German Shepherds Forum banner

261 - 280 of 303 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #261
Here's a half hour session at a local reservoir. Just a few OB commands, some fetch, a couple recalls.

I'm building duration and compliance under distraction here. Also always rewarding calm, attentive behavior. There are some mistakes but both dogs perform fairly well. Some good hunt drive displayed again by Valor. He gave up a bit on one hard find and I just took a couple steps and he went right back in and found the bumper.

We followed this up with a 2 mile walk around the reservoir. No commands were given during the walk.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Here's a half hour session at a local reservoir. Just a few OB commands, some fetch, a couple recalls.

I'm building duration and compliance under distraction here. Also always rewarding calm, attentive behavior. There are some mistakes but both dogs perform fairly well. Some good hunt drive displayed again by Valor. He gave up a bit on one hard find and I just took a couple steps and he went right back in and found the bumper.

We followed this up with a 2 mile walk around the reservoir. No commands were given during the walk.

Love the video. How did you get such a nice out from both of them?

·
Super Moderator
3,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #264
Love the video. How did you get such a nice out from both of them?
I teach a motivational out. The dog outs and the game continues. It was much easier with Valor than with Captain. He's extremely biddable. He's the kind of dog that makes a trainer look good :)

If you want a step by step, let me know and I'll type something out. It's nothing of my design. I start by waiting the dog out with a dead tug and build incrementally from there.

Reactions: chuckd

·
Registered
161 Posts
I teach a motivational out. The dog outs and the game continues. It was much easier with Valor than with Captain. He's extremely biddable. He's the kind of dog that makes a trainer look good :)

If you want a step by step, let me know and I'll type something out. It's nothing of my design. I start by waiting the dog out with a dead tug and build incrementally from there.
Yes please

·
Registered
9 Posts
He's a beautiful pup David! I love the work you're doing with him, really enjoyed the videos teaching him to respond to the leash. The calmness between you two is great too, you're calm working with him and he's a happy, focused calm in response to you. Not overexcited or overstimulated. Something I should keep in mind when working with my boy.

·
Super Moderator
3,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #267
So I was thinking about Valor and our relationship today. I owe Carmen and Sheena a phone call and I'm thinking about what I'm going to say. I have been waiting for something to pop up. An issue. A question.

I have lived with some great dogs. I had a field bred lab that knew 5 different football plays. Fama was an amazing animal that saved my life several timers. Lucian was so in tune with me I didn't need commands most of the time. He just lived life with me and helped out where he could when I needed it.

This dog, at 5-1/2 months old, is already like my right hand. He looks ahead, thinking about our next move. He gets to a fork in the road and waits to see which way we will go. He is truly a partner, in it together, wanting nothing more than to do whatever is next, together.

He is a brave dog, full of himself. Confident in every situation. A smile on his face when tackling a new challenge. He hunts like crazy, fights like a champ and sleeps like a baby.

He is a joy to live with. He is kind to my 16 year old mutt that is deaf and blind. He is gentle with my 1 year old grandson. He will flat out battle an adult German shepherd. He walks in every room like he owns it and treats everyone with respect. He goes when it's time to go and stops when it's time to stop.

He's all about us, and I couldn't ask for a better dog.

·
Registered
7,308 Posts
Sounds like you found what you were looking for! Good deal!

·
Super Moderator
3,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #269
Sounds like you found what you were looking for! Good deal!
That's all anyone can ask for :)

I'm excited to see him mature. I think he's going to be a handful for Tim to catch.

Reactions: Saphire

·
Registered
7,308 Posts
That's all anyone can ask for :)

I'm excited to see him mature. I think he's going to be a handful for Tim to catch.
We can count on you for video?

·
Super Moderator
3,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #272
We can count on you for video?
Absolutely! His big boy teeth are still coming in, but when they are finished, I'll start posting tug and flirt pole videos from home and the club.

·
Super Moderator
3,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #273
Beautiful!!!! I have to give a nod to the name. I have a Valor too :)
Thank you!!!

My wife named him. I'm terrible at naming dogs :)

·
Super Moderator
3,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #274
Quick recall video. I cross posted here to keep them all together. Feedback is always welcome!

Reactions: Saphire and dogma13

·
Registered
854 Posts
I’m terrible at naming dogs too. Most of mine would end up just being dog if I had to figure it out myself. As for the recall, I don’t see much difference between how you started yours and how I start mine. I do shape the finish from the beginning. With bear, I had to work in a little drive for his recall when he started training fit competition. That’s the story of pretty much everything with him.

·
Super Moderator
3,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #276
Training in the rain.

43 degrees and raining this morning. Embrace the suck and go have fun!

·
Registered
7,308 Posts

·
Registered
7,308 Posts
Eau de Wet Dogue! One of my favorites!

·
Premium Member
Gunnar Vom Langer Strand (gsd), Dynamic's Bogan Vom Langer Strand (boxer)
244 Posts
Looks like they had a productive day. Now please send some rain out west! :D

261 - 280 of 303 Posts