German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for opinions before I yank out at least the carpet in our bedroom.We have three Shepherds and the dust in the house is amazing.We both have allergies and sneeze alot and I have been getting the willies lately after reading about dust mites and where they hang out.
So any advice about what to do,if cleaning bare floors is much easier and better and less places for the mites.
Obviously the carpet is warmer on the feet in the Winter time but if anyone could,please give some pluses and minuses.
Thank you all in advance.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I have wood floors thru out my house, however, I have throw rugs thru out as well, I have a couple seniors who slip on the wood, so the rugs provide some traction.

Having dogs and cats, I just can't have wall to wall anymore, to hard to clean up from accidents if they occur..The throw rugs are easily disposable if I have to..

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
We had to pull up the carpet a fews years ago after Cody was on prednisone the first time, I didn't know about the peeing with it! Lessons learned! While we were waiting to get new carpet we just had the bare cement slab with area rugs! Boy, then you realize just how much they shed and track in dirt! I imagine it'd be the same with wood floors, keep the broom handy! I put in the pet pad under the carpet,but have tile in the kitchen and garage(it's built in). Now as we transitioned to seniors I have had to cover the tile with a stress mat you can buy by the foot on a roll because of them slipping/ falling on tile. I guess it depends on the age of your furr babies ! If you get carpet the pet pad under it is very worth the extra cost!

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I think hardwood floors are much easier to clean, nothing can hide. The house I bought has hardwood everywhere except the bedrooms. I just put down area rugs and that helps slow them down from point A to point B. Eventually I want all hardwood, but since the carpet is brand new, it bides me some time.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I absolutely love our tile and hardwood floors. I feel like it is impossible to entirely get the dust and hair out of most carpets without professional cleaning.

One thing you could try for the dust is misting the room with water vapor so that it falls to the ground... If it's dust stuck in the carpet this will not work I guess.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I have tile and carpet and I'll tell you what I'd much rather have all tile or hardwood much easier to maintain the carpet is a hassle I vacuum twice a day and it still never looks clean carpet /pets/kids don't make a good match lol...

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Hardwood floors here and tile, much easier to clean than carpet. But dust, still have a lot of that.:(

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
I am looking for opinions before I yank out at least the carpet in our bedroom.We have three Shepherds and the dust in the house is amazing.We both have allergies and sneeze alot and I have been getting the willies lately after reading about dust mites and where they hang out.
So any advice about what to do,if cleaning bare floors is much easier and better and less places for the mites.
Obviously the carpet is warmer on the feet in the Winter time but if anyone could,please give some pluses and minuses.
Thank you all in advance.
I have about half and half. I find the carpet easier to care for.... The dust/dirt/fur just collect into giant hairballs on the wood floors. I wish I had gone with whole house carpet. :(

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
I'm another carpet lover. I actually have a large area rug in my kitchen so my dogs don't slip on the linoleum. Even my back porch has an old carpet that was torn out of my brother's new house, lol! I don't find it hard to keep clean - just regular vacuuming and the occasional going-over with the carpet cleaner works fine. I really do worry about the dogs having proper traction, and for some reason the only time I had a real problem was years ago when I had beautiful old hardwood - and also a horrible flea infestation! I've never had any issues with the carpeting.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I had the same question awhile back and ultimately I chose to rip out the carpet and replace with hard floors. I strongly suggest getting something like the Hoover Floor Mate. I don't have mine yet but my cousin swears by it. I find it hard to keep my hard floors looking good and she says this does the trick.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all.We have both,living room,one bedroom and kitchen with either hardwood or linoleum and the other bedrooms and family room and hallway carpet.
The dogs are 7,4 and 7 months.The pee isn`t and really hasn`t been a problem,these guys are so smart at such an early age,they let us know when they need to go out,it is more about what gets buried deep in the carpet that the vacuum doesn`t get to and like I said,the dust mites hang on and don`t get picked up by the vacuum.So getting rid of them is the main objective.Our previous GS was allergic to those stupid things and it wouldn`t surprise me if these guys are too but I am not about to donate another $500.00 to the doggie dermatologist.

These guys have track meets inside the house and it seems if we do yank the carpet that it is not worth refinishing the hardwood floors with the dogs nails.
Sound about right?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Another good device is the Bissel floor cleaner for pets! Get rid of those hair balls I have tile,hardwood and two rugs! Oh and we have an air purifier in the ba
end room and just invested in a Blueair air purifier for the rest of the house and it makes a world of difference in air quality and dust!

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have hardwood throughout the house except for the basement. When i got kanan I pulled up all the area rugs while he was house training. 95% of the house is still hardwood, and the tumble weeds of fur are comical. But much easier to vacuum up when they coalesce in the corners.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Also, we have a couple of air purifiers we got here, just btw. I have a dog allergy, when the fur and dander really piles up, and this has been a real godsend.

Purefromnature.com

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
I think hardwood, and tile is a lot better. Especially when the dogs get older and start having illness's. They mean not to do it, but it seems when their journey is almost over, they vomit or something else on the carpet. I have one more carpet to get rid of, then I will be 80% hardwood floors. :)

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
It's a tossup for me. We had hardwood floors in Pittsburgh that I was constantly sweeping/swiffering...twice a day to keep up on the dust bunnies and fur tumbleweeds...but it didn't take long and puppy accidents were a cinch to clean.

On the other side, Puppy Finn had lots of slips and spills to include a tumble down the steps. Chey was starting her senior years, but an accident where she fell back down the steps after stumbling on her way up left her with bumps, bruises, and she never walked up those steps again and she gingerly walked on all surfaces not covered in a throw rug.

Carpet was a life saver. I could go without sweeping a day or two and no one was the wiser. Chey zoomed up and down the steps and through the rooms with ease. She could also fall asleep on the floor and could get up with ease.

At the same time, senior messes started happening and were tough to clean, cat/dog vomit left horrible stains, and new puppy piddle left such a smell even after cleaning because so much had soaked in that I spent 200$ on carpet cleaning.

Personally, I prefer carpet as hardwood/ laminate can be tough on puppies and seniors, even though it's easier to clean.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
51 Posts
Here in Egypt tiles are standard with the odd horrible magic carpet style rug that we do not have.

Taking into account the mess I get sweeping, washing etc I would never even ever never consider carpet which gets full of dust mites and germs.

Ever lift a carpet and shake it out and see all the sand? :eek:

I think bugs and fleas can live in there as well, not sure

If it was me - lino floor or tiles all the way so easy to bleach and keep clean

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
Although I have to sweep the hardwood almost every day...I'd do that rather than pretend all that fur and dirt isn't hiding in the carpet. You can't see it on the carpet...so yes, you could go a week or two without vacuuming, but we'd fill up a Dyson 4 times vacuuming a 700 square foot apartment. Now, I just sweep up all the hair with a dust mop, takes like 5 minutes to walk around the house and get all the hair clumps.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts