German Shepherds Forum banner

221 - 240 of 303 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #223
You can easily see the quality of the breeding which comes from someone who has dedicated her life to the breed.
I'm really looking forward to seeing what he brings as he matures.

Reactions: Saphire

·
Super Moderator
3,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #225

·
Super Moderator
3,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #226
Morning adventure in the woods.

·
Super Moderator
3,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #229
Your dogs look bored, get out and do something with them :ROFLMAO:
But I'm only supposed to walk them for 20 minutes :p

·
Super Moderator
3,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #231
Just got home from a week on the road with the DW, Cane Corso and Valor. We camped at 4 different locations through WV, NC, SC and TN. This was a new experience for all of us.

Travel went incredibly well. We have a full sized SUV with a mattress in the back for the dogs. Several toys were available. We stopped every 3-4 hours to give dogs and humans a break and to stretch our legs. We have a spill proof bowl attached to the floor in the RV so giving water was easy. Open the door and let them in for a drink.

Dogs had free run of the RV. We didn't take any crates. They slept up in our beds with us. Everyone slept better than normal. We left them in the RV a couple times for a few hours to go to dinner. We have a camera in the RV so we could check in.

Valor and I went hiking every morning. I let him drag a long line in busy areas but let him off leash on trails and when playing in the water. I also let him drag a long line when we were setting up and tearing down.

He was in a harness to avoid pulling on his neck if he hit a snag. I always had a treat pouch and a ball on me to reward recalls, outs and to play fetch. Most of the time, we worked on engagement under distraction and staying in positions. Any time is training time. I didn't do any "formal" training sessions. I just randomly asked for behaviors as needed. I basically brought my dog along and did things that we both enjoy.

2 adventures that stand out:

We took both dogs to the boardwalk at Myrtle Beach. I didn't even try to keep Valor from pulling. I just hooked a 6' leash to his harness and let him explore as we walked. Hank, his big brother Cane Corso, always draws a crowd so Valor got to hang out and be around a lot of people. He only interacted with a few, mostly kids. He's fairly aloof so I'm not worried about him getting all golden retriever on me.

We also had a very successful visit to a huge dog park. Lots of great interaction with great dogs. Valor brought a shy DS out of her shell a bit and get some great practice meeting and ignoring other dogs.

I really love this dog and our relationship. At 5 months, he's a lot of work as it takes a lot to wear him out, but he's also learning some patience. He is crazy stable. He really just wants to do whatever I'm doing and ties to fit in. Getting to be with daddy is rewarding to him so that makes life really easy. I pay attention to him and his needs and try my best to set him up for success. If I'm going to be fixing dinner and I know he had been out lately, I'll take him out for a short hike or some fetch to burn off some energy so he can be successful at being chill for dinner.

More updates to follow. He's in the middle of teething. When he's got big boy teeth we will shoot some tug videos and some club work.

·
Registered
7,308 Posts
Sounds like all of you had a lot of fun. You are raising Valor almost exactly like I raise my dogs. He's going to be a trouble free puppy for you and a go anywhere adult.

It's so much easier with a pup that isn't interested in people and boy do pups focus on you when you do Adventure training. They don't want to miss a thing.

How do you like that spill proof bowl?

·
Super Moderator
3,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #233
My idea of raising a puppy is taking what they give you and going with it in a way that is beneficial. He wants to bite, we play tug. He wants to run, we fetch and recall. He wants to use his nose, we do Nosework. He wants to chill, we work on stay and house manners.

I manipulate his energy level to fit our schedule.

The more he understands, the more we can cross one type of behavior into another.

The better he gets at matching his excitement level to mine, the less I have to manipulate him through a schedule. He knows good stuff is coming. Sometimes you just have to wait and be good.

I like the bowl. It's a cheap one off Amazon and it won't last. I am going to replace it with a Ray Allen.

·
Registered
7,308 Posts
My idea of raising a puppy is taking what they give you and going with it in a way that is beneficial. He wants to bite, we play tug. He wants to run, we fetch and recall. He wants to use his nose, we do Nosework. He wants to chill, we work on stay and house manners.

I manipulate his energy level to fit our schedule.

The more he understands, the more we can cross one type of behavior into another.

The better he gets at matching his excitement level to mine, the less I have to manipulate him through a schedule. He knows good stuff is coming. Sometimes you just have to wait and be good.

I like the bowl. It's a cheap one off Amazon and it won't last. I am going to replace it with a Ray Allen.
"Energy level", Excitement" management, IMO, two critical points in raising a puppy. I would really like to see you talk more about these two things. Maybe another thread? I see energy and excitement as most puppy owners' downfalls and they don't know what they don't know and flounder. Such things as how it is used in rewarding puppies, how it affects training duration exercises or crisp obedience, leash pulling, etc.

·
Super Moderator
3,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #236
Pictures would make this update perfect. 🥰
I left my phone in the RV on a shelf for most of the trip. It was an unplugged adventure for the most part.

·
Super Moderator
3,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #237
"Energy level", Excitement" management, IMO, two critical points in raising a puppy. I would really like to see you talk more about these two things. Maybe another thread? I see energy and excitement as most puppy owners' downfalls and they don't know what they don't know and flounder. Such things as how it is used in rewarding puppies, how it affects training duration exercises or crisp obedience, leash pulling, etc.
I'll start a thread in the puppy training section.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Sounds like a GREAT time. Balanced dogs really can go everywhere.

Our dogs make the 3 hour trip to our cottage (lakehouse) 2-4 times per month for 5 months every year. They absolutely love travelling and love being in the SUV to the point where I can't leave it open in the driveway or they jump in and won't get back out. When my kids were little, I took the dog in the car to drop the kids off every morning for years and years and it was a daily highlight for her.

This, weekend, we're heading to the lake for Canadian Thanksgiving. They' be lots of hiking and sniffing for deer and bear tracks, exploring the woods, leaf color watching, spitting wood and campfires, a few adult beverages and a giant turkey/stuffing/veggies and pumpkin pie to look forward to. I might even share a little turkey with the dogs. Can't wait!

Harley and Rogan last week stuck in a traffic jam.

·
Registered
7,308 Posts
Great pics! Where is that first one?

221 - 240 of 303 Posts