sweet talk me into anything and my decrees are in stone. Rude behavior is dealt with in a similar manner, I give warning of impending "consequences" and follow up as needed.

My observations of moms and dads have left me with the impression that kids know the buttons and will push them as long and hard as possible to get their way. I mean mom and dad love their kids more than life itself, so there will be bent rules and regs. My job when caring for a child is to prevent accidents and harm, my job is black and white, moms and dads jobs are in the grey. I salute parents, my style of rearing a kid would be awful in the long run. I'd turn out little robots, well behaved little ankle biters no doubt, but I have a feeling that when puberty hit I'd be in for a hellish time.

Dogs thrive under my rule, they know what's up and by their genetic code they revel in it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts