1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,755 Posts

·
Registered
7,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There's a lengthy page of remarks from her foster family on her petfinder site. What is cage aggression? She's big dog in a small space, away from her family and normal environment; couldn;t this aggression be in response to that and not normal aggression? Does this mean that VSGR is not interested in her?

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I was out there yesterday pulling another girl and spent some time with this girl. Cage aggression is when they show a large amount of aggression through the kennel.
She met me outside while on leash and was fine. However, once back in her kennel, it didn't matter how many times she saw me, the teeth were still bared and there was some serious barking at me. I didn't back down and calmly continued to tell her down and she finally obeyed and got a treat. She acted the same way with my 12-year old son and finally calmed down.
When we left the kennel and closed the outer door, within two minutes she was literally climbing the six-foot kennel cage and balancing on top, looking around before she jump down and started visiting the other kennels.
Yes, she is workable, but with a lot of work. You have to stop and think again how these habits will mesh with today's society and housing. First, she would be in a precious-foster-care spot for quite a while, if we could find a foster willing to take her. Then, you have to think ... what if she finally did go to a GSD savvy home, and still is fence aggressive with the neighborhood children and then follows with a fence climbing act. Not a good combination. This dog will easily need a seven-foot privacy fence ... maybe higher. There just isn't a whole lot of adoptive homes out there that can handle a dog like this. It is a sad fact, but true.
VGSR is sad that we don't currently have the resources to turn her around too, but it is what it is.
I'm sorry.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts