·
Super Moderator
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #201

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
Me too!!!
Ugh! Never teach a dog to open a fridge, lol.

Dumb ex taught my Dane to fetch him beer. First issue was her discovery that she could crush the cans, nice mess that she thought was grand fun. Second issue was twofold, she learned she could take everything out of the fridge AND he did not teach her to close the fridge. Third issue was that she translated her fridge opening skills to everything, so the stove, the cupboards, the closets.
Danes are large dogs, their reach is quite interesting.

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
I am with you. Carmen who attended most of my training sessions with Gus said this over and over.........”STOP TALKING TO HIM!!!”
I still struggle with minimal talking and once you start trying to stop, you realize just how much you do it.
God. Ain’t that the truth???

Reactions: Saphire

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
Towards the end of our year in Afghanistan, there were days where I bet I said less than 10 words to Fama other than "go suk" (look for bombs).

Try it sometime. Think the words you would normally say but don't say them. Just act like you normally would. Move your head like you're talking, just don't speak.

It will probably surprise you ;)
I tried this experiment with Shadow. We fail. I have said nothing to her for three days. She thinks I am broken. On walks she keeps stopping and looking at me, sniffing me, jumping on me. At home she climbs on my lap, licks my face and stares at me while whining and barking.
We suck. I don't deserve another dog.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Poor Shadow...
After this much time of you constantly talking to her she thinks something is wrong.

I think if I talked to my girls all the time they would think something was wrong. I do tend to think our conversations. (Sometimes I wished that work as well with people, okay, a lot of times! 😏). Use physical cues more.

When my friend works Kiisa in nosework, he is constantly talking. We keep telling him he needs to give her a command and let her work. As long as she is working just let her be. She is more dependent on him for cues. (I do work with her at home and she is competitive with Miika so the only extra talking is usually to teach her a new command or praise.) When we work at home I can usually give her the command and let her work (once she realizes she is working, lol). But I think that when he tries not to talk she looks at him more.

·
Registered
9,845 Posts
I would like to get back to Valor.
What is this attitude you speak of, David? 😄

·
Super Moderator
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #207
Hahaha... Just a little push back and "the look" when asked to do something he may not want to do. He's starting to watch people with more intensity. Harder play with large dogs. Less backing down to them. More drive all around. All totally expected. All welcome really.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
I tried this experiment with Shadow. We fail. I have said nothing to her for three days. She thinks I am broken. On walks she keeps stopping and looking at me, sniffing me, jumping on me. At home she climbs on my lap, licks my face and stares at me while whining and barking.
You are being to hard on yourself. Much about our dogs depends on the dog itself. I don’t know Shadow’s background but my thoughts are, a sound dog is a sound dog. Gus simply tunes me out when I’m babbling too much. I have no doubt he had to learn to tune me out so he could focus on the task at hand but, that is the dog he is. Shadow may just be a different dog.
From your posts, nothing I’ve read has ever struck me as you not deserving another dog.
We learn from each dog and that is what makes us better handlers. Believe me when I say I’ve done more wrong with Gus than right. I’m thankful he is of forgiving nature and that I’m able to look back now and see so many things I could have managed and worked so much better.

·
Super Moderator
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #209
It's just a sudden change in you that she doesn't understand. That doesn't say anything about your ownership. I think a pup would be lucky to have you.

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
It's just a sudden change in you that she doesn't understand. That doesn't say anything about your ownership. I think a pup would be lucky to have you.
I always said if I ever got a normal dog it would probably hate me. Lol.

Valor is growing into quite the little man. He is going to be a stunning dog. I love those ones with that bit of attitude, just a bit of push back. That look that tells you that they are humoring you. I love that intensity in his eyes, that 100% focus on you.

·
Super Moderator
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #211
Ok, so I had a busy and hectic day. No engagement video. We didn't have any adventures today. He went everywhere with me and hung out at my restaurant (closed) while we took care of some things.

I decided to get some video of his engagement in the front yard. I haven't taught a focused heel. Nor have a taught a watch command. I have rewarded eye contact quite a bit.

·
Registered
7,411 Posts

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
And he is maturing quite nicely. How old is he now?

·
Super Moderator
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #219
Reactions: Jorski and Saphire

·
Super Moderator
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #220
4-1/2 months already!

We visited a friend last night. He's got an 18 month old female German Wired Haired Pointer, Remy. She's nervy and had only been around 1 other dog, a nasty ankle biter that freaked her out.

Valor was excited getting out of the truck, and Remy was very nervous. Avoidance like crazy. I just let Valor calm down and within 5 minutes, Remy started throwing some play signs. I let Valor off the leash and he was great with Remy. Lots of calming signals. He got her to chase him.

It only took a few minutes for her to relax and trust him. Then it was game on. They had a blast running around the barn, taking turns chasing each other. Valor got her into the pond for the first time. Its was such a cool thing to see her settle and really play.

We will make this a regular stop on our adventure circuit.

No pics of the play date, but here is a pic this morning taken at a local reservoir.

201 - 220 of 412 Posts