German Shepherds Forum banner

281 - 300 of 428 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #281
In a nutshell, this picture perfectly depicts the difference in personalities of these dogs. Valor is composed and focused. Still plenty of gas in the tank, but very compliant.

Captain, out of gas, checked out.

Back home, Valor is asleep, Captain is restless, constantly bugging Valor to play. I have to manage Captain much more.

Reactions: Saphire and chuckd

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Judging by their tongues hanging out, that must be a deceptively high rock pile. ;)

·
Super Moderator
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #284
Judging by their tongues hanging out, that must be a deceptively high rock pile. ;)
:)

The 416 acres of tall grass and woods may have something to do with it.

Reactions: Saphire and chuckd

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
I envy your wide open spaces! You guys run in to wildlife often?

·
Super Moderator
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #286
I envy your wide open spaces! You guys run in to wildlife often?
We spooked 3 deer today, but that doesn't happen often. They were a hundred yards away so no recall challenge for the dogs. Usually it's squirrels and birds.

Reactions: Saphire

·
Super Moderator
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #288
And in the truck, and the camper, and the SUV, and the garage...

Reactions: Saphire and WNGD

·
Super Moderator
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #289
Camping this week. Had a fantastic time. He will be 6 months tomorrow. Time flies!

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Just curious, but what is your preferred sleeping arrangement when camping? Does it change if you bring both dogs? Car-camping or hike-in?

Sorry for all the questions, but I've camped with dogs for almost 20 years but I always like to see what others do... always searching for a better way, you know...

·
Super Moderator
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #293
You’re having a dream “I just got my puppy” time. What great exposure and bonding time. He looks fantastic!
We're all about exposure and bonding. The campground was almost empty so we pretty much spent 4 days roaming around a state park off leash. I did get his favorite bumper hung up in a tree. He found it up there and was standing on a picnic table trying to get to it. It's 30 feet in the air.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I have camped with dogs many times and deep into the Fallbut have never taken them Winter camping. They love new landscapes and new adventures but you have to keep in mind that they often stay alert and sleep less especially in a tent in the night among the new smells and sounds and given them more rest/sleep time during the day than normal.

David did you get him in the sleeping bag?:D

·
Super Moderator
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #295
Just curious, but what is your preferred sleeping arrangement when camping? Does it change if you bring both dogs? Car-camping or hike-in?

Sorry for all the questions, but I've camped with dogs for almost 20 years but I always like to see what others do... always searching for a better way, you know...
We have a hybrid travel trailer with fold out beds on both ends. I sleep in one and the wife sleeps in the other. The dogs just sleep wherever they want to. Sometimes with us, sometimes on the other furniture or floor.

I have spent the night with a dog in most places imaginable. I'd say that my best piece of advice is have a tired dog and use your imagination.

·
Super Moderator
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #296
I have camped with dogs many times and deep into the Fallbut have never taken them Winter camping. They love new landscapes and new adventures but you have to keep in mind that they often stay alert and sleep less especially in a tent in the night among the new smells and sounds and given them more rest/sleep time during the day than normal.

David did you get him in the sleeping bag?:D
Hahaha... Still too warm for that! I used to do that with Fama in the winter. I have a mountaineering bag good down to 40° F. With her in the bag, it could be 5° and we were fine.

·
Registered
9,846 Posts
Holy Gus clone, Batman!
If someone had posted and told me that was Gus, I would’ve totally believed them.

·
Super Moderator
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #298
Holy Gus clone, Batman!
If someone had posted and told me that was Gus, I would’ve totally believed them.
Sapphire and I are always comparing puppy pictures. My wife has a hard time telling them apart :)

·
Super Moderator
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #300
He's got those crazy intense Gus eyes

281 - 300 of 428 Posts