German Shepherds Forum banner

141 - 148 of 148 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #141 (Edited)
The video of him calmly watching the kids playing supports what I would consider genetic obedience. He is just watching and checking things out and not reacting. He instinctively seems to know what his turf and role is. My guess is that my pup at that age would have charged across the street and be very animated. Based on that snapshot, it would seem your pup would likely excel at focused tasks rather than precision sport, while any protection training could likely be successful if more PP oriented. Very nice pup. It goes back to the saying the dog is good but good for what?
I agree with your assessment 100% and have said as much from our beginning together. He's not going to be flashy, but he's going to mean whatever he does.

Our daily life together supports this as well. The thing he gets must excited about is me. Not a particular toy or treat. His strongest drive us to work with me. If that includes a toy, that's great! If I quit the activity, the toy is no longer important. Definitely a PP candidate.

He's also nose crazy. Deep in the grass. Following and finding things.

He is possessive of things with the other dogs and people but not me at all. He will tug well but doesn't get frustrated when I take the toy. Just excited to go again.

We did 8 50 foot retrieves last night, right to hand on all but 1.

Watching him develop is so interesting.

ETA: yes, definitely good for what? I'm luckily in a position to do whatever he's good at. Sport or PP or Nosework, herding or whatever. I'm not trying to fit the dog to the job. He will have a solid foundation to build on and then we will go from there.

·
Super Moderator
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
One tired puppy. 4 miles hike with intermittent swimming and romps through the woods. All off leash.

Practiced recalls and a little hunt/fetch in some tall grass.

We had a blast today!

·
Registered
6,534 Posts
That's the way to do it. I bet he won't be practicing bad behaviors tonight.

·
Super Moderator
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #145

·
Super Moderator
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
Engagement! Love it

·
Super Moderator
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
Here is a more formal obstacle course session. This is the second formal session he has had.

141 - 148 of 148 Posts