German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found him on craigslist, went there today, checked him out and took him with me.

The Lady that had him, took him from a military family that left him behind. They pcs'ed to Korea and did not want to spend the money. Apparently he is from the Riverside Kennels but has no tatoo. I don't know if he has a chip, I will check on that.

I am in contact with the breeder but we have no date of birth nor his real name and the original owners never got him register let alone left any paperwork behind and can't be reached.
So it is still unclear if he is really a riverside dog, however you can tell from his confirmation that he is very well bred and not one of your backyard breeder dogs.

He's very sweet and gentle. He gets along great with other dogs, mine accepted him from the very first moment and that means something. He is very gentle with the puppy, he does not chase the cat, he's good with kids.

He does pull on the leash which I will be working on. He knows sit and that is pretty much all he knows.

Since the ladys daughter had a severe asthma attack due to an allergic reaction I agreed to foster him and to try to find him a good home.

He is due with his rabies shot which I will take care off. If I hadn't already four GSD's I'd seriously consider to keep him myself but my husband would probably kick my butt if I took onto a fifth dog.
However, I can foster him until he finds a forever home and if the future owners ever come into the situation where they have to give him up I WILL take him back!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
He sounds like a great dog and he sure is beautiful!! Too bad you can't keep him :crazy: he's gorgeous.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know, I'd love to keep him but I have to draw a line. Fostering is different though. I can always foster for a period of time. He is a looker. Even in that "crappy" shot he's still a looker. The picture does not do him justice at all.

I'll see if I can find a neuter program. I hate doing it but in this case it's absolutely necessary because I don't want him to end up as a BYB stud dog.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
That is wonderful that your trying to help him, he is good hands!

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you, I will try to find him a good home. He deserves it.

Also, he's awfully skinny. Too skinny even with his wintercoat.

He's not food aggressive and a slow eater compared to my vacuum cleaners. It's not a problem to feed him with the others at all.

I will take him to the Vet on Ft.Drum. Since it is a military family the vet may actually recognize him and maybe he can give me more info on the dog.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Mrs. K,

Feel free to contact Pat at GSD Rescue Central NY . She may be able to courtesy post him or know of an approved family looking for a GSD similar to him. She may also know of a cheaper spay/neuter center or vouchers available. She's always looking for experienced GSD people to foster if you want to make that a regular thing. :D

Home - German Shepherd Rescue of Central NY (GSRCNY)

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oooh, thank you so much. I will definitely contact her.

I hate to see him go though. I am not sure if I'd be a good foster since I want to keep them all. HAHA. :p

Nah, I'd love to do this a regular thing.

He is so loving. Just gave me a long hug and needs lots and lots of love. If it wasn't such a big thing over here there would be no need to get him neutered at all. He is a very easy going dog.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
he's a handsome dog! if i was closer and we could i would totally snatch him up. Would have to neuter him either. Definitely dont want a litter of pups running around. Good luck finding a nice home for him!!!

·
Registered
334 Posts
That's really nice of you to take him in.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It sounds to me like you should keep him, Mrs. K. ;) Just sayin....He sounds like a great fit.
Oh boy, you guys are supposed to help me find him a good home not to talk me into keeping him. I would seriously be worried about my husbands sanity if I told him "Honey, we are going to keep Rex, isn't that exciting?" :wild:

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just to give a heads up. It looks like Mid Atlantic GSD Rescue can help to place him. They have an already qualified adopter who has lost his dog to cancer and is now looking for another GSD. Caroline asked if I was okay to turn him over and since he would be in great hands I have no concerns in doing so.

Hopefully it'll all work out. :)

·
Registered
290 Posts
Great news! I'm sure it will all work out. Now start scanning for your next one to save. :crazy:

Kelly

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think for now it would actually be better if I give my bitch more time to get settled into the new place. I think I am demanding too much from her and she needs to be able to come to rest. Maybe I shouldn't take another foster in until Audie, our boarding dog, goes back home.

Caroline gave me a call earlier today and what I really like is that their adopters have to go through a training class with the dog, which he really needs. It's mandatory and since the people already had a dog from their rescue I am feeling confident about handing him over. Plus she's active on here as well and I read a couple of her posts from other rescue situations. :)

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Yippee! Great job Mrs K, thank you for helping him out.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Excellent job!

Okay, who got a new puppy?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts