German Shepherds Forum banner

101 - 120 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I edited my post above but I would like to clarify some things here for others that may be getting a new puppy and reading this.

This is not driven by goals or some checklist. Every step along the way, Valor was monitored closely for stress or avoidance. Had I see any sign of either, we would have backed off immediately. This wasn't en exercise in forcing the puppy to accept things or situations. It was not flooding. If you can't accurately define and recognize stress in a puppy, have someone help you do these kinds of activities.

At no time did I have any expectation of how these adventures would go. I simply observed and recorded what Valor was showing me at the time. He was very happy to go along with everything. He got plenty of rest in between adventures. He got plenty of exercise before heading out to burn off that initial excitement after a nap.

The benefits of all these activities would have been immediately turned into liabilities had I forced Valor into accepting a situation in which he was uncomfortable. As in all training, let the dog in front of you dictate your strategy and goals. Challenge them with things in which they can succeed and have fun.
From Carmen

Carmspack says.....

“David, thank you very much. Valor is a bullseye right on target representing a 40yr dedicated plan for exactly that type of dog.
Your plan is exactly what I do, what I have tried to put across for people to understand. As seen in the Early Socialization thread and the genetic obedience thread. When I select and take a dog out, it is not to condition them, it’s not to flood or change behaviours, it is only to observe their natural nerve stability and judgement. Their boldness, a trait sorely missing in the breed. Only by observing what the dog is naturally, do you know what you have genetically, which will be passed on through generations when these things are considered also from the breeding partner. No trait is masked by conditioning. As Valor matures and you give him more opportunities, you will come to understand what I have meant by genetic obedience. Oh, and by the way, how is his structure?.......Not bad eh!!“

·
Registered
6,518 Posts
From Carmen

Carmspack says.....

“David, thank you very much. Valor is a bullseye right on target representing a 40yr dedicated plan for exactly that type of dog.
Your plan is exactly what I do, what I have tried to put across for people to understand. As seen in the Early Socialization thread and the genetic obedience thread. When I select and take a dog out, it is not to condition them, it’s not to flood or change behaviours, it is only to observe their natural nerve stability and judgement. Their boldness, a trait sorely missing in the breed. Only by observing what the dog is naturally, do you know what you have genetically, which will be passed on through generations when these things are considered also from the breeding partner. No trait is masked by conditioning. As Valor matures and you give him more opportunities, you will come to understand what I have meant by genetic obedience. Oh, and by the way, how is his structure?.......Not bad eh!!“
This should be posted in the Perlich thread too. I always raise a pup with an eye for what a pup brings to the table, what will pass on genetically, not what I can accomplish with smoke and mirrors.

·
Super Moderator
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
From Carmen

Carmspack says.....

Thank you so much for such an amazing animal Carmen. Your hard work and dedication is not lost on me.

I didn't comment on structure because I am no expert in this area. He is moving extremely well. He has a lot of bone. Front legs and feet are large. He is very sturdy. He's been stepped on, bowled over, corrected by humans and dogs, fallen off the bed, slid off a moving Merry go round... Nothing more than a slight yelp and shake it off. He is very athletic.

He is becoming well muscled already. He's an easy keeper. He self regulates. He will share a bowl with another dog, kid, me, whatever.

He's beautiful and perfect.

·
Super Moderator
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
This should be posted in the Perlich thread too. I always raise a pup with an eye for what a pup brings to the table, what will pass on genetically, not what I can accomplish with smoke and mirrors.
It's a heck of a lot easier to get the dog that naturally does what you want instead of trying to change the dog. If it ain't broke, there's no need for fixin'

·
Registered
6,518 Posts
It's a heck of a lot easier to get the dog that naturally does what you want instead of trying to change the dog. If it ain't broke, there's no need for fixin'
I actually like a lot of what I have in these dogs now but I have no need for misdirected prey drive even though I always take a pass on the highest prey drive pups in a litter. I believe that by looking for a more appropriately focused prey drive like I see in the little Heeler will have huge benefits for me but I fear that I will be trading off a lot of other qualities. Then again I will be older when I make that decision and maybe the traits I love now just won't be suited to my lifestyle in the future.

·
Super Moderator
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
I actually like a lot of what I have in these dogs now but I have no need for misdirected prey drive even though I always take a pass on the highest prey drive pups in a litter. I believe that by looking for a more appropriately focused prey drive like I see in the little Heeler will have huge benefits for me but I fear that I will be trading off a lot of other qualities. Then again I will be older when I make that decision and maybe the traits I love now just won't be suited to my lifestyle in the future.
Knowing what you ACTUALLY want is half the battle LOL

·
Registered
7,606 Posts
A very cute pup! Having Max and Luna as pups in the middle of winter it was all about hibernating and occasional aspirations to be sled pups as the ground was often covered in ice and snow lol! The summer time is the best time to have a pup so much fun to have. Enjoy him!

·
Super Moderator
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
From another thread, but I think it is applicable here. We were speaking about off leash training.
I've been thinking ahead and I have an idea for training leash pressure without aversives. I'm a prong collar trainer for leash work, a la Tyler Muto, and I think I can convey the same message on a flat collar using +R and -P once he is tugging really well.

We are working on his mechanics now, doing hind end movement on a perch, tuck sits, kick back stands, rear folding down, engagement, short retrieve sessions (3-4 reps), a little rag work and wrestling.

All easy going. Light work. Short sessions then free play. It's cool how 5 fun reps can sink in. The next session shows how much he retained. Overnight is even more dramatic.

·
Super Moderator
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
Would love to see videos of these sessions, if you have time.
I have to get into the habit of just taking the camera with me. I don't walk out the door planning on a session. It depends on how Valor is acting once we got out there. If he's focusing on his nose and chasing down bugs, then we just do some laps around the house and reward recalls and stuff. If he's focused on me and wanting to interact, then we will do some food work.

·
Super Moderator
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
Ok. I got video of a positions session. I stepped on his tail half way through and he persevered.

Comments welcome!

·
Super Moderator
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
I need to adjust my down lure position. He's coming forward on the down. I love watching myself on video. I see my mistakes lol.

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
I cannot believe how quickly he is growing! I think more people should watch these videos just to show what training a young pup should look like.
I love his willingness and watching him work stuff out so he does it right for you.
And stop stepping on his tail you big meanie!

·
Registered
6,518 Posts
By the time you get through with him, he's going to look like a beaver if things don't change. 😁

·
Super Moderator
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
101 - 120 of 147 Posts