German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Wow. I’m really sorry this happened. Along with all the other concerns; concussion etc, how did your shoulder hold up. I hope you get yourself checked out and am glad that it wasn’t worse. Heal well and fast.

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I'm doing ok. I am much more bruised then I originally thought. The one cut, left hand, is being a bit slow to heal and wandering toward infection. I have gotten so used to protecting my right shoulder that I probably made the fall worse by not catching myself. Discovered bruising on my jaw, so obviously my face hit something. Thinking clearer today. I can't find a bump on my head, but my hair hurts. Lol. Some one might understand that, I am aware it makes no sense but it's not the first time I have had it happen. Luckily I have a head like a rock.
Appreciate being checked on though. Thank you

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I'm doing ok. I am much more bruised then I originally thought. The one cut, left hand, is being a bit slow to heal and wandering toward infection. I have gotten so used to protecting my right shoulder that I probably made the fall worse by not catching myself. Discovered bruising on my jaw, so obviously my face hit something. Thinking clearer today. I can't find a bump on my head, but my hair hurts. Lol. Some one might understand that, I am aware it makes no sense but it's not the first time I have had it happen. Luckily I have a head like a rock.
Appreciate being checked on though. Thank you
I know exactly what you mean by your hair hurting. Haven't felt it in a long time but when I did it was almost always associated with a migraine coming. It is a strange sensation.
Do take care of and keep a close eye on that cut. No infections allowed...
I think you're a bit nuts for not getting a full exam by a doctor but understanding your strong willed, stubborn, independent nature I'm not surprised by your choice of action. Another chapter in the book of the 'Diary of a Crazy Woman" :);)
Rest, heal and be kind to your sore body for a few days.

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I have all his info, a police report was filed. Unless it s a real emergency I cannot go to a dr, I never switched my healthcare over so I have no coverage.
Hand is getting soaked in salt water twice a day, I drink sage tea which is an antioxidant and detoxifier so that should help and while at work I keep it wrapped with gauze so it can still breathe but is protected. Brain fuzzies are nearly gone, tea should help that as well and bruises are getting a salve made from arnica. I'm a klutz, I hurt myself a lot. Took my very first first aid course so I could learn to patch myself up, lol.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I have all his info, a police report was filed. Unless it s a real emergency I cannot go to a dr, I never switched my healthcare over so I have no coverage.
Hand is getting soaked in salt water twice a day, I drink sage tea which is an antioxidant and detoxifier so that should help and while at work I keep it wrapped with gauze so it can still breathe but is protected. Brain fuzzies are nearly gone, tea should help that as well and bruises are getting a salve made from arnica. I'm a klutz, I hurt myself a lot. Took my very first first aid course so I could learn to patch myself up, lol.
So sorry, yes, you should go in. Brain fuzzies would have gotten you whisked through emergency and checked out. Broke my shoulder last year, it 'merely hurt', what did I know. I got steam-rolled past all the people in the waiting room. Thank you for the update, I was thinking of you. My husband got a concussion one year from slipping on ice (walking the dog) and 'just didn't feel quite right' and finally went to the doctor who diagnosed concussion (my husband hadn't even thought of that, only the doctor's question had him remember the fall). But, really, there was nothing to do but wait for it to get better. Take care.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Wow, sorry to hear this, but glad you're feeling better! def makes you think you never know what a day might hold. Take care!!!

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
So sorry, yes, you should go in. Brain fuzzies would have gotten you whisked through emergency and checked out. Broke my shoulder last year, it 'merely hurt', what did I know. I got steam-rolled past all the people in the waiting room. Thank you for the update, I was thinking of you. My husband got a concussion one year from slipping on ice (walking the dog) and 'just didn't feel quite right' and finally went to the doctor who diagnosed concussion (my husband hadn't even thought of that, only the doctor's question had him remember the fall). But, really, there was nothing to do but wait for it to get better. Take care.
Shoulder I irises don’t always hurt in the area that is injured. I got one and thought it was my arm. It didn’t show up on an xray. Finally, after weeks of pain, someone got the idea to do an MRI and there it was. You are very lucky they insisted on checking right away.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Better yes. Still very sore. But clear headed. My hand had a set back, it closed up a bit to fast. I had to open it and drain some gunk out. Should be better now.
I’m sure you know this, but please try to switch your health insurance. You are in Canada? Don’t they have mandatory healthcare?

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I’m sure you know this, but please try to switch your health insurance. You are in Canada? Don’t they have mandatory healthcare?
We do. But it's all provincially run. So ever time you move to a new province you have only a few months coverage. Since I am religious about filing taxes they know I am in Ontario, which makes my Alberta coverage invalid.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Can you get Ontario coverage? I don’t understand how your system works, but I doubt they want you sitting home with injuries. I heard corona isn’t bad in some of the provinces so at least you don’t have that going on.

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Oh it's here. I am not seeing the panic though.
I will apply for coverage I just haven't bothered since I don't get sick and seldom go to a doctor.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Visit to the doctor free. I had to pay for parking for my shoulder surgery. Doctor visit is free, time off work etc. can be a problem. We Canucks can be surprisingly frugal about not wanting to waste the doctor's time. With a bump on head, no doctor would agree.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Go to Service Ontario and get your self switched over to OHIP coverage as soon as possible. The coronavirus situation is changing rapidly from day to day here and there are community cases now, even in Northern Ontario. Just this afternoon all public schools in the province have been closed until the beginning of April, effective tomorrow when March Break begins. We are about to get an influx of snowbirds back to Canada a bit early as many of the vacation spots in the US have increasing numbers of cases. Chances are some will be infected. There is no cause for panic certainly but sensible precautions, including updating insurance coverage are reasonable.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Further thoughts, it takes three months after application for OHIP benefits to begin, during which time your Alberta coverage will pay for most things.
Moving from one province to another – How does it affect your health care?
Snowbirds from Alberta vacationing out-of-country can be covered for up to 212 days so individuals moving to another province may have the same amount of coverage, worth checking. You may be a very healthy individual but as you just found out, accidents happen and could be a lot worse than what you experienced. You are paying (plenty!) for health care through your taxes, you need to be able to access care without hassles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well I did not die in my sleep. That's a good sign!
Someone asked if he could go after me for damaging his car! Lol. Umm no. Even if I stepped sideways to avoid something it is a driver's responsibility to watch for pedestrians.
I am very sore, and I was pretty rattled yesterday. It took a few minutes for me to figure out what happened. I'm still not clear on it.
Not sure if my pupils were dilated. Most of the afternoon and evening is a bit fuzzy.
Tim, I have panic attacks about getting hurt or injured and Shadow being alone. It freaks me out. Badly.
Stop those panic attacks Spend the time now to find a good dog sitter and put them on speed dial. For your dog’s sake don‘t wait. They are hard to find and worth every penny they charge...If they‘re really good pay them extra, send them birthday cards, etc. We found a lady who is wonderful. We try to use her at least once every few months or so, just so the dogs know her, she knows them, and we keep in contact. Then when something like this happens, your dogs are taken care of.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts