German Shepherds Forum banner
661 - 680 of 693 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #661 ·
Man, he is a real handsome pup. You can see the focus he has just through this small clip. Beautiful dog!
He is very handler centric. And thank you! I think he is quite the handsome boy. He looks like his daddy.

·
Super Moderator
5,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #662 ·
Reactions: Bearshandler

·
Super Moderator
5,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #664 ·

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
My dogs LOVE the boat, any boat. Pontoon boat, ski boat, Zodiac, paddle board, canoe and tried to climb into a kayak with me ..... that one was a hard no.

Valor looks pretty relaxed to me there except trying to get away from that bad music :ROFLMAO:

·
Super Moderator
5,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #668 ·
I went to the Carmspack website and saw no working titles on any of them, I also didn't see a family tree with any dogs who have worked. Why isn't that information on the website?
When I have time, I'll move your posts to another thread.

Carmen has bred working dogs for 40 years. I'm a long time working dog trainer. Let's just say that I have trained enough dogs to know what I want in a dog.

·
Registered
8,260 Posts
When I have time, I'll move your posts to another thread.

Carmen has bred working dogs for 40 years. I'm a long time working dog trainer. Let's just say that I have trained enough dogs to know what I want in a dog.
I already started that thread.

Valor is a good boat dog. He is looking all handsome laying there. Hopefully his baby sister will be as comfortable, since she will be sailing with me!

·
Super Moderator
5,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #670 ·
Valor and Max on gotcha day.

·
Registered
10,737 Posts
Wow, this seems like yesterday, I can’t believe it already has been a year!
I remember how Valor was not available, and then, all of a sudden, he was. All of the stars aligned correctly, and I was so overjoyed to see you get him, David.
Enjoy, I believe he was meant to be yours.

Max and me. 🤣🤣

·
Super Moderator
5,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #674 ·
Nerd update.

Valor is 14-1/2 months now, and this weekend inspired me to write an update.

We went camping with 2 of the grandkids for a week. It rained the whole time. Lots of quality time in the lake and the mud. Valor was off leash 90% of the time with just an e-collar for safety. I think I stimmed him 3 times when he broke a down because a strange dog came into our campsite. He took turns sleeping by each grandkid for a while and then rotating. He is very at ease in almost all situations. He does well on a tie out, even when he is separated from me by some distance. Settles well in the camper. Settles well in the truck when setting up and loading out. Sleeps while we are on the road.

The same day we got back, he kids went on vacation for a few days so we watched their Rough Collie puppy, male 4 months, pretty much no training but he is an easy dog. Valor and Ollie have met a few times so I wasn't concerned at all. It has been raining buckets here for a week now and everything is flooded and soggy. I took the pup and the nerd out to adventure a couple times. It was very interesting how different Valor plays with a soft puppy, compared to his behavior with his big brother Cane Corso.

Ollie was timid at first as he has never been outside his back yard with the exception of an occasional on leash walk around their neighborhood. I know. He's my kid and I expect more but they have 2 babies under 2 and in diapers and he works 60 hours a week. I tried to talk them out of getting a dog, but alas, humans are harder to train than dogs. Valor was very easy on Ollie, running by him trying to get him to play, instead of rolling him around like a tackling dummy. It wasn't long before Ollie was along for the adventure with ears up, tail wagging and a smile on his really, really long face. Valor would readily share toys with Ollie and slow down when playing chase so Ollie could catch him.

Ollie woke up having to pee at 3am, so I took him out in the dog yard and came back inside. Valor then decided that he was going to teach Ollie how to use the double flap dog door to get back in. I didn't intervene in any way. I just observed. Ollie would whine over by the man door, trying to get someone to let him in. Valor would go out the dog door, go over to Ollie and then come back in through the dog door, turning around and sticking his head out to check and see if Ollie was coming. This went on for 10 minutes until Ollie finally came in. When Ollie was close to the dog door, Valor would just stick his nose out and then pull it back. When he went further away, Valor would go all the way out and lead him back through the dog door.

Last night, we attended a birthday party for my niece who is visiting from the PNW. My cousin owns a winery that is closed on Sundays, so she hosted the family get together. There were 30 people in attendance, ages baby through really old. It was a fun affair with lots of attention on Valor at times. The little kids were playing with him whenever he would give in to their plies. The winery is downtown on a reasonably busy (for a small town) street. We parked a couple blocks away and walked off leash to the winery. Several people stopped me to ask about Valor. He was ranging about 10 feet in front of me, sniffing things out. Whenever I would stop to talk, he would just lay down, focus on me, and wait for me to move again. No commands, just habits.

He was fantastic at the party. He had only met a couple of the people there, and that was when he was a little pup. He was at ease with everyone, not begging for attention at all but not uncomfortable when someone wanted to give him some loving. Lots of little kids in his face. There were 4 rooms on the first floor that he readily explored with the kids. He would bring appropriate toys to them to play. They have a dog that comes to work with them, but she wasn't there for the party. Valor managed to identify the dog toys and left everything else alone. He didn't bother anyone while we were eating and held a down stay in a spot where a few people had to step over him a couple times. His excitement level was never inappropriate. We went upstairs, which is a large, empty room under construction, and played some fetch. He cranked it up to 11 for a few minutes, leaping up onto scaffolding and such. When we went back down to the party, he chilled right out again.

I am impressed with his nerves, his discernment for the given situation, his understanding of appropriate behavior, his desire to work with me, his intelligence and his kindness. He can go from 0-100-0 without frustration or leaking. He puts up with kids and puppies and enjoys their company most of the time. When the kids get out of hand, he just comes to me and lays down for a break. He is social and aloof. He is comfortable with strangers of all types but rarely seeks them out asking for attention, unless it's a woman making oggie boogie noises while squatting down. He is very comfortable in new situations and places, taking everything in stride, looking to me for guidance.

He is built like a tank. Big feet. Big bones. Big head. Moves very well. He is quick and fast and has impressive ups. He hasn't had the slightest of injuries or medical issues other than the occasional scrape or cut from playing rough with other dogs or running through thorns. I regularly break all the "modern" rules of puppy raising. He runs too much, jumps too high, plays too long in the heat, carries things in his mouth, goes to the dog park when the other dogs are of appropriate temperament, sleeps in bed with me, gets on all the furniture, jumps up on me to say hi and sometimes to get me to throw the toy, is never crated and is rarely on a leash.

I got a great dog and I put in the work. I think we are a fantastic team and I look forward to what the future holds with this nerd. I have been slacking on Nosework training as I want to make some videos showing his TFR training and I need a camera man to accomplish this, and I'm a procrastinator :) He is task training well. He will pick anything up off the floor and hand it to me. He looks forward to Monday laundry time as he gets the opportunity to retrieve dropped socks for treats. He is learning sit pretty and stand pretty which will eventually become licking my face to help with PTSD. I am training it in steps because I think that if I go straight to kisses from the floor, it will be a fly by kind of maneuver.

TL;DR - he's a great dog.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Nerd update.

Valor is 14-1/2 months now, and this weekend inspired me to write an update.

We went camping with 2 of the grandkids for a week. It rained the whole time. Lots of quality time in the lake and the mud. Valor was off leash 90% of the time with just an e-collar for safety. I think I stimmed him 3 times when he broke a down because a strange dog came into our campsite. He took turns sleeping by each grandkid for a while and then rotating. He is very at ease in almost all situations. He does well on a tie out, even when he is separated from me by some distance. Settles well in the camper. Settles well in the truck when setting up and loading out. Sleeps while we are on the road.

The same day we got back, he kids went on vacation for a few days so we watched their Rough Collie puppy, male 4 months, pretty much no training but he is an easy dog. Valor and Ollie have met a few times so I wasn't concerned at all. It has been raining buckets here for a week now and everything is flooded and soggy. I took the pup and the nerd out to adventure a couple times. It was very interesting how different Valor plays with a soft puppy, compared to his behavior with his big brother Cane Corso.

Ollie was timid at first as he has never been outside his back yard with the exception of an occasional on leash walk around their neighborhood. I know. He's my kid and I expect more but they have 2 babies under 2 and in diapers and he works 60 hours a week. I tried to talk them out of getting a dog, but alas, humans are harder to train than dogs. Valor was very easy on Ollie, running by him trying to get him to play, instead of rolling him around like a tackling dummy. It wasn't long before Ollie was along for the adventure with ears up, tail wagging and a smile on his really, really long face. Valor would readily share toys with Ollie and slow down when playing chase so Ollie could catch him.

Ollie woke up having to pee at 3am, so I took him out in the dog yard and came back inside. Valor then decided that he was going to teach Ollie how to use the double flap dog door to get back in. I didn't intervene in any way. I just observed. Ollie would whine over by the man door, trying to get someone to let him in. Valor would go out the dog door, go over to Ollie and then come back in through the dog door, turning around and sticking his head out to check and see if Ollie was coming. This went on for 10 minutes until Ollie finally came in. When Ollie was close to the dog door, Valor would just stick his nose out and then pull it back. When he went further away, Valor would go all the way out and lead him back through the dog door.

Last night, we attended a birthday party for my niece who is visiting from the PNW. My cousin owns a winery that is closed on Sundays, so she hosted the family get together. There were 30 people in attendance, ages baby through really old. It was a fun affair with lots of attention on Valor at times. The little kids were playing with him whenever he would give in to their plies. The winery is downtown on a reasonably busy (for a small town) street. We parked a couple blocks away and walked off leash to the winery. Several people stopped me to ask about Valor. He was ranging about 10 feet in front of me, sniffing things out. Whenever I would stop to talk, he would just lay down, focus on me, and wait for me to move again. No commands, just habits.

He was fantastic at the party. He had only met a couple of the people there, and that was when he was a little pup. He was at ease with everyone, not begging for attention at all but not uncomfortable when someone wanted to give him some loving. Lots of little kids in his face. There were 4 rooms on the first floor that he readily explored with the kids. He would bring appropriate toys to them to play. They have a dog that comes to work with them, but she wasn't there for the party. Valor managed to identify the dog toys and left everything else alone. He didn't bother anyone while we were eating and held a down stay in a spot where a few people had to step over him a couple times. His excitement level was never inappropriate. We went upstairs, which is a large, empty room under construction, and played some fetch. He cranked it up to 11 for a few minutes, leaping up onto scaffolding and such. When we went back down to the party, he chilled right out again.

I am impressed with his nerves, his discernment for the given situation, his understanding of appropriate behavior, his desire to work with me, his intelligence and his kindness. He can go from 0-100-0 without frustration or leaking. He puts up with kids and puppies and enjoys their company most of the time. When the kids get out of hand, he just comes to me and lays down for a break. He is social and aloof. He is comfortable with strangers of all types but rarely seeks them out asking for attention, unless it's a woman making oggie boogie noises while squatting down. He is very comfortable in new situations and places, taking everything in stride, looking to me for guidance.

He is built like a tank. Big feet. Big bones. Big head. Moves very well. He is quick and fast and has impressive ups. He hasn't had the slightest of injuries or medical issues other than the occasional scrape or cut from playing rough with other dogs or running through thorns. I regularly break all the "modern" rules of puppy raising. He runs too much, jumps too high, plays too long in the heat, carries things in his mouth, goes to the dog park when the other dogs are of appropriate temperament, sleeps in bed with me, gets on all the furniture, jumps up on me to say hi and sometimes to get me to throw the toy, is never crated and is rarely on a leash.

I got a great dog and I put in the work. I think we are a fantastic team and I look forward to what the future holds with this nerd. I have been slacking on Nosework training as I want to make some videos showing his TFR training and I need a camera man to accomplish this, and I'm a procrastinator :) He is task training well. He will pick anything up off the floor and hand it to me. He looks forward to Monday laundry time as he gets the opportunity to retrieve dropped socks for treats. He is learning sit pretty and stand pretty which will eventually become licking my face to help with PTSD. I am training it in steps because I think that if I go straight to kisses from the floor, it will be a fly by kind of maneuver.

TL;DR - he's a great dog.
One of the reasons I chose German shepherds over malinois is I wanted a dog who go anywhere,function in any environment, and handle any changes in lifestyle at a moments notice. I love hearing about valor living in a similar fashion. You guys certainly make a great team.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #677 ·
Reactions: Bearshandler

·
Super Moderator
5,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #679 ·
I love reading your updates! This dog of yours is my dream, exactly what I want.
You and Valor are an amazing team.
I'm right there with ya

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Come over to Carey, Ohio and I'll film. 🙂

661 - 680 of 693 Posts