German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 40 of 148 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Super long, in depth opinion on this boy coming up. I'm very impressed.

Reactions: Saphire and dogma13

·
Registered
6,534 Posts
Reactions: David Winners

·
Registered
9,584 Posts
Congratulations, David, enjoy him!
Valor will be 10 weeks on Friday and those ears are up! Already an overachiever!!

·
Super Moderator
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
You're prejudiced already! Lol

What's the name?
Valor is his name, and I'm not so sure I'm prejudiced :)

He's got the biddable nature of a field lab with me, but is serious. He's aloof with strangers but friendly when approached. I walked through the hardware store with him on leash. He just came along at my side. No treats. No toys. No talking. Sat when I stopped. Laid down when I stayed stopped. Got up and moved along when I moved. Spent an entire busy day with me. Not one issue. I've had him for 31 hours and have done no shaping or luring or anything. Just spent time together doing daily stuff.

·
Registered
6,534 Posts
Valor is his name, and I'm not so sure I'm prejudiced :)

He's got the biddable nature of a field lab with me, but is serious. He's aloof with strangers but friendly when approached. I walked through the hardware store with him on leash. He just came along at my side. No treats. No toys. No talking. Sat when I stopped. Laid down when I stayed stopped. Got up and moved along when I moved. Spent an entire busy day with me. Not one issue. I've had him for 31 hours and have done no shaping or luring or anything. Just spent time together doing daily stuff.
He doesn't sound challenging enough for you. You send him to me and I will send the Mals to you for awhile. ;)

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
If you are interested in doing PSA, I will tell you there is a lot of bad training out there. A main problem is clubs training for the short run and not considering how doing so will cause problems at the higher levels. The sport requires a lot of control and like other protection sports, it is being made softer with poorer training of decoys who can’t catch a dog or be creative in trying to fail your dog, which used to be part of the challenge of the sport.

·
Super Moderator
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
If you are interested in doing PSA, I will tell you there is a lot of bad training out there. A main problem is clubs training for the short run and not considering how doing so will cause problems at the higher levels. The sport requires a lot of control and like other protection sports, it is being made softer with poorer training of decoys who can’t catch a dog or be creative in trying to fail your dog, which used to be part of the challenge of the sport.
Thank you Chip. I will be really selective if I get into PSA with him. I am friends with couple legit decoys that work in clubs around here.

Reactions: Saphire

·
Super Moderator
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Reactions: sitstay

·
Super Moderator
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
He doesn't sound challenging enough for you. You send him to me and I will send the Mals to you for awhile. ;)
Hahaha... I thought about a mal for about 10 minutes, but the wife couldn't deal. Honestly, it was vanity driving the thought. They are flashy! I then thought about what I really want to do with this dog and it made sense to get a GSD. Then I found out I could get a Carmspack puppy out of Gus and there was no looking back.

Reactions: Saphire

·
Registered
6,534 Posts
Hahaha... I thought about a mal for about 10 minutes, but the wife couldn't deal. Honestly, it was vanity driving the thought. They are flashy! I then thought about what I really want to do with this dog and it made sense to get a GSD. Then I found out I could get a Carmspack puppy out of Gus and there was no looking back.
I thought the Mals would be more difficult but they are quite biddable, especially the female.

·
Super Moderator
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I thought the Mals would be more difficult but they are quite biddable, especially the female.
Oh they are easy to train. Usually pretty soft unless in drive. They can just be challenging to live with.

·
Registered
6,534 Posts
Oh they are easy to train. Usually pretty soft unless in drive. They can just be challenging to live with.
That's what I am finding. Not what I expected at all.

Reactions: David Winners

·
Super Moderator
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
OK, I'm totally envious : ) What a serious look on that little face!
He is a serious dog for sure. He's not going to be flashy, but whatever he does, he means it.

·
Super Moderator
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
That's what I am finding. Not what I expected at all.
You can't really understand Mals until you train some. You watch videos of them in drive and you have an opinion, but that's not reality. Most of them are really sweet. Most of them have a small screw lose, meaning a particular quirk that isn't a show stopper but it's a challenge. If you are used to a pushy GSD, most Mals are easy if you accept their nuttiness.

Reactions: sitstay

·
Registered
6,534 Posts
You can't really understand Mals until you train some. You watch videos of them in drive and you have an opinion, but that's not reality. Most of them are really sweet. Most of them have a small screw lose, meaning a particular quirk that isn't a show stopper but it's a challenge. If you are used to a pushy GSD, most Mals are easy if you accept their nuttiness.
So far I am finding them easier but they are young yet and Covid-19 is putting a damper on getting them out there. But they both are sweet and comical.

Screenshot_20200708-220305_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200708-220220_Chrome.jpg

21 - 40 of 148 Posts