German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, that was an entertaining day. Walking across the parking lot, minding my own business and all of a sudden I'm on the ground. Apparently a car hit me, although he says I walked into the car.
Paramedics thought I should get checked out, but I said that I promised the dog I would only be a couple of hours so no. They seemed concerned that I hit my head so I told them that I have a really hard head and it seemed fairly hard to break, lol.
Anyway it was completely off putting and now I will need to go back to Walmart on my next day off because of course I was a bit rattled and forgot stuff. And bought stuff I did not need. Now I have 3 dozen eggs in the fridge because I was supposed to buy sausage not eggs.
Biggest annoyance was that stupid motion activated taps do not work well to rinse road rash.
I found it a bit startling that security commented that people get hit in the parking lot often. One would think that would be being addressed.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
The fact that you bought stuff you didn't need, and weren't after is a. Little disconcerting (though I do that on an almost regular basis LOL!), Err on the side of safety- for both of your sakes - and get yourself checked out!

This right here is my primary worry! If I get hurt, or have to be hospititalilized who takes care of my dog!

I wish I could help...but, just stop walking in front moving cars will ya! Shadow needs you!

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
A quick visit to an urgent care center(do you have them up there) would be a good idea. How scary, Walmart should have video showing what happened. I'd want to see, just to satisfy myself. People are careless driving in parking lots, my neighbor was hit, she backed up over him then. He was 80 and survived but his quality of life was gone. He had taken care of his lawn, and wife until then. No charges because it was on private property, which is ridiculous. I hope you're better today.

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I did not die in my sleep. That's a good sign!
Someone asked if he could go after me for damaging his car! Lol. Umm no. Even if I stepped sideways to avoid something it is a driver's responsibility to watch for pedestrians.
I am very sore, and I was pretty rattled yesterday. It took a few minutes for me to figure out what happened. I'm still not clear on it.
Not sure if my pupils were dilated. Most of the afternoon and evening is a bit fuzzy.
Tim, I have panic attacks about getting hurt or injured and Shadow being alone. It freaks me out. Badly.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Darn sorry to read about this....hope everything ends up ok...I can imagine you're sore as heck the day after...I can relate a bit due to heart surgery years ago and the meds I take....not to mention I'm not 25 anymore..in my case i have to concentrate hard most days or i drift off into la-la land as I'm walking and don't pay proper attention....I've come close to getting "whacked" before myself in the Wally world parking lot lol....get well AND watch where the heck you're walking..:giggle:

·
Registered
972 Posts
Goodness! So sorry that this happened --- and a little pissed too. I well understand your concern about leaving Shadow alone, but I'd strongly encourage you to go to an ER (early AM is probably best) and have them get a scan to make sure that you don't slow bleed or something. While it's good you that woke up this AM, that's not determinative. Also, 8 hours in the ER to get a 'quick' scan is considerably less than the time that might be required for days in ICU, for example, because something more serious popped up.

Take care of yourself.

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One of the reasons I posted this last night was because I was fighting to stay awake for a couple more hours.
I kept sort of nodding off and I am aware that some of that was shock, I was also very cold. I also know to factor the adrenaline crash. But since I knew that I had hit my head I wanted to stay awake for long enough to be fairly sure I had no real issues.
Reading what I wrote it's clear to me that I was coherent if a bit loopy, lol.

·
Super Moderator
6,142 Posts
I agree with Aly.Better to get the all clear at the hospital than to risk a coma at home with nobody to check on you periodically.Take care!

·
Registered
525 Posts
Wow. So sorry to hear this happened. I hope you're okay.
When I heard about the 3 dozen eggs...fuzzy...rattled...I thought: uh oh. You should definitely get yourself checked out just in case. So much could have happened when that car hit you. (or after)
That's funny because just this morning I was walking Kai and a car backs out a teeny-weeny driveway with at what...25 mph? (guesstimate). There was a fence in front and couldn't see him till he was right there. I was like: "Wow. Okay...that was fast." If I had been a few feet closer I would have narrowly missed being hit. Made me worried when I read your post!

Hope you feel better!

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The car was driving forward toward me. I had my back to to him. He struck the side of my leg toward the back right below my hip area. The impact was forceful enough to knock me down onto both forearms hard enough to leave bruises from wrist to elbow pretty much. And peel the skin off my left palm area. And I was wearing a winter jacket. A bright red one incidentally.
I understand how someone could miss a pedestrian while reversing, it's why you should avoid backing out of parking stalls. Safer to be backing in.
Still no excuse for racing out of driveways. Be careful folks. It's a dangerous world.

·
Registered
259 Posts
It's the damned driver's responsibility to watch out for people. So sorry this happened to you. Really you should at least go to a minute clinic or something to get checked out.

Every time I have to go to Walmart for something, and I only go there when necessary (for example, trying new insulin since the old one wasn't working), I am appalled at the driving on display in the parking lot.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I can't believe he said you "walked into his car"!!?

Being knocked down and injured, you are taking it remarkably well.
GSD people are tough...

I know a lot of people who would be screaming, crying, hysterical, suing, etc.

And, glad you are OK!

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't do hysterical female very well. Lol
I will admit to crying when it happened. Mostly because I was very confused I think. And because I'm just a big wuss!

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I don't do hysterical female very well. Lol
I will admit to crying when it happened. Mostly because I was very confused I think. And because I'm just a big wuss!
You're not a big wuss for crying. I imagine it hurt like all get out and also were is shock. Thus the being cold last night. You also may have a concussion if you hit your head which would also account for the fuzzy thinking trying to shop. You really should have gone to get checked out. That kind of hit can cause injury that can result in life long lasting pain. Trust me when I tell you having hip and back pain can be very debilitating. I hope that is not the case for you but end of the day someone hit you with a car and you could have internal injury that may bother you the rest of your days. I hope you got the drivers info just in case something pops up. His auto insurance (provided s/he has coverage) should cover any of your costs for examination/care but you have to make a claim.
Whatever you do going forward I hope you heal well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sabis,
I am glad to read that you were able to walk away from this incident. I agree with others who have suggested that you need to get checked out further. I am hoping that there was a police report taken since you mentioned that you were checked out by the paramedics. You should definitely get a copy of the accident report or any report that was taken at the scene. I would also ask Walmart if there is any video of this incident. Record (write down) anything that you can remember from this incident. Any comments that were made to you (especially the comment regarding people getting hit in the parking lot all the time) could be important in the future should you need to seek medical treatment for any reason. I am not a legal or medical expert by any means. But I do have experience investigating traffic accidents. I am not familiar with criminal law or civil matters in Canada. But please, write down everything you can remember from the incident. And if insurance companies in Canada are anything like they are in the U.S., be very cautious of what you say if you are contacted by the driver's insurance company. I hope that you are alright and continue to recover. I am sorry this happened to you.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Please go to the doctor (ha ha, a variation on go to the vet), but seriously. Tell him everything. When did you buy too many eggs, before or after getting hit? Where you coming out of walmart or going in? These are questions between you and your doctor. I am not asking you, it's not my business, I am just suggesting for you to note and tell your doctor even if answers are i don't know.
Gosh, hope you are super better soon, that's just awful. But yeah, get yourself checked out.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Did you get the driver’s information? I would go to the doctor and also file a police report, given you were hit from behind and hit your head.

I know an elderly woman who was driving slowly down a street when a child darted between cars and ran into the side of her car. Based on where and how he was hit, it was obviously not her fault. His older brother called the police, lied about how it happened, she lost her license and now the family is suing her. The point is that usually it’s always considered the driver’s fault. Not that you should sue, but you should get medical bills paid.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts