·
Super Moderator
3,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #241

·
Registered
7,308 Posts
Thanks!

Myrtle Beach :) The first big wave he encountered was pretty funny.
Beautiful place!

My dogs always like the big wakes the barges make on the river.

·
Super Moderator
3,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #243
He likes the big waves now. The first one was like, Holy Crap dad! The water jumped up and got me!

·
Registered
7,308 Posts
Adoreable!!! :love:

Reactions: David Winners

·
Super Moderator
3,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #247
Did some tall grass fetch today. He struggled in the second video but went a full 4minutes without giving up. I wish I had kept the video going. I took about 3 steps into the grass and he pushed out a little further and found it.

·
Super Moderator
3,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #251
Very nice hunt drive, perfect environment, and Premacking out, sit and down with the hunt.
I'm a big premack believer. Bites out of obedience. Down calmly and then flip into drive. I think it helps with capping and impulse control as long as you build into it and have good timing.

Reactions: chuckd

·
Premium Member
Gunnar Vom Langer Strand (gsd), Dynamic's Bogan Vom Langer Strand (boxer)
244 Posts
Chip & David,

Thank you both for using this principle in context. It's always fascinating to me whenever human behavioral habitation and learning concepts cross over to dog training.

·
Super Moderator
3,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #253
Chip & David,

Thank you both for using this principle in context. It's always fascinating to me whenever human behavioral habitation and learning concepts cross over to dog training.
We're all mammals. Many learning principles cross over, particularly with young children.

Reactions: MineAreWorkingline

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
He is showing great work ethic in that second vid. Were you walking behind him when you put the slight pressure on to get him to search further, or was he already out a ways?

It’s fun watching him grow up.

·
Super Moderator
3,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #256
He stopped next to me and looked up at me. As soon as I stepped towards the grass he jumped in front and pushed further into the grass ahead of me.

I think it's fun as well :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Like looking into a mirror! (a better behaved mirror lol). Reya's favorite command is "find it", she'll search in the woods until she tracks down whatever ball, stick or branch was thrown in there. Valor does a wonderful job of return! Something she hasn't quiet caught onto yet.. she enjoys playing keep away :cautious: and treats have no value while she's in hunt mode

Great job as always, love watching him progress!

·
Super Moderator
3,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #258
Like looking into a mirror! (a better behaved mirror lol). Reya's favorite command is "find it", she'll search in the woods until she tracks down whatever ball, stick or branch was thrown in there. Valor does a wonderful job of return! Something she hasn't quiet caught onto yet.. she enjoys playing keep away :cautious: and treats have no value while she's in hunt mode

Great job as always, love watching him progress!
I have strict rules to fetch. Bring it back is #1.

I would put a harness and long line on her and build the habit of returning the item. Check out Stonnie Dennis fetch videos.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
I would put a harness and long line on her and build the habit of returning the item
I told the kids this was called fishing for puppies! Lol.
I like Stonnies method. I taught multiple puppies to fetch in hallways. I would sit about 10 feet from the end and throw the ball gently. No where else for them to go, and I had the treats.

·
Super Moderator
3,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #260
I told the kids this was called fishing for puppies! Lol.
I like Stonnies method. I taught multiple puppies to fetch in hallways. I would sit about 10 feet from the end and throw the ball gently. No where else for them to go, and I had the treats.
Valor started out retrieving to me so I never did the hallway thing with him, but that's how I typically teach a retrieve. It's so much easier if they can't screw up.

Reactions: Sabis mom
241 - 260 of 303 Posts