German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering what the best protective gear for dogs carpal paws are. Front and rear. My girl is a working line high drive dog and goes for a ball like crazy all day long. So i was needing a product to help protect her legs as she slides.

Saw z-control for the front paws, which is used in flyball competitions. Anything out there that working dogs use or any other products i might should look at. Her rear legs take a real beating

·
Registered
4,642 Posts
They're mostly all the same, or at least very similar. A lot of people sew their own. Something to think about though, the dogs that are that loaded for the ball, the other injuries can be worse then the pads. You may want to limit the fetching a little, or at least make it a little more of a hunting game by throwing it into taller grass where she'll have to search for it. I tend to do a lot more recalls letting him take it as he runs by then letting him go after a live, bouncing ball.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Yup, my girl just broke a nail pretty bad chasing a ball. I like to throw it into high grass, or play fetch in water when possible. Deep snow also works. Injuries from chasing a bouncing ball are pretty common. I had access to a great field recently, with lots of long grass and no ticks. She had to do a lot of searching for the ball, and it slowed her down. Although she still got a few on the first bounce if the stars aligned.

It's hard, because the dog loves it, obsesses over it. But I generally limit ball play.

Some people also like to make the dog wait and then release to get the ball once it's stopped moving. Tends to reduce risk.

Flyball is pretty injury prone, from what I've seen. I won't run any of my dogs in it, with their drive and size it is too risky for me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts