121 - 140 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
6,518 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
The salient behavior I see is your pup’s desire to engage with. That will make training so much more fun.
That is really sticking out to me as well. He's a blast. Can't wait until we get into real tug rewards.

Reactions: Sabis mom

·
Super Moderator
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
Here's Valor in the front yard tonight. He's so stable. I like this reaction. Interested and watching but not threatened, nervous or excited.

·
Super Moderator
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
Obstacle course introduction. He has been up the ramp, but not at that steep an angle.

·
Super Moderator
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
It was 9 hours since breakfast.

I use a mixture of chicken, dehydrated beef, dehydrated liver, cheese, sometimes good hot dogs.

It's more about having fun with me than whatever food reward he's getting.

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
David, watch that video! Near the beginning you jump into and then out of the box and so does he!
So cute.
He clearly has no issues following you and I like seeing how when he struggles you back off and go back to where he is comfortable. I think that is important for confidence and trust. It's something a lot of people miss. There is a balance between letting them try and beating down the confidence.

Edit: Since the tires seem to stump him would you consider laying them in a single level on the ground for him to climb around on and in before stacking them?

·
Registered
6,518 Posts
Stonnie Dennis move over! 😁

·
Super Moderator
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
David, watch that video! Near the beginning you jump into and then out of the box and so does he!
So cute.
He clearly has no issues following you and I like seeing how when he struggles you back off and go back to where he is comfortable. I think that is important for confidence and trust. It's something a lot of people miss. There is a balance between letting them try and beating down the confidence.

Edit: Since the tires seem to stump him would you consider laying them in a single level on the ground for him to climb around on and in before stacking them?
I don't see it as struggling with the tires at all. Its new to him. He went further than I thought he would on day 1. I'd call that success.

He will conquer the tires. It's just a matter of time. I see no need to make it easier.

He's just getting used to things right now. We will start some formal stuff here in a couple weeks. I'm going to imprint him on Nosework odors hopefully tomorrow, if my helper is available. We're just setting foundation blocks that will support training.

Just fun. No pressure. It's ok to fail as long as you try. No hurry.

·
Super Moderator
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #133

·
Super Moderator
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #134

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
I thought he was doing great! I just noted that he seemed to be I guess not struggling but trying to figure the tires out. I know they are hard for me to climb on, lol. I just was having thoughts. He is such an impressive little man.

·
Super Moderator
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
I was going to say Winners’ Got A Winner, but that was a little too corny .... and easy.

Regardiess,

👍🏽
I feel like I hit the puppy lottery.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
The video of him calmly watching the kids playing supports what I would consider genetic obedience. He is just watching and checking things out and not reacting. He instinctively seems to know what his turf and role is. My guess is that my pup at that age would have charged across the street and be very animated. Based on that snapshot, it would seem your pup would likely excel at focused tasks rather than precision sport, while any protection training could likely be successful if more PP oriented. Very nice pup. It goes back to the saying the dog is good but good for what?

121 - 140 of 147 Posts