German Shepherds Forum banner

561 - 580 of 614 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #561 ·
Here are a couple from PDB. I'm not sure of here age here, but you might be able to figure it out from PDB. There are a couple more pics on there:

BTW, Valor is looking super! 💪
Thanks!

And thanks :)

Reactions: Jen84

·
Registered
153 Posts
@David Winners In that video on the early pages of the thread walking near the pond and the muddy section, how old was Valor? Only asking because I take my older dog hiking in everything daily, and just began taking my 11 week old on short hikes in snow which is all we have now. Even without being fully vaccinated yet, I feel keeping them all locked up until fully vaccinated at 16 weeks is too much missed opportunities for exposure. At least for my lifestyle, the exposure reward outweighs the risk of getting sick.

·
Super Moderator
5,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #563 ·
@David Winners In that video on the early pages of the thread walking near the pond and the muddy section, how old was Valor? Only asking because I take my older dog hiking in everything daily, and just began taking my 11 week old on short hikes in snow which is all we have now. Even without being fully vaccinated yet, I feel keeping them all locked up until fully vaccinated at 16 weeks is too much missed opportunities for exposure. At least for my lifestyle, the exposure reward outweighs the risk of getting sick.
Check the date. He was born April 30. Came home at 9 weeks. I'm not sure to which video you refer.

I don't wait until 16 weeks to get a puppy out. That's about when the early socialization period ends. I take them to places where few dogs go to reduce risk. I believe that early environmental socialization is critical. I also believe that early recall and fetch training is critical.

The risk vs reward decision is very individual and depends greatly on the Parvo risk in your area.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Check the date. He was born April 30. Came home at 9 weeks. I'm not sure to which video you refer.

I don't wait until 16 weeks to get a puppy out. That's about when the early socialization period ends. I take them to places where few dogs go to reduce risk. I believe that early environmental socialization is critical. I also believe that early recall and fetch training is critical.

The risk vs reward decision is very individual and depends greatly on the Parvo risk in your area.
I was referring to the videos on page 4. The date shows 2018 on the video

I was referring to the videos on page 4. I think the date shows 2018 thats why asked how old the puppy was.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I remember reading Valor is dog neutral. When he was a young puppy under 16 weeks, and either on or off leash, how did you address it if he showed high desire to greet another dog in the distance?
I never exposed my older dogs to this situation until they were much older and already understood leash pressure and manners. I have not taught my 12 week old leash manner yet, and today decided for the first time to put on a flexi lead and go people watching. There was a Husky far way which he was insisting in running to and began getting frustrated when i did not let him, so I just picked him up and removed him from the situation. Based on close up greetings with a few dogs in the last few days he seems dog neutral and I definitely do not want to create leash frustration or reactivity. I do not make corrections at all yet because he does not know the word No and I will not correct for anything this early in our relationship anyway.

·
Super Moderator
5,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #570 ·
I was referring to the videos on page 4. The date shows 2018 on the video

I was referring to the videos on page 4. I think the date shows 2018 thats why asked how old the puppy was.
The title of each video has the date in it. He was born April 30 2020.

Reactions: Roscoe618

·
Super Moderator
5,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #571 ·
I remember reading Valor is dog neutral. When he was a young puppy under 16 weeks, and either on or off leash, how did you address it if he showed high desire to greet another dog in the distance?
I never exposed my older dogs to this situation until they were much older and already understood leash pressure and manners. I have not taught my 12 week old leash manner yet, and today decided for the first time to put on a flexi lead and go people watching. There was a Husky far way which he was insisting in running to and began getting frustrated when i did not let him, so I just picked him up and removed him from the situation. Based on close up greetings with a few dogs in the last few days he seems dog neutral and I definitely do not want to create leash frustration or reactivity. I do not make corrections at all yet because he does not know the word No and I will not correct for anything this early in our relationship anyway.
It depends on your other training. With Valor specifically, I only ever needed to recall him and move on. He never showed high desire to go after another dog. From very early on, he would recall away from another dog in mid play fight. I think you made a good call by picking him up if he was on a flat collar. I use a harness on puppies so I can pull them along on the leash without putting pressure on their neck and/or letting them practice leash pulling.

Reactions: Roscoe618

·
Super Moderator
5,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #572 ·
Hanging with crazy dog lady at the bar.

In all honesty, she's a sweetheart, and former employee of mine. She has a heart of gold and is one of my favorite humans. Valor likes her a lot too :)

·
Super Moderator
5,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #574 ·
I love it! But I thought I was the crazy dog lady?

Your boy is looking pretty growed up!
I think Suzanne could give you a run for your money :)

He's definitely getting that Gus head. I'm very happy with that.

He's at that fun stage where puppy meets adult. I truly enjoy raising puppies into dogs. This stage is particularly interesting as they figure things out.

He is still crazy athletic. At 15°F I'm not sure I could actually wear him out. I had him jumping up and down off a dumpster tonight. He just floats up there.

Super fun dog. I love this nerd.

·
Super Moderator
5,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #577 ·
10 months.

He was helping me at work. We made this together. He picked the colors.

561 - 580 of 614 Posts