German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have dog Cerenia for my 6 month old car sickness problems. I have not used it yet because I want to save it for very long car rides.

I heard that ginger snaps or ginger pills might work? How long would i have to wait for that to work if it did?

What else could work for car sickness?

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I agree that the ginger could work (it does for people). I would try both, the ginger snaps right at the start of the drive and the pills about 45 minutes before to give them time to dissolve. Fresh air - the windows open about a couple of inches but not enough for Cerenia to stick her head out. Also short drives to different fun places like a park instead of ending up at the vets.

·
Registered
29 Posts
We used Dramamine. It's the adult version "non-drowsy", and it contains meclizine. Our puppy would get so sick, and this is fairly inexpensive, you can buy generic, and worked great! After a few months of using it, she has outgrown her car sickness!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,793 Posts
There are a couple of different natural things you can try. Every dog is different. Your dog may respond to just one of the remedies listed below. Since we were traveling 1,700 miles with our pup, we didn't want to take a chance so we took them all, and used them!
*Make sure he has not eaten at least 4/5 hours before entering car.
*Start car and cool down with air conditioner about 5 minutes before entering.
*Try putting a soft mat (like bed sponge) with a towel or old sheet over it, on the floor of the front seat or in the back of the car for him to lay on.
Here are a few remedies you can choose from:
1. *"Bach Rescue Remedy". These are flower essences. Give 2 or 3 droppers full 15 minutes or so before ride. Shake well to activate. They won't like this one too much! It has an alcohol base. Gently pull open cheek and squirt it on to the gums. Can be obtained from a health food store (not GNC).
2. * “Oscillococcinum” (at a health food store and now also sold at Walgreen's). This is a homeopathic remedy for flu. It comes in a small yellow, white and orange box usually located by cold and flu remedies. It has 3 to 6 small vials in each. Each vial is filled with very, very small white pellets. They should not have eaten or drank for approximately 20 minutes before and after giving this. Pour about 20 to 30 little pellets into your hand. Moisten your finger and touch the pellets onto your finger. Gently open puppy's mouth and rub on tongue. They will dissolve almost immediately. DO NOT pour any extras pellets back into vial as this will "foul" the rest because it touched your hand. Homeopathy is a different form of natural medicine that works WITH the body instead of covering up symptoms. Give 2 doses the night before you plan to travel and 2 doses about 30 minutes apart before you leave that day.
3. * "Travel Aide" is a combination of different homeopathic’s (shake well to activate). You can give one or two doses the night before travel and then two or three doses before you leave and during the trip if needed. It is a liquid that you would gently squirt on to your dogs gum area. No food 30 minutes before or after dose. You can purchase this from www.naturalrearing.com or 541-899-2080
4. *"Fear & Stress" is another homeopathic liquid blend for stress (shake well to activate). This is also good for dogs afraid of storms or any stressful situation. Give two doses, away from food & water, 1/2 hour apart before ride. A dose is 2 droppers. Also purchased from Natural Rearing. As with other homeopathic’s this can be given periodically throughout the day IF needed.
5.*"Valarian Root" is a herbal that acts similar to Valium that people take for nerves. You will have to shove one or 2 capsules down his throat. It is bitter and bad smelling. Try this at home to see how many pills effects him. Give about an hour before you leave with a little treat after shoving. This could make him sleepy or off balance.

Hope one of these helps your baby!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I used to have a dog (about the size of a GSD) who got horribly carsick. I dosed him with about 1/2 teaspoon of ginger kneaded into walnut-sized chunks of ground beef or turkey. Thirty minutes later, he was fine for about 6 hours on the road.

I looked at that as transitory, and worked on addressing his anxiety. We'd spend time in the van or car, just playing, clipping nails, brushing, having a snack, or napping. He eventually reached the point where car-sickness only became an issue on bad roads.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well thank you all for the really great responses.
Momto2GSDs I have a feeling the valarian root will really work. So i will try that ginger pills, dramamine, and the other suggestions on keeping her comfortable.
And i will try the rest of those until i find one that works for my baby. :)

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
I would go with the ginger, not Dramamine, peppermint is also good for upset tummy - tea form or capsules - not mints!:)

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Sometimes they out grow it. Lakota would get car sick if it was soon after eating, we used to have early obedience classes too soon after breakfast. I started giving her half and the rest when we got home. Now I think her excessive love for my truck helped resolve that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts