German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am looking for some advise on Kaisers injury. About 3 weeks ago he cut his carpal pad on broken glass :)mad:). We brought him to the vet who had to sedate him, while he was under we got him nutured so we didnt have to get him sedated again. Nuturing went fine. The glass cut below the pad and the side, a good gash just where the pad joins the skin. Now he got stiches in and the vet gave him back to me with no bandage on and told me to keep his lampshade on which we did. 2 days later while he was out for a pee he spotted a cat and bailed after it, ripping out the stiches! So back to the vet who put staples in this time and put a bandage on, but told me to take it off 2 days later. Well it came off two days later and looked good. However he slightly tore it open again just running around the house. I took him back down to the vet and she said it was only really the scab that tore off that was bleeding and just to keep it clean.
After another week - week and a half he was back down to get staples out. The vet was very happy with it and said to keep him in for another few days. After that few days we let him out into the garden for a little run about, nothing heavy but just to relieve some frustration. And we are back to square one, it ripped open once again and as bad as when he first did it. I have had a bandage on it now the past few days as I cant bring him to the vets again, he gets so stressed out shaking that I feel we are doing more damage than good streesing him out.
What would you reccomend to clean it out properly and keep infection out, and if we get an slight infection what to use rather than getting him antibiotics? We have been told by another vet, that has not seen him to keep it bandaged until it heals as it is a hard place to keep infection out of.

Any help greatly appriciated.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
I was under the impression that pads couldn't be stitched or stapled for that very reason.
I'm a big fan of the "liquid stitches" stuff. It's like super glue for skin.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
carpal pad.

Yes I have heard that a few times now too. Seems like it was a complete wasste of money to get them stiched. Well hopefully it will mend well now.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've just been to the local chemist. I got a bottle of hibiscrub to clean and disinfect the wound. I have asked about the liquid stiches but they don't have it. I'll keep looking. He is sitting here now nice and calm after his walk on the lead. I feel so sorry that he has to hold off on his runs for another couple of weeks. He loves his runs. I will keep you all posted on
His progress.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
You might also want to get him some boots. Should be able to fit the boot over the bandage when he goes out. I would also keep him tethered to you at all times when not confined to a crate (if you are confining him). It needs to heal completely before he can romp around. Are you able to take him for frequent short walks? Assuming the walks are not harming the healing process.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes I am bringing him on 3-4 short walks a day. The rest of the time we are doing some in door training. Thankfully it has started to calm him down a bit as je was starting to get very restless and agitated. He is on his new comfy bed nice and relaxed. I have also ordered some medical grade Manuka honey to treat his wound. I have heard nothing but good about it. Anything has to be better than antibiotics. I will let you know how he goes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts