German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Please accept my sincere condolences. Lost my 1st in 1992 because I was a kid and didn’t know what’s happening and neither are the vets that we called right away! So stupid. 2nd time- lesson learned. Was all right after the surgery. There was a major pain with the emergency room and the surgery was almost 6k because and they were a bit concerned about her heart but at 7+ she recovered nicely.

·
Registered
27 Posts
So terribly sorry for you loss. We lost our girl to the exact same circumstances. My heart felt sympathy.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
I’m so sorry for your loss. I lost my last dog the same way and it brings back a lot of painful memories. We lost him in the car on the drive over. It was the worst night. When it’s not so raw, think about all the good times. I dealt with our pain a little by getting a puppy a few months later, as my other dog was pining for him.

·
Super Moderator
5,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I’ve been taking Scarlet to work with me since I lost Carly. It’s been hard on both of us. One of my customers is a vet, and she brought her sheltie in yesterday to be groomed. I told her about Carly and the bloat. She saw Carly grow up at our shop, and was horrified that we went through that. It’s been a week today. I have her ashes back, and got a card in the mail from the emergency vet clinic. They took nose and paw prints from Carly and put them in the card. It was sweet and unexpected.

·
Super Moderator
5,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I dealt with our pain a little by getting a puppy a few months later, as my other dog was pining for him.
I know of a really nice 3 year old male. Has his AKC championship, a rally novice title, CGC, novice trick dog title, temperament test certificate from the GSDCA, good with kids and farm animals. OFA fair, DM clear. Recently neutered. If I wanted another dog right now, I’d be very very tempted. Scarlet hung out with him at a dog show once. He’s a nice boy. But too soon for me.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I know of a really nice 3 year old male. Has his AKC championship, a rally novice title, CGC, novice trick dog title, temperament test certificate from the GSDCA, good with kids and farm animals. OFA fair, DM clear. Recently neutered. If I wanted another dog right now, I’d be very very tempted. Scarlet hung out with him at a dog show once. He’s a nice boy. But too soon for me.
Take your time and do what is right for you. Everyone deals with the loss of a beloved pet differently. No right or wrong answer. We all understand your loss and pain. Hugs to you and Scarlet.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
I know how you feel. You should wait until you are ready. I was not planning to rush into getting a puppy but my older dog was grieving and I was very worried about her. I brought home a puppy and she had a new purpose.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts